LNWR London Road - Locomotives and rolling stock

A LRM 42' Bk/3rd and a Microrail 42' Lav Composite. The latter ........ I also modelled it with the additional third class lavatories as shown by the extra frosted windows.

attachicon.gif42' Bk 3rd and Lugg Comp.jpg

The right hand coach (Dia. 161) - with the additional lav., provision - I hadn't seen before  :scratchhead:  

I had the Micro-Rail kit of the Dia 165, then took out the Luggage Windows to make it a Lugg/Guard D229 version.

Note even though the central compt., now has a Guard, the two waist panels still have slates in them, not one painted white with 'Guard' lettering in it.  I wonder if Jol's is right, being just a luggage compt., but with one of the doors lettered ?

My model is based on a photo taken at Bewdley, and I wrote an article about it in the HMRS Journal, probably some 30 years ago.  For my Central wales Line I've added Swansea to the destination roof boards  :sungum:

post-6979-0-36556100-1493824083_thumb.jpg

For completeness, this is the text I used in the HMRS article :

LNWR The second coach is an elusive vehicle, this being the first known photograph of the LNWR Dia229 42ft radial brake composites. They were built as Dia 165 radial lavatory composites, then in 1904-06 seven coaches were rebuilt to Dia 229. of which two were from an early batch of 165s built with the wider 2’ 2” first class doors, numbers 36 and 637.  Close scrutiny of the picture shows this vehicle to have 2’ 2”  doors and a three digit number, thus it’s 637, built December 1885.

The conversion to Dia 229 involved changing the central luggage compartment to guards accommodation. 

The 1915 Diagram Book indicates that there was only a single door fitted, but from the picture we can see that the original luggage compartment doors were retained*. Note the original slate panels, and new droplight windows fitted.

LNWR Roof Boards

The roof boards are of the later 6ft 6in length, high roof stock style, with white letters on a blue background.  The  legend  reads  THROUGH CARRIAGE BETWEEN BIRMINGHAM & WOOFFERTON VIA SMETHWICK. On the board reading WOOFFERTON, the reverse side has KIDDERMINSTER.

All  seven of the Dia 229’s are shown in the 1910 marshalling circulars as being allocated to this route. Coach 637 was renumbered to 5815 on the 14 February 1911 and supplemented c1920, renumbered 09548 by the LMS on 17 March 1925 and scrapped by 1933 ( Edit - Data from Philip Millard).

Further * The single door has been drawn as 2 doors in Philip Millard & Ian Tattersall's book 'L&NWR Non-Corridor Carriages',  I had to confirm the arrangement with the Bewdley photograph - Crew North of this Parish may understand..

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 8

Hi Jol

Are the Stevenson / Brian Badger coaches still available I would like to do an Arc roof corridor train

Joh

Stevensons carriages are still available in the hands of Paul Barker IIRC. He attends a number of shows under the name Stevensons Carriages but does not have an internet presence.  The shows are mainly in the North/Midlands.

I'm not too sure how many corridor arc coaches he has but there is always the Ratio LNWR offering.

Peter

The right hand coach (Dia. 161) - with the additional lav., provision - I hadn't seen before  :scratchhead:  

I had the Micro-Rail kit of the Dia 165, then took out the Luggage Windows to make it a Lugg/Guard D229 version.

Note even though the central compt., now has a Guard, the two waist panels still have slates in them, not one painted white with 'Guard' lettering in it.  I wonder if Jol's is right, being just a luggage compt., but with one of the doors lettered ?

My model is based on a photo taken at Bewdley, and I wrote an article about it in the HMRS Journal, probably some 30 years ago.  For my Central wales Line I've added Swansea to the destination roof boards  :sungum:

attachicon.gifD229 Ex D165.jpg

LNWR The second coach is an elusive vehicle, this being the first known photograph of the LNWR Dia229 42ft radial brake composites. They were built as Dia 165 radial lavatory composites, then in 1904-06 seven coaches were rebuilt to Dia 229. of which two were from an early batch of 165s built with the wider 2’ 2” first class doors, numbers 36 and 637.  Close scrutiny of the picture shows this vehicle to have 2’ 2”  doors and a three digit number, thus it’s 637, built December 1885.

The conversion to Dia 229 involved changing the central luggage compartment to guards accommodation. 

The 1915 Diagram Book indicates that there was only a single door fitted, but from the picture we can see that the original luggage compartment doors were retained*. Note the original slate panels, and new droplight windows fitted.

