A country lane level crossing

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

This will be a simple, country lane / remote box level crossing, using the free Corgi Mini Cooper S and a Modelu figure (1437) leaning on the car roof, whilst the crossing gates are shut.

Concept images:

post-7025-0-05204100-1546605469_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-57771800-1546605472_thumb.jpg

The lane will be wet & muddy, with puddles and pot holes, the grass bank & hedge overgrown and on the far side of the track the base of the signal box (depending on the height available).

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I'm glad you put "concept images", I thought you'd finished...

Seriously though, I'll be watching this with interest, you do "countryside" very well in 00, so it'll be fascinating to see what you can do in O.

Cheers Stu,

Al.

EDIT: And interesting to compare with the other level crossing entry, too!

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The mini was a BRM give away, either last year or 2017. You had to write in, and it's a limited edition.

The plan is a theory, but I think it will work. If not there might be 3 entries.

Is it as cunning as a fox that’s just been made professor of cunning at Oxford University? (etc, etc) :jester:

I like the look of this and it’ll be interesting to see more. Can I ask what you meant by the ‘free’ car?

And will the mud make it the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck to a sticky bun?

• Like 1

This will be a simple, country lane / remote box level crossing, using the free Corgi Mini Cooper S and a Modelu figure (1437) leaning on the car roof, whilst the crossing gates are shut.

Concept images:

attachicon.gif20190104_123016.jpg

attachicon.gif20190104_123024.jpg

The lane will be wet & muddy, with puddles and pot holes, the grass bank & hedge overgrown and on the far side of the track the base of the signal box (depending on the height available).

post-21098-0-74930400-1546895271.jpg

Well, it is O gauge!  Just add puddles and pot holes :O

The four cars in front are some of those I've owned over the years.

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 2

I like the muddy lane idea, and it will show us how to do water in puddles. I have not done water yet so hope you post how you do yours. Also, what do you use to make the hedges? I use pot scourers cut up and teased out, as they are green I can paint them without the worry of different colours showing through

It is fun doing Gauges other than the one you usually work in. 

• RMweb Gold

Most of the techniques to be used, for both the road and hedges, will be straight out of Gordon Gravett's excellent books.

The rest of the scenic work will be ideas from my own slightly obtuse imagination.

Progress will be shown, if only how not to do it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A bit of a light-bulb moment yesterday - I can save both width on the track and the length of the crossing gates by using NG track...

Obvious, really, especially as I have been looking at the Ffestiniog crossing at Penrhyndeudraeth as a possible scene.

post-7025-0-89534700-1548249255_thumb.png

• Like 5

Looking forward to seeing this one develop Stu :)
Level crossings just ooze railway atmosphere. I think there's also an exciting sense of tension around them - well, if you like trains there is
Perhaps if you're in a car, and late for work, you may have a different outlook? ;)

Maybe the scene would benefit from a little hut, next to the crossing gate, like the one in the photo of the Ffestiniog railway? Or something a tad more substantial?
I like the figure of the guy, leaning on the roof of the car - great pose, and it will add nice interesting detail

EDIT: I can picture it now, the back of the lineside hut, to the left of the scene.... and perhaps a mirror? Some things never change eh? lol

Edited by marc smith

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Marc.

I really ought to make a start on this, which will explain further the 3-into-1 concept.

On the left of the road will be the steps of a signal box, and/or the end of the box itself, as a view blocker for the left track exit.

The rear gate will be up against the backscene, which will be mostly plain sky.

The 1st version will have one of the lads stood on a fence. To the right will be the overgrown hedge.

The 2nd version sees the lad, now a young man, waiting with his bike or motor bike. The hedge has been replaced with a new motor garage.

The 3rd version shows the same chap again, stood leaning on his car, the garage has now become much more run down.

The hedge and two garages will be alterative sub-sections, leaving the road and gates as the constant items.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 7