Freeware track planning software?

brynjames

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I used to use XtrkCad, but have now moved to SCARM, which I find much better.

Please don't think me rude, but that is not surprising really - they are chalk and cheese.  In the strictest sense, one is for computer aided design of your own point work, the other is for design of layouts using proprietary track work.  Like all things - you CAN use them in other ways, but it's better to use the right tool for the job.  As an ex-CAD system designer I could use XtrkCAD, but it would be overkill for what I want (and probably over complex - but I have never tried it).  I use AnyRail and will continue with it because I am used to it's little foibles and it does what I need - but I have always liked the look of SCARM.

• RMweb Gold

Please don't think me rude, but that is not surprising really - they are chalk and cheese.  In the strictest sense, one is for computer aided design of your own point work, the other is for design of layouts using proprietary track work.  Like all things - you CAN use them in other ways, but it's better to use the right tool for the job.  As an ex-CAD system designer I could use XtrkCAD, but it would be overkill for what I want (and probably over complex - but I have never tried it).  I use AnyRail and will continue with it because I am used to it's little foibles and it does what I need - but I have always liked the look of SCARM.

I think you are getting things mixed up there. XTrackCAD (its new name) includes a full library of Peco track etc. and is mostly used for commercial track. See this previous post: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14534-freeware-track-planning-software/&do=findComment&comment=133091

This is a 7-year-old topic and SCARM is a more recent addition to the free options available.

(Templot is now free too, but not relevant to the OP's request.)

regards,

Martin.

Xtrackcad I've used for over 7 years now never regretted it, took a while to learn but enabled us to plan using existing boards a 15' x 10' layout, what I found helpful was full range of templates from all surplies from Hornby dublo to latest peco.

Also found the layers features excellent, one could even plan where the supports under the boards where so you could avoid putting peco points and there motors over them

• RMweb Premium

Xtrackcad I've used for over 7 years now never regretted it, took a while to learn but enabled us to plan using existing boards a 15' x 10' layout, what I found helpful was full range of templates from all surplies from Hornby dublo to latest peco.

Also found the layers features excellent, one could even plan where the supports under the boards where so you could avoid putting peco points and there motors over them

I agree, but then I've never used anything else and the natural tendency is to stick up for what you know and resist undertaking another learning curve.  I got to first base (planning a track layout including use of flexitrack) very easily about 5 years ago, and have been having eureka moments regularly since, discovering / getting my head round other clever features and sneaky tricks, most recently using elevations to calculate gradients, creating custom structures (which can include bits of track so they can be easily joined to other tracks) and yes, using layers for a multitude of purposes.  You certainly don't (well I certainly didn't) need any CAD experience to use it.

I'm mildly tempted by SCARM's 3-D visualisations, but see earlier remarks about another learning curve  :no:

Edit to add: and it (XtrackCAD) is free and unlimited!

Cheers, Chris

• RMweb Gold

And Anyrail, SCARM and probably all the others you can list have similar features (full templates and layers).  I too planned my baseboards and point locations using layers on Anyrail.  However, dimensioning is not particularly easy as I found when producing plans for the people who finally made my baseboards.

Please - I am not advocating (or castigating for that matter) any of the products mentioned in this thread.  All I suggest is potential users look at a range and decide which they find easiest to use and/or meets their specific requirements.  I would hate people to give up and go away just because they cannot come to terms with one or other program - which is after all only an assistant.

I looked at XtrackCAD some time ago and it wasn't what I wanted.  After Martin's protest above, I downloaded it again and looked at it once more.  In my opinion (which is not worth much) it is too complicated and it's interface is not intuitive to me.  But my failure doesn't mean other's shouldn't look into it nor that they will not be far better impressed.  It seems (to me) to be overkill for simple design jobs if you are starting out fresh, however those new to the hobby who are thinking of going deeper into track design, or using lots of flexi-track, large sweeping and/or transition curves etc may well find it useful to go to XtrackCAD first. Anyrail is not good for those things.  All I am saying is if one doesn't gel there are others.  XtrackCAD is a fine example of an exception to the rule - it's much, much better than it's price (free) and well worth learning if you want to go that way.  Paying a fair price for something less may also be worth while.