LNWR Roof Boards

The roof boards are of the later 6ft 6in length, high roof stock style, with white letters on a blue background.  The  legend  reads  THROUGH CARRIAGE BETWEEN BIRMINGHAM & WOOFFERTON VIA SMETHWICK. On the board reading WOOFFERTON, the reverse side has KIDDERMINSTER.

All  seven of the Dia 229’s are shown in the 1910 marshalling circulars as being allocated to this route. Coach 637 was renumbered to 5815 on the 14 February 1911 and supplemented c1920, renumbered 09548 by the LMS on 17 March 1925 and scrapped by 1933 ( Edit - Data from Philip Millard).

Further * The single door has been drawn as 2 doors in Philip Millard & Ian Tattersall's book 'L&NWR Non-Corridor Carriages',  I had to confirm the arrangement with the Bewdley photograph - Crew North of this Parish may understand..

I have long wondered what happened to this coach once it got to Woofferton; where was it kept overnight? It was attached to the GWR branch train on the Bewdley line on it's way to and from Birmingham.  How did it get to Woofferton?

• Like 2

I have long wondered what happened to this coach once it got to Woofferton; where was it kept overnight? It was attached to the GWR branch train on the Bewdley line on it's way to and from Birmingham.  How did it get to Woofferton?

In short, I don't know... 

I lost a lot of my notes, photo's etc.,  back in 1995 - domestic.

One of my problems is... I keep looking, and looking, and..... 

then I realise a week's gone by   :O  

Edited by Penlan

In short, I don't know... 

I lost a lot of my notes, photo's etc.,  back in 1995 - domestic.

One of my problems is... I keep looking, and looking, and..... 

then I realise a week's gone by   :O  

I have no idea either.  

It was attached to the 7:02 at Woofferton.  I model the North to West line so it had to have run down this line to get to Woofferton unless it was stabled there overnight.  It arrived at Woofferton off the 18:38 the night before.  It does not appear anywhere else in the carriage diagrams.

For me this is relevant as I am currently modelling the rest of the train (GW Circuit Train) that made up the 7:02 which started out at Leominster at 6:40; if it was already attached at Leominster that would give me a good excuse to model the LNWR through compo also.  Many weeks have gone by since I started making this particular train of course.

• Like 2

Hi Jol

Are the Stevenson / Brian Badger coaches still available I would like to do an Arc roof corridor train

Joh

John,

Peter has already answered your question regarding the ex Badger kits. I don't have a list of the current range of Stevenson Carriages kits, but I don't recall the 42' Arc roof WCJS stock being among them. You'll have to write for a list, I think.

The range, when BS ran it, seemed to consist of the later, larger stuff. He only introduced two new kits, the 45' Clerestory vans and sadly didn't take the opportunity to upgrade the kits with etched ends, etc. The kits are quite heavy when built (paxolin floor, cast ends, etc.) so need free running bogies. Using etched bogies and keeping/hacking the cast sides usually sorts that out. For some reason the gangways were always sold as an "extra". I find the sponge strip supplied to provide the flexibility too stiff,so have been experimenting with PB strip springs.

I don't know what changes may have been introduced by Paul Barker, as the only BS kit I have - the 45' Boff bicycle van - was bought directly from him (all the others were original Badger kits).

• Like 1

attachicon.gifD229 Ex D165.jpg

LNWR Roof Boards

Sandy,

how did you make the Destination Boards. Brian Badger included some of the small ones with the 42' WCJS arc roof etched kit and I think he also produced some of the later, simple, roof mounted ones.

Likewise how did you produce the etched windows.I want the same for the D10 but can't find a drawing or photo of the WCJS version.

• Like 1

1. how did you make the Destination Boards.

2. Likewise how did you produce the etched windows.I want the same for the D10 but can't find a drawing or photo of the WCJS version.

1. These are from brass strip, and 'pins' soldered to the back at the correct (more or less - 26mm) centres.

..... Holes in the roof to receive the pins.  The lettering, computer printed and glued on.  

..... I use Excel to work at the lettering, as I can then print it off to whatever reduced size I like.

.... I don't have Publisher etc., and Excel is something I've worked in for more years than I can remember -  

.... I've probably got a DOS version somewhere   :O 

.... Thinking about the lettering, I may even have printed it off 'largish', copied it (.jpeg) and then tweaked some

.... of the shapes in PaintShopPro (an old version) and put it back into Excel.

2.. The 'etched' windows are 'Magic Tape' - like Sellotape, I don't know if the tape these days is the same spec.,

.... everything changes over time - with a very fine lead pencil and magnifier to create the image.

