LNWR London Road - Locomotives and rolling stock

..... I'll fit the door handles after that so they don't get in the way of lining out.

Silly Q. Jol, but are you soldering the handles in place after the P&L.

I have 12 (6 wheel) coaches that are P&L'd, now worried about the paint blistering

if I solder the door and commode handles etc., in place.

Portsmouth show is a good one, but to far now I live in West Cornwall.

Edited by Penlan

Silly Q. Jol, but are you soldering the handles in place after the P&L.

I have 12 (6 wheel) coaches that are P&L'd, now worried about the paint blistering

if I solder the door and commode handles etc., in place.

Portsmouth show is a good one, but to far now I live in West Cornwall.

Hi Sandy,

I glue in the handles after painting. I make the door handles from brass pins "filed" to a T shape using an abrasive pad in my Minicraft drill. The commode handles I make from .45mm wire which I then squeeze in my pliers to give a flattened effect. These both fit the etched holes in the carriage sides quite well, so a drop of "thick" superglue (which doesn't run) or some 30 minute epoxy on the back holds them in place.

Portsmouth is a good show but not easy from the far west. John (LRM) has not been invited to Bristol or any of the other major western shows AFAIK and invites to take London Road in that general direction have never happened either. Perhaps the concentration on non GWR or LSWR kits and models has kept us of anyone's' lists.  Mind you, starting from a Suffolk I might not be that keen anyway. 

Jol

....... so a drop of "thick" superglue (which doesn't run) or some 30 minute epoxy on the back holds them in place.

Many thanks Jol, somebody has mentioned using the Gorilla Gel, so looks like a purchase is on the way.

BTW I do get up Country occasionally  :sungum: 

Thought I was going to Warley NEC, this year,

....... then a Cataract operation appointment came through for the Saturday, cancelled hotel etc., 

It's a 'Welsh Friends Social' at Warley NEC for me, as well as a buy, look and eat occasion, the drinks and dinner are in the evening  :O

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks Jol, somebody has mentioned using the Gorilla Gel, so looks like a purchase is on the way.

BTW I do get up Country occasionally  :sungum: 

Thought I was going to Warley NEC, this year,

....... then a Cataract operation appointment came through for the Saturday, cancelled hotel etc., 

It's a 'Welsh Friends Social' at Warley NEC for me, as well as a buy, look and eat occasion, the drinks and dinner are in the evening  :O

Place your bets that the NHS will cancel on you on Friday, or even worse after you've turned up....

Place your bets that the NHS will cancel on you on Friday, or even worse after you've turned up....

They rang earlier today to check I was still coming.

We had rang them a week ago to say we were going/coming   :triniti: 

When I had a recent internal look by the Hospital for Cancer,

I seem to have to give the same (identity etc.,) answers about 5 times, each time written down ????  :O

Edited by Penlan

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to build one of the LRM 42' carriage kits next, choosing the later version of the D352 brake composite/third. The D352 initially had two 2nd and two 3rd class compartments, later were all 3rd class. It was an end brake design, whereas the LNWR also built many centre brake carriages. The early D352s had windows with security bars in all panelled sections of the brake compartment, whereas the later version only had one window in the panel next to the double doors.  LRM do kits for both.

I started by rolling the coach side lower curves, folding the floor and cantrail strips and adding the door vents, hinges and droplights. I fitted the plain end to one side and the ogee "partition" which has slots that fit onto tabs, to the other side. These were then joined up and the window end fitted, followed by the ogees. The photos shows the body complete except for end grab rails, steps and emergency brake gear which I'll add next, leaving the door handles until painting/lining is done. 

post-1191-0-31568000-1543844480_thumb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Stephen,

my books are in the workshop so I'll have to check tomorrow. The LNWRS website is a bit confusing. They were possibly built as radials and some converted to bogie.

The LRM kits have bogie underframes to represent the later type. I'll fit Brassmaster compensated etched bogies with the LRM cast bogie sides.

Jol

• Like 1

What I like about these LRM kits' design is how the upper hinges are part of the drop lights etch which helps considerably in applying the hinges.  Only the lower ones need applying individually.  

(I've just spent the best part of a weekend applying door hinges but not on LRM kits!)

What I like about these LRM kits' design is how the upper hinges are part of the drop lights etch which helps considerably in applying the hinges.  Only the lower ones need applying individually.  

(I've just spent the best part of a weekend applying door hinges but not on LRM kits!)

Peter,

I don't think the earliest LRM LNWR carriages had the upper door hinges in the design, notably the 50' suburban Diagrams. The 45' Family Saloon (making more progress as the roof design has now been finalised) will follow the 42' carriages in having them.

Jol

I read* that some of these were built on radial underframes...

*P.A. Millard and I. Tattersall, L&NWR Non-Corridor Carriages (L&NWR Society, 2006). 

I think you will find it's the earlier version only that were built with radial underframes,

the one with windows etc., in the luggage area.  Not the LRM version - Later style.

Even then, it's not entirely clear in the book how many of the earlier one's were built with radial underframes.