Were I wanting to design and build my own track work, or complex layouts I would put in the effort to get over the first hurdle.

• RMweb Gold

I looked at XtrackCAD some time ago and it wasn't what I wanted.  After Martin's protest above

Not protesting, merely replying to your suggestion that XTrackCAD is unsuitable for commercial ready-made track, which clearly isn't the case.

Were I wanting to design and build my own track work, or complex layouts I would put in the effort to get over the first hurdle.

If you want to build your own track, XTrackCAD has a turnout design function, but it's very limited.

Many trackbuilders find Templot more useful for that -- but it is totally unsuitable for commercial track. smile.gif

regards,

Martin.

Please don't think me rude, but that is not surprising really - they are chalk and cheese.  In the strictest sense, one is for computer aided design of your own point work, the other is for design of layouts using proprietary track work.

I think you might be confusing these with Templot. :)

Bryn,

My 00 gauge layout 'Crewlisle' is 8'6" x 7'6" on three interconnected levels.  What you want to do is ignore any computer planning models, write down what features you want on your layout, sketch out your theoretical layout that you want, download some Peco point templates, place them where you want them on your available space & move them around as necessary.  There is no need to actually draw the layout on your baseboard.  Using a couple of lengths of flexible track, see if you can get a smooth curve between your points.  If not, adjust the position of your templates to fit.  As they say in the ship building/repair industry, 'If a curve looks right, it is right'.

I started 'Crewlisle' 40 years ago & continually improved it over the years, I have never been bored with it & neither have the hundreds of visitors who have seen it at exhibitions.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the recommendation I have just downloaded the demo and so impressed I have ordered a licence key.

I have tried a number of track planning software and whilst some programs are very powerful they are not easy to use where as Anyrail uses standard Windows commands and is quite intuitive unlike one or two other programs I have tried in the past and paid for. Well worth the £35.

Peter

Good man, Excellent software is worth supporting!

• RMweb Premium

Bryn,

My 00 gauge layout 'Crewlisle' is 8'6" x 7'6" on three interconnected levels.  What you want to do is ignore any computer planning models, write down what features you want on your layout, sketch out your theoretical layout that you want, download some Peco point templates, place them where you want them on your available space & move them around as necessary.  There is no need to actually draw the layout on your baseboard.  Using a couple of lengths of flexible track, see if you can get a smooth curve between your points.  If not, adjust the position of your templates to fit.  As they say in the ship building/repair industry, 'If a curve looks right, it is right'.

I started 'Crewlisle' 40 years ago & continually improved it over the years, I have never been bored with it & neither have the hundreds of visitors who have seen it at exhibitions.

Peter

Nobody having seen or read about Crewlisle would argue that your method wasn't successful - but then 40 years ago you didn't have the option of using "computer planning models" anyway!!  :mosking: 

Each to their own .....

Cheers

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I don't know how big my baseboards will be until I've planned the track (and structures etc)...

I know the feeling.  However a friend of mine was helped by his wife to sort out his intended layout - a large roll of lining paper, some templates (he photocpopied some setrack points!) and a box of dressmakers pins.  They had great fun on the floor together so I'm told! (Honi soit etc.?)

• RMweb Gold

Not protesting, merely replying to your suggestion that XTrackCAD is unsuitable for commercial ready-made track, which clearly isn't the case.

If you want to build your own track, XTrackCAD has a turnout design function, but it's very limited.

Many trackbuilders find Templot more useful for that -- but it is totally unsuitable for commercial track. smile.gif

regards,

Martin.

I used both ANYRail and templot!l On my current project, I started with ANYrail using Tillig track objects to draw the draft version of the trackplan including slopes and baseboards. It is much easier to draw shapes to show baseboards and to move bits of design around, it also enable me to check that gradients are not too steep. This was then printed out on a plotter to see if it would actually fit into the available space. Having got the draft version done,  I exported it from AnyRail  as a jpg file and made that the background in Templot. where I then redrew the design using the points I wanted with the angle I wanted, but still being able to see them in reference to the draft anyrail plan to make sure that they do not cross baseboards. I have now the final plan for the whole of the station area in Templot, which matches at each end the Anyrails plan for the main running lines connecting the main station  to the fiddle yard. This templot design was then also printed on a plotter and it look's like this:post-11571-0-08535800-1500471005_thumb.jpg

Now what I really want is for Martin and David to get together so that you can design points or sections in templot and export them as modules that can be placed into any rail plans.