.... The information for the design?  I'm sure I've seen a photo of the real etched window sometime or other,

.... but also, back in the 1970's there was a LNWR Family Saloon in a field off the M50, I measured it up,

.... 'rescued' some of the windows - including an etched window - and these were handed over to

.... the LNWR Society back in the late 1970's.

.... There were a few failures (air bubbles) with the Magic Tape,

.... but that was at a time when I was working and had a young family, 

.... I had more time to myself to do such things then, now I'm retired, failing eye-sight, etc., etc.,

.... now, there's no spare time.

Your welcome to the info., 

Right off out now - SagaLouts night out, again  :sungum: 

I've had to make a promise not to post anything after going out with the lads.. who are all over 70  :devil:

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 3

... I don't have a list of the current range of Stevenson Carriages kits, but I don't recall the 42' Arc roof WCJS stock being among them. You'll have to write for a list, I think.

I have a list but I am not too sure how current it is.  Of interest might be:

WCJS/LNWR D54 42' Compo Corridor

WCJS/LNWR D68 42' Break Third

Some of these, or similar, could be available from LRM also.  Everything else is older types apart from the vans mentioned by Jol.

When I lived in Coventry my local model shop was Modellers World. It was owned by Barry Jones and yes he did produce some etched L.N.W.R coaching stock.

There were some 6 wheeled coaches. Some short bogie stock,a dining car 12 wheeler.

He was also working on the royal train stock. If my memory serves me right there were also a couple of vans ( bicycle van?)

What happened to the art work and who bought the range I have no idea.

A certain Mr Pete Waterman was a regular in the shop on a Saturday along with Ralph Jackson of Jackson Evans nameplates,Mr Shaw of Shawplan.

It was a great place to meet and chat on a Saturday. Loads of bits and pieces,kits and rtr to buy.

Brings back great memories.

All the best Steve

I have a list but I am not too sure how current it is.  Of interest might be:

WCJS/LNWR D54 42' Compo Corridor

WCJS/LNWR D68 42' Break Third

Some of these, or similar, could be available from LRM also.  Everything else is older types apart from the vans mentioned by Jol.

Peter,

thanks, I should have known to look here as well;

http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Modelling/4mmcarriages

Re Modellers World, I only visited Barry Jones'  shop a couple of times when on business trips to Coventry. I bought the D9 kit during one of those visit but never met Barry as his wife was behind the counter.

I think he was one of a group of modellers in the Midlands with an interest in the LNWR and it's coaches. Several people have supplied etched kits and sides over the years, many of the same diagrams and possibly from the same artwork/tools. They included, I believe, Eroll Surman, Ralph Jackson, Brian Badger and David Gillott. 

As far as I know LNWR kits were available from various "trade names", including 247 Developments, M&L, MicroRail, Brain Badger, Modellers World and Jackson Evans. An interesting if, at this distance, rather confusing picture.

As far as I can see, most of the original kits have now found new homes, with the exception of the Modellers World range. That's a pity as it included some of the 12 wheel stock. I think some of the etched sides/ends were also available through 247 but Errol Surman seems to have kept ownership of those and they haven't been available since 2014. LRM has also continued to introduce new LNWR carriage kits, including some improved versions of the early 6 wheel kits available from others. 

Jol

• Like 1

The D229 is interesting to me in that it's the only LNWR brake coach I've found without side lookouts. My layout-in-planning involves exchange of through coaches between the LNWR and SER, and none of the normal LNWR brakes will fit the SER's emaciated loading-gauge; the lookouts make them too wide. I think I will need to build one or two D229 myself...

Worsley Works also have 4mm LNWR Arc roof corridor stock.  I have a couple of these i.e the D43 I think

Arc Roof    Brake Third Corridor D71 42'         Brake Third Corridor D66 50'         Brake First Corridor  D19 50'         First Corridor D15 50'        

Arc Roof - WCJS       Corridor Composite D31 45'         Brake Composite Corridor D43 45'         Corridor Third D53 45'        

Edited by Brassey
  • Like 2

Peter,

don't tempt  me.

I have a set of Trevor Charlton sides for a  WCJS D56 42' Third, so that'll make up three to go with the D10 diner, plus I have a D317 Brake/Third from TC sides I'll add to the set. That is the "unusual" end brake compartment 50' arc roof version.

That's about all the fiddle yard traversers will hold although five 42' plus the diner should fit if I get two more 42' kits.

