Bachmann Class 03 - running in getting squeaky!

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I have just bought myself a Bachmann 'Military Manoeuvres' set.  On running in the class 03 loco it started off near silent but after a few minutes begins to make a squeaking noise.  The frequency of squeaks keeps pace with the loco speed.  At first I thought this may be a lack of lubrication however there seems to be sufficient factory grease on the worm, axles, etc.  I can't see any obvious signs of something rubbing.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

Something rotating isn't rotating as freely as it should be.  My advice would be to strip the loco down to the extent of taking off the body and removing the plastic keeper plate that holds the axles in place; take care with this as the pickup wires are attached to it and they are delicate.  Take the wheels out, and clean everything thoroughly with a spirit based cleaner (I use Maplin's electrical switch cleaner in a rattle can, but am running out and will soon need to find a replacement).  This apparently counter-intuitive idea is based on the point that you don't know how long your loco has been on the shelf in the retailer's premises, or if it has been stored for any period of time apart from that, and the factory applied grease hardens over time, becoming a coagulant rather than a lubricant.  I've seen 'brand new in the box never taken out of it' locos that are seized completely because of this.

Manufacturers use this grease because it works well enough so long as it is reasonably fresh and the use of a more liquid lubricant has implications in packing and transport insurance, but my policy is to replace it as soon as I can on new models, and immediately on any secondhand or 'offer' models that might have been stored out of use for any time.

Leave 24 hours for the spirit to evaporate, and re-lube everything that needs it (the lubrication points are given in the service sheet that accompanies the loco; if you don't have this for whatever reason you can download it as a pdf from Baccy's website), as sparingly as you can get away with as surplus lube will attract gunge.  I use 'Expo Fine Grade Oil 74326' which I bought at Antics some time ago (a little goes a long way) as I was assured that it is safe to use with plastics (it is), and apply it with a hypodermic syringe, also from Antics.  Keep this hypo with your modelling tools and away from any others used for any other purpose in your household, for obvious reasons.

When you re-assemble the loco, you may need to play around with the keeper plate retaining screws to get the absolute smoothest possible performance; too tight will bind on the axles and too loose will affect the gear meshing.  Your loco should now run smoothly and silently; ask again if it doesn't.

The factory grease is very thick and might not be where it should be so try easing some of it onto all the moving parts with a cocktail stick or something similar, just because there is a mountain of grease beside something doesnt mean the grease is actually touching it.

Or a Johnster proposes, remove as much of the grease as possible and replace with proper modelling oil, this option is the best if you are confident enough.

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Although it all sounds a little drastic for a new loco, I see where Johnster is coming from.

Can anyone recommend a spirit based cleaner?  I've already got a suitable lubricant to use in place of the grease.

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

I just use kitchen roll, toilet roll and cotton buds, I have never bothered with spirit based cleaners due to (in my mind) long term possibility of problems with the chassis and body, plus of course as you are removing a lubricant any which is left behind wont do any harm anyway.

• RMweb Gold

I have had no problems with the Maplin's stuff, so far, in over 2 years of use, and while I do not deliberately try to get it on plastic bits, it gets on them anyway, nylon gears and the keeper plate mostly.  The rattlecan is powerful enough to physically blow most of the crud away; the residue can be taken off with cotton buds but I don't like using these as the threads get in places I don't want them; spray them first to keep this in check.

With Maplin's, only 5 minutes up the road for me, now as the snows of yesteryear and my can nearly empty (t gets used for all sorts of cleaning jobs on the layout and has lasted over 18 months, so I have no complaints), I need to find a replacement, and I suspect Curry's/PC World, a few minutes further up the road, may be able to come up with da goodz.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Johnster,

Thanks for the advice though, based on past experience, I may avoid the high street retailer in question.  You have given me another idea, and that is to try one of the computer build/repair shops across the city.

Many thanks.

Alex.

Another one to check is that the jackshafts are rotating freely. It is not unheard of on some 03s to cause problems (The first release green with yellow ends in particular) so I disconnected them on my 2 as you can't really see them behind the steps.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

When I posted about this yesterday morning, I also dropped and email to Bachmann to get their take on the subject.  First thing this morning I received a response with a simple instruction - return the loco/set; they also apologised for the inconvenience.

Quite impressed by their efficiency.

Again, thanks for the help as it'll come in useful as I am on the lookout for a couple of blue ones.

Regards,

Alex.