I can understand that whatever you decide to use it will the one which is easy to use, suit your purpose and achieve the objectives of planning a layout which can take quite a bit of time and effort. Time spent proper planning can save considerable time later and money in making sure you only purchase track etc you need.

I've done in the past the peco templates since 40 years ago there was no cad design, computers etc, you tended then to build a baseboard to fit the room, then see how you could plan a layout on what space you had available, worked for us then.

I was directed to xtrkcad thanks to this forum some 10 years ago, it was free ( big factor), instantly available, (didn't have to order it or go to shop and buy it), it came with tutorials, and a help function (XP only), there was others free but you were limited to size and wanted money after certain date or size. It seemed very flexible you could add your own templates and share with other users.

One feature I liked was you could print out full size your plan, paste it on the board and lay track right on it, I used this in some complicated junctions found it very handy, especially when while working full time could just lay track when I had the time.

I also used this feature to print 1/5 size a control board plan then add, point, rotary switch s etcpost-60-0-71770100-1500499946_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold
Now what I really want is for Martin and David to get together so that you can design points or sections in Templot and export them as modules that can be placed into any rail plans.

Hi,

David has said that he doesn't intend to allow user-designed imported track objects, most recently only a couple of months ago: https://www.anyrail.com/forum_en/index.php/topic,1639.msg19558.html#msg19558

I can fully understand that. The potential for crashing the system with malformed data is just too great, damaging the product's reputation for reliability. For the same reason, there is no way to import track templates into Templot from other sources. All you can do is import other track plans as a background design guide.

If you want to import DXF track formations exported from Templot into a pick-and-place layout design program, the only option I know of is to use Randy Pfeiffer's 3rd PlanIt software. It has all the usual libraries for Peco track, etc., and provides full 3D CAD layout design: http://www.trackplanning.com

That can be a lot of fun, because you can run actual train simulations in 3D over the imported Templot tracks, and join 3rd PlanIt's native tracks to Templot tracks:

hc_3pi_1.jpg

Templot-derived transition curve track imported into 3rd PlanIt.

Years ago I posted some pages showing how to do that, with a ready-made downloadable demo file containing exported Templot tracks which can be opened and run in the free demo version of 3rd PlanIt. It is all still on the server:

http://templot.com/3pi/dxf_3d_hc_3pi.htm

http://templot.com/3pi/dxf_3d_3pi_3d_controls.htm

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=2297&forum_id=3&jump_to=15298#p15298

regards,

Martin.

Personally I use SCARM for designs using commerrcial track and Traxx for quick and dirty track work with hand built points , final workup being in templot ( for handbukit track only )

I personally can't see how anyone designs a layout without some form of track design software. Way too difficult, otherwise, to work out what fits , working up transistion curves etc. Stock paper templates are way too confining and awkward and you in effect need the full size baseboard available before hand, and you still have the difficult task of estimating min radius if not using set track

"Plan on a computer , build on a board "

Personally I use SCARM for designs using commerrcial track and Traxx for quick and dirty track work with hand built points , final workup being in templot ( for handbukit track only )

I personally can't see how anyone designs a layout without some form of track design software. Way too difficult, otherwise, to work out what fits , working up transistion curves etc. Stock paper templates are way too confining and awkward and you in effect need the full size baseboard available before hand, and you still have the difficult task of estimating min radius if not using set track

"Plan on a computer , build on a board "

Somehow 30 years ago we managed, compass, pencil, rubber, graphpaper, ruler, it took longer, I've still my early drawing from 50 odd years ago

• RMweb Premium

Somehow 30 years ago we managed, compass, pencil, rubber, graphpaper, ruler, it took longer, I've still my early drawing from 50 odd years ago

Me too, but luckily I never tried to build one.  Because I know (now - 50 years later after using track planning software) I didn't allow enough space for the pointwork - and I'm not convinced CJF did either!

Chris

Me too, but luckily I never tried to build one.  Because I know (now - 50 years later after using track planning software) I didn't allow enough space for the pointwork - and I'm not convinced CJF did either!