I haven't seen a WW kit. The sides are reasonably priced but the cost of the "kit" to include floor and roof is quite a bit more. Do you have the kit or jsut thes sides/ends

Jol

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 1

Peter,

I haven't seen a WW kit. The sides are reasonably priced but the cost of the "kit" to include floor and roof is quite a bit more. Do you have the kit or jsut thes sides/ends

Jol

Jol

I think I ordered two sets of sides/ends only for the D43 Break Compos but complete kits of GWR Clerestorys.  

I also had sides and ends custom etched for the Hereford to Tamworth Post Office vehicle from a copy of the original plan provided by Phillip Millard.  Can't remember the diagram number.  He built the same vehicle and he used the Stevensons Clerestory resin roof which is also what I have planned.  Alan from Worsley Works said he would have preferred to have etched the roof too though but that would have added to the cost.  I may live to regret that decision.

I don't have room in my fiddle yards for any of this but that's another story.  Weren't you planning to make London Road a roundy?

Peter

PS "Coach bogie" of this parish has shown WW GWR coaches under construction in various threads on here and they seem to go together pretty well 

Edited to add PS

Edited by Brassey

The D229 is interesting to me in that it's the only LNWR brake coach I've found without side lookouts. 

Do you mean'... it's the only 42' LNWR brake coach ...' ?

Because there are one or two others of other lengths, like the

D343 50' 7 Compt all Third Brake, which I believe has been drawn incorrectly in the LNWR Non-Corridor Carriages book by Millard and Tattersall, in that they have followed the 1915 Coach Diagram book details, e.g. Only one door is shown for the Brake/Lugg Compt.

There may of course be a Wolverton GA drawing. The book and the Diagram book show's just one door.

When I queried this a while ago, I was informed that indeed there was only one door, and in fact told to buy the Millard & Tattersall book for details, which I did, but I had found this photo below which is of a type that's in neither of the above books. 

In the past I had pointed out that the Dia 229 had twin doors to the Guard/Luggage Compt, - the 1915 Coach Diagram book only has one door shown for the Guard/Lugg compt., Again I needed the photo to confirm the arrangements.

As will be seen, the configuration of the D343 from this end is window-door-door (the top of the window is 'just' visible)

- then compt., wall beading and into the standard window-door-window for the rest of the coach.

post-6979-0-32913800-1493946528_thumb.jpg

post-6979-0-37353800-1493946502_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Jol

I think I ordered two sets of sides/ends only for the D43 Break Compos but complete kits of GWR Clerestorys.  

I also had sides and ends custom etched for the Hereford to Tamworth Post Office vehicle from a copy of the original plan provided by Phillip Millard.  Can't remember the diagram number.  He built the same vehicle and he used the Stevensons Clerestory resin roof which is also what I have planned.  Alan from Worsley Works said he would have preferred to have etched the roof too though but that would have added to the cost.  I may live to regret that decision.

I don't have room in my fiddle yards for any of this but that's another story.  Weren't you planning to make London Road a roundy?

Peter

PS "Coach bogie" of this parish has shown WW GWR coaches under construction in various threads on here and they seem to go together pretty well 

Edited to add PS

Thanks Peter, 

I'll stick with a Stevenson Carriages kit for another 42' WCJS Composite. I can the add the LRM 42 Full Brake I already have built to give a six coach rake which should fit the traverser

I used to own a four track circular test track, built by John Redrup on boards/legs he commissioned from Red Dog. We did discuss using it as part of another layout proposal, but I sold it on before we bought London Road back. It is now in the hands of the S4 Society North London Group.

Jol

• Like 1

Do you mean'... it's the only 42' LNWR brake coach ...' ?

Because there are one or two others of other lengths, like the

D343 50' 7 Compt all Third Brake, which I believe has been drawn incorrectly in the LNWR Non-Corridor Carriages book by Millard and Tattersall, in that they have followed the 1915 Coach Diagram book details, e.g. Only one door is shown for the Brake/Lugg Compt.

There may of course be a Wolverton GA drawing. The book and the Diagram book show's just one door.

When I queried this a while ago, I was informed that indeed there was only one door, and in fact told to buy the Millard & Tattersall book for details, which I did, but I had found this photo below which is of a type that's in neither of the above books. 

In the past I had pointed out that the Dia 229 had twin doors to the Guard/Luggage Compt, - the 1915 Coach Diagram book only has one door shown for the Guard/Lugg compt., Again I needed the photo to confirm the arrangements.