Edited by Penlan

I think you will find it's the earlier version only that were built with radial underframes,

the one with windows etc., in the luggage area.  Not the LRM version - Later style.

Even then, it's not entirely clear in the book how many of the earlier one's were built with radial underframes.

LRM produces kits for both the early and later types of the D352. Each is supplied with the bogie underframe as some of the early version were probably converted.

LRM doesn't have a radial underframe design available. Microrail/M&L did do some radial underframe carriages which went into David Geen's range of kits, but are presently no longer available.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson

• 2 weeks later...

The  D352 42ft Brake/Third and the D425 five compartment van now complete and ready to be put aside for painting later. The D352 roof isn't correctly lined up! 

I've rattle can painted the underframes, but the bodies will be painted with an air brush, firstly with PPP etch primer and then cellulose. The D352 bogies will be brush painted so I can leave the wheelsets in place. 

post-1191-0-04656500-1544890081_thumb.jpg

What next? Firstly I must finish the LNWR 45ft Family Saloon etch artwork and then I have the choice of a Worsley Works LNWR W71 WCJS 42ft Brake/Third to add to the D10 twelve wheel diner rake or I can start on the LRM LNWR 4'6" 2-4-2 Tank. I have a LRM 42ft underframe on order for the W71 Brake/Third but can borrow one out of the D292 42ft All Third kit I have in stock. The WW Brake/Third etch has just sides, ends, etc. so I need to source the rest, bogies, roof, castings, etc. as well as work out how to put it all together. There are no lower "turn-unders" to fit onto the underframe or roof support strips. I can either add those or use some test etch carriage ends as interior partitions and add mounting and roof brackets to them.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Christmas, New Year and an ongoing cold - which seems to be doing the rounds - has rather slowed things down recently. However, the design for the LNWR 45' Family saloon is complete and I am assembling the artwork for the etch tooling at the moment. As that should be done by tomorrow I have decided to make start on the 4' 6" 2-4-2T. 

I'll start on the frames and will post some photos as assembly progresses. The rear coupled axle will be driven by a Mashima 1224 with LRM 38:1 gears and motor mount. The front coupled axle will be compensated on a single pivot and the front and rear carrying axles will run in the radial trucks in the kit with light springing. 

• Like 2

Despite spending some time finishing the 45' Family Saloon etch artwork  for LRM (now with the etchers) and the rather cold weather, I have been up to the workshop and made a start on the LNWR 2-4-2 T "Mansion House" kit as attached photo. The front of the frames are on the left. Next I'll assemble the coupling rods and fit the front axle hornblock guides. make up the radial trucks and fold in their etched guides in the frame to match the trucks' curvature. Apologies for the rather poor photo.

post-1191-0-46865100-1547981767_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Loco frames looking very neat, Jol. It looks as if the frames taper in either end of the coupled wheelbase, presumably to give clearance for the radial boxes to slide sideways on curves? If so, what is the difference in frame spacing between the wide and narrow sections and what minimum radius do you think it will traverse? I ask because I have a long term plan for an ex-LNER C13 and that has no frame cut outs for the carrying wheels, so tapered frames are in prospect.

Dave.

Loco frames looking very neat, Jol. It looks as if the frames taper in either end of the coupled wheelbase, presumably to give clearance for the radial boxes to slide sideways on curves? If so, what is the difference in frame spacing between the wide and narrow sections and what minimum radius do you think it will traverse? I ask because I have a long term plan for an ex-LNER C13 and that has no frame cut outs for the carrying wheels, so tapered frames are in prospect.

Dave.

Dave,

in P4 the frames taper by 1.0mm per side so that they are 2mm narrower at the c/l of the radial trucks, which are 27mm away from the couple axles.

When I drew the artwork I calculated that the frame taper should enable the loco to get around a 30" radius curve in EM/P4, 24" on OO. The radial truck used in the kit is available from LRM as a separate part.

Jol

Jol

Can you please post a photo of the Radial Truck when built please. They maybe useful for a ex NER 2-4-2T that I have which doesn't like curves.

Mick,

this is the drawing from the instructions. The etch has 00/P4 and EM versions and guides that fit into the standard 6mm "hornblock" cut out. I should be able to add photo of the assembled radial truck tomorrow.

RT drawing.pdf

Jol

• Like 1

Peter,

the LNWR prototype radial trucks had an effective radius of about 10 feet, IIRC. The pivot point should theoretically be in the centre of the rigid coupled wheelbase.

Pony trucks have a much shorter radius, but presumably that doesn't become an issue on prototype curves. I think that most of the geometry is a bit of a compromise.

John Redrup of LRM has said that quite a few purchasers bought one initially and then bought several more, so presumably it works satisfactorily.

Jol

A bit more progress on the frames. Footplate supports, brake shaft supports, rear sandboxes, brake supports, smokebox ashpan linkage supports, firebox ashpan damper linkage, etc. I had forgotten how much detail the kit includes. I have also made up most of the other bits and pieces for the brake linkage. Next will be the "gearbox"  and motor so I can set up a motor support and pickup mounting. 

post-1191-0-79263700-1548177691_thumb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1