Chris

I did but there again I had the eye sight then to draw very accurate track plans allowing for the points which take up a good 9inches on the layout.

Hence I used xtrkcad for last two layout, you can enlarge the screen or like I did use a 32 " telly as a screen that really helped.

I do remember a plastic template been sold in the 60's to help you design layouts, like those letter templates, think it was based on triang or Hornby Dublo radius, I've found the plans drawn with it, very easy to use just place pencil in and fill or draw. Like most very useful things it got lost or broke, although I've still got those computer program flow chart templates remember them

• RMweb Gold

I did but there again I had the eye sight then to draw very accurate track plans allowing for the points which take up a good 9inches on the layout.

Hence I used xtrkcad for last two layout, you can enlarge the screen or like I did use a 32 " telly as a screen that really helped.

I do remember a plastic template been sold in the 60's to help you design layouts, like those letter templates, think it was based on triang or Hornby Dublo radius, I've found the plans drawn with it, very easy to use just place pencil in and fill or draw. Like most very useful things it got lost or broke, although I've still got those computer program flow chart templates remember them

There were also some red plastic track templates made by Triang-Hornby (or modern Hornby) and I got mine during the 80s after moving down here to Dorset. Little track parts not a plastic sheet with slots in.

Still have a set in a plastic box in the odds and sods tray in the garage. I kept them as will come in useful when I plan the next Hornby-Dublo layout. Not exact but will give a good guide that the pencil sketches are doable before setting out real track on lining paper.

The mistake on my last HD layout was having some board joints under curves as it evolved from a clip up (didn't matter) to a fixed/wired system (did matter) rather than being properly advance planned.

There were also some red plastic track templates made by Triang-Hornby (or modern Hornby) and I got mine during the 80s after moving down here to Dorset. Little track parts not a plastic sheet with slots in.

Still have a set in a plastic box in the odds and sods tray in the garage. I kept them as will come in useful when I plan the next Hornby-Dublo layout. Not exact but will give a good guide that the pencil sketches are doable before setting out real track on lining paper.

The mistake on my last HD layout was having some board joints under curves as it evolved from a clip up (didn't matter) to a fixed/wired system (did matter) rather than being properly advance planned.

I remember them too, one of the features of Xtkcad is you can plan the cross members of the board in wood then using the layer function to overlay the track plan, very handy to avoid often underslung peco point motors, often they just need moving an inch or so.

Used the same technique using tracing paper ( remember that stuff) or when you couldn't get it certain toilet papers, lol we knew at school or college some class or other needed for school as the lot "got robbed" often used in geography for copying a map.

Course xtrkcad allows you to view in real size 1:1 so avoiding points over bracing under the board

Just wanted to add my pennyworth.

XtrakCAD doesn't follow most of the standard Windows / CAD conventions but I have used it very successfully to develop the plans for my last two layouts, however it wasn't up to the standard I need for the next one which is based on real location. However it does have a useful function which allows the drawings to be exported as .dxf files which import into AutoCAD (or in my case Dassault Systems "Draftsight" which is a free AutoCAD compatible product).

My current layout is designed in AutoCAD/Draftsight with the fiddle yard, which uses standard Peco track, imported from XtrakCAD & the curved points / crossovers will be designed in Templot and then imported. This is a case of using the best tools for each job

• RMweb Gold

the next one which is based on real location. However it does have a useful function which allows the drawings to be exported as .dxf files which import into AutoCAD

Hi Howard,

Templot can also export DXF files for CAD. Also in the next program update it will be possible to directly load background maps at the correct scaled size, which will avoid the need to make and assemble screenshots and scale them to the correct size:

2_280402_300000000.png

© National Library of Scotland

2_222110_540000000.png

© OpenStreetMap contributors

Initially this will be for OpenStreetMap (entire world) and the excellent NLS 1890s OS maps of London.

More information about all this:  http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=3051&forum_id=1

Other maps can of course be used, but you need to make your own screenshots:

crop_combine_1.png

Templot can also wrap a straight map along a curve, if you are building a layout "based on" and need to make it fit your space:

wrap14.png

p.s. I'd be interested to know what you feel you can do better in CAD than you can do in Templot?

regards,

Martin.

Archived