Bill Bedford handrail jig -how to use?

• RMweb Gold

Carefully!

Measure the length of handrail required with a pair of dividers and then find the two holes with the same spacing on the jig.

Bend the handrail wire to 90 degrees at one end.

Put the bent end in the inner hole and hold tightly from the underneath, eg with smooth jaw pliers.

Lay the wire in the groove, and making sure it is lying flat, bend it over at the open end of the jig.

The problem with the jig is that it only really works well and accurately with wire of the same diameter as the holes, I finished up making my own jig for 0.33mm wire and tend not to use the BB one any more.

Mike.

Or forget about the jig. Bend wire to 90° put in one of the holes it will fit into. Get your chosen pliers, place them between the hole with the wire in and the hole where it needs to go. Slide out the pliers until on the inner edge of the hole. Lift away from model, bend down wire. Cut leg to appropriate length. This will automatically allow for any alterations in hole positions. Also far quicker to do, than with jig or to explain.

• RMweb Gold

Here's a wee tip -  use 2 BB jigs glued back to back with strips of plasticard spacers to avoid blocking the holes. It makes it easier to get square bends at right angles.

This is a work of genius.

It gets around the “legs not lining up problem” I’ve experienced. Thank you for sharing.

• RMweb Premium

I long ago gave up using the BB jig - too much play in the holes when you're bending 0.3 or 0.4 wire. 

Instead, I cut a bit of 40 thou to fit between the holes in the body at either end of where the handrail will go. I then bend the wire around the 40 thou (off the model) with pliers. 

I then label all the pieces of 40 thou and keep them together in a box for future use. 

• RMweb Premium

I don't understand the adverse criticism here.  I've found the Bedford handrail jig very useful, particularly when I've had to make a number of identical handrails.  Last night I used it to make two short handrails using .31 brass wire.  OK, it was bit fiddly, but it worked.

DT

I don't understand the adverse criticism here.  I've found the Bedford handrail jig very useful, particularly when I've had to make a number of identical handrails.  Last night I used it to make two short handrails using .31 brass wire.  OK, it was bit fiddly, but it worked.

DT

It's not a case of putting the jig down, I just find it a very long winded way of making handrails. My problem with it was having to accurately measure the pair of holes then find the matching pair on the jig. Then mark it to aide memory. I find just using good pliers there's no measuring, or finding the holes in the jig. For me it takes less than a third of the time and the tool is always on the bench.

• RMweb Premium

My problem with it was having to accurately measure the pair of holes then find the matching pair on the jig. Then mark it to aide memory.

While I agree with that to a considerable extent, it's surely no more difficult than lining up the pair of holes and then trying to make acurate handrails using a pair of pliers, especially if you've got more than one handrail to do.

DT

DT

I don't think people are being adverse. It's just horses for courses. Some find it easier using them and others find it easier not to.

Each to their own!

Khris

It's not a case of putting the jig down, I just find it a very long winded way of making handrails. My problem with it was having to accurately measure the pair of holes then find the matching pair on the jig. Then mark it to aide memory. I find just using good pliers there's no measuring, or finding the holes in the jig. For me it takes less than a third of the time and the tool is always on the bench.

My preferred method of use :-

i] drill one hole

ii] form handrail using jig

iii] cut off handrail so that one leg is slightly longer than the other

iv] place long leg in drilled hole and use the other leg to lightly mark the position for the second hole

v] drill second hole

vi] fit handrail in exactly matching holes.

All this can be done in a tiny fraction of the time it takes to type!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.