As will be seen, the configuration of the D343 from this end is window-door-door (the top of the window is 'just' visible)

- then compt., wall beading and into the standard window-door-window for the rest of the coach.

attachicon.gifEbbw Vale D343 Coach.jpg

attachicon.gifEbbw Vale D343 - Detail.jpg

Up to today, D229 was the only ducket-less brake I'd found. Just this morning, I found in Jenkinson a 50' WCJS brake that looks like the D343 in your photo. I was wondering when it might have been cascaded to LNWR service and it looks like 1914 is a possible date. The WCJS brake would be allowed on the (ex)-SER as it was 8'6" wide, but I presume that it would not have been detached as a through coach while formed in a WCJS train.

D229 is still important to me, as it could have worked through to Folkestone harbour when the harbour branch still has length restrictions.

Up to today, D229 was the only ducket-less brake I'd found. Just this morning, I found in Jenkinson a 50' WCJS brake that looks like the D343 in your photo. I was wondering when it might have been cascaded to LNWR service and it looks like 1914 is a possible date. The WCJS brake would be allowed on the (ex)-SER as it was 8'6" wide, but I presume that it would not have been detached as a through coach while formed in a WCJS train.

D229 is still important to me, as it could have worked through to Folkestone harbour when the harbour branch still has length restrictions.

Guy,

a look through the HMRS West Coast Joint Stock book shows a drawing and photos of a 50' arc roof W41 Brake Sleeping Composite  intended for through workings.They looked like ordinary corridor carriages but the seats in the 1st c;lass compartments could be pulled out to make beds. They had a small end Guards section, two 1st and three 3rd class compartments.

Other drawings and photos show 50' Brake/Composite D42, Brake/3rd D67 and Brake/1st D18, all corridor carriages without duckets on the Guards section. 

I can't find any examples of 4mm kits for these carriages. However, all they would need would be sides and ends, to use with Ratio underframes (much like the LRM 50' non corridor carriages).

Jol

Edited by Jol Wilkinson

...but I presume that it would not have been detached as a through coach while formed in a WCJS train.

Guy

There are plenty of examples of WCJS through carriage stock being remarshalled from a WCJS train.  Daily a break composite each left Edinburgh and Glasgow bound for Exeter on the GWR and WCJS sleeping break compos ran in the opposite direction in the winter timetables.  These would have been split/combined probably at Crewe with other stock including GWR through carriages (some of which also ran to Scotland and back)

Peter

• 1 month later...

Next projects are to finish this, rather a departure for me and London Road, but the first of the locos I designed for LRM that I have got around to building for myself. It it a NER G1 (LNER D23) and will be used with some D&S  NER Clerestory coaches being built by my friend Richard McLachan and will run as an Excursion on the layout.

The ride height needs sorting at the front - I think the pickups, which sit on top of the tyre/rim are exerting too much force and the packing between the sprung bogie and frames needs reducing. I have Fox transfers to try for the first time,  Narrow Planet made the plates for it. and it has a LRM 3038 gallon tender

post-1191-0-51348600-1496943181_thumb.jpg

I've also building a LNWR Jubilee, another kit I designed for LRM. As usual I started with the tender, a 2000g version, as I like to get that out of the way before I start on the loco. Clearance forP4 wheels is fairly tight. The tender was designed by the late George Norton, who built in EM and didn't worry about P4. This is the sixth LRM Webb tender kit I have built so I know what I need to do now.

post-1191-0-26328600-1496942472_thumb.jpg

I've also put the body of a LNWR/WCJS 42' D 54 all third together, using Trevor Charlton etched zinc sides and ends. This will now go on the back burner until the Worsley Works "kit" for a D71 42' Brake Third arrives. That is a "handed" Diagram and will give me a rake of 42' carriages with all the corridors on the same side.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 9

Jol, how are you fixing the sides and ends of the Trevor Charlton sides together, I ended up using 140 deg solder, but the zinc draws heat like a strong magnet.

Re. the tender, unless your using a RSU, I found it easier to just glue two strips of micro-strip at the top of the solebars to the underside of the 'foot' plate along the sides.

• Like 1

Jol, how are you fixing the sides and ends of the Trevor Charlton sides together, I ended up using 140 deg solder, but the zinc draws heat like a strong magnet.

Re. the tender, unless your using a RSU, I found it easier to just glue two strips of micro-strip at the top of the solebars to the underside of the 'foot' plate along the sides.

Sandy,

I used 145 deg solder with a 50W Antex TCU. As you say, the zinc really absorbs the heat. I wonder if Carrs 100 deg solder might also work.

To fit the thin overlays on the tender soldbars I used my RSU, with a chisel shaped carbon probe. The job I have the biggest difficulty with is filling in the "fingers" on the corners of the flares.

Jol