Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Well, now the forum seams to be working I will atempt to put a workbench back together.

I have just painted my DJH skinhead 31 into 31418. I will wait a bit for the varnish to harden before weathering and then putting the windows in.

I have also got my JLTRT 26 to the painting stage. Attached pics show one problem to overcome was how to fit the square bogie safety loops and still be able to get everything apart. I glued a casting into the chassis on one side only. Then you can slide the bogie in at an angle and secure the other side retainer in with a 12 Ba screw into a nut glued into the chassis. With these bogie safety brackets in place the model will go round 6ft radius curves but if you want it to go round tighter curves I would probably cut the little extensions back to clear them. JLTRT made a nice brake pipe casting to go on the side of the bogie. Still need a couple of pipes made from wire though.

post-6766-12565636310841_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12565636403171_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12565636503723_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12565641130356_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12565641190046_thumb.jpg

post-6766-125656412463_thumb.jpg

post-6766-1256564130829_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12565641375633_thumb.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 9

Forgot to say I reduced the length of one of the cross brackets by the water tank as it does not show on pictures of the real 26's. I cut the end back as far as the support bracket for the tank. It would have been a lot better if I had done this before I glued it in place, such is life.

I went to the GWR at Toddington on Sunday and had a look at 26043 there. Unfortunatly the cab doors were locked as no one was working on it that day but I did manage a couple od pictures through the side windows of the rear bulkhead so when I do another one I can now put a couple of more pipes on the bulkheadsmile.gif

post-6766-12565644752853_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Brian, just like to say your site is excellent, a mine of information, thanks for all the time you put into those piccies.....

On another note I am just about to get back into O guage and want to model modern image (eastern) and am looking seriously into the JLTRT range rather than jump back into brass construction as I did many years ago, the bits look so much smaller now, I cannot imagine why? :huh: :lol: I was hoping to find your construction/workbench efforts....are they still online somewhere, as this new site seems to have "hiccuped" and lost all previous posts.

I basically want to know if the JLTRT are as good as they look in your piccies?

Best regards David

Brian, just like to say your site is excellent, a mine of information, thanks for all the time you put into those piccies.....

On another note I am just about to get back into O guage and want to model modern image (eastern) and am looking seriously into the JLTRT range rather than jump back into brass construction as I did many years ago, the bits look so much smaller now, I cannot imagine why? :huh: :lol: I was hoping to find your construction/workbench efforts....are they still online somewhere, as this new site seems to have "hiccuped" and lost all previous posts.

I basically want to know if the JLTRT are as good as they look in your piccies?

Best regards David

Try here

Thankyou for doing the link Mr MOD5. What happened to the pics on the old forum that I put up recently? Oh well have to persevere with this one. I did copy the old thread over to one of these blog things but half the pictures are missing on that as well.

The 26 is in the paintshops at the moment so hopefully have a pic by the weekend.

As to if you want to do JLTRT kits over brass/metal ones well to me I don't mind building either but the biggest factor that makes me choose JLTRT is the fact that, as it says on the box, they look Just Like The Real Thing icon_thumbsup2.gif As I have said before though the biggest downer with them is the total cost with motors and wheels etc.

• RMweb Premium

As I have said before though the biggest downer with them is the total cost with motors and wheels etc.

Tell me about it! :blink: :D

Thanks Brian, I have been chatting to JLTRT this morning and got around to ordering a 40 along with all the odds and sods required, as to the cost its all relative I find now I can easily afford to spoil myself if I want to, so why arse around and go in half cocked.....nah.....blimey I have so much invested in LGB which almost never gets a run around the garden anymore, and that really did cost an arm and a leg!

I am very much looking forward to opening the box sometime next week, all I need now is a track longer than my metre test straight, move over LGB! :lol:

• Like 1

While it's relatively quiet on here, Brian, I'd just like to say how much I've enjoyed this thread now and on the old RMweb. I don't model diesels or 7mm, but it's a pleasure to see fine modelling clearly explained and clearly enjoyed as well. That 20 with the cab lighting really was outstanding.

• RMweb Premium

I have also got my JLTRT 26 to the painting stage. Attached pics show one problem to overcome was how to fit the square bogie safety loops and still be able to get everything apart. I glued a casting into the chassis on one side only. Then you can slide the bogie in at an angle and secure the other side retainer in with a 12 Ba screw into a nut glued into the chassis. With these bogie safety brackets in place the model will go round 6ft radius curves but if you want it to go round tighter curves I would probably cut the little extensions back to clear them.

By a quick calculation I reckon if JLTRT made an alternative cast bogie restrictors they would only need to be approx 2 mm longer to enable negotiation of a 4' curve.....and OK for the out and out rivet counter it would be a little wrong but only by about 86mm on the prototype.....and would still look fine I reckon.

Then it would satisfy the purest and the modeller who wanted it 95% and run it on any layout.

After all the needles on the lit dials on your console don't actually go around......yet! :D

Best regards David

:icon_wave: Hi Brian- nice to catch up with a familiar member again after the 'change'!

I never realised a member of Class 31/4 was a skinhead! I'd always assumed 31/4s all had headcode boxes! I do prefer 31s with headcode boxes for some strange reason, rather than the 'skinhead' look! In the same way I prefer 25s over 24s; yet I like the look of 26s over 27s... it's really inexplicable (or I'm just strange anyway... :icon_rolleyes: :icon_razz: )

You want a Co-Bo? I think you might have a bit of a wait Jon. The list is getting long of what is in the pipeline isn't it. I just emailed Laurie in Irvine to order another 26 as the 27 is not about yet due to all the versions needed. Well these 26/27's are notorious for the differances in their lives.

Fitted the windows and wipers now. I shall wait a bit then get mucky with it. As usual though it won't be a lot. I have done a fair representation of the framework that shows through the fibreglass roof panel I think. Get a bit of exhaust over it later to tone it down a bit.

Can't remember if I put a picture up of 20 number 3 I did. It will be 20009 from TO to go with my green 20151. It still had it's oval buffers in the late 70's although the air pipes had been moved into the bufferbeam from underneath it. I am waiting for a replacement rad roof etch as the one on it has more metal than holes.

post-6766-12572622200187_thumb.jpgpost-6766-12572622289782_thumb.jpgpost-6766-12572622359938_thumb.jpgpost-6766-12572622430569_thumb.jpgpost-6766-12572623314043_thumb.jpgpost-6766-12572623236551_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

we're waiting with baited breath and then ... the 14 rolleyes.gif (according to Mr Waterman at the Merseyside show on Saturday)

WHAT...?!?!??? A JLTRT Class 14...??? :icon_wow: :icon_wow: :icon_wow:

Ain't that just flippin' typical... :icon_frustrated:

Just expecting a certain brass one in the post, and a much easier (for me!) plastic one will be along shortly... :icon_mutter:

Next Heljan will be announcing an R-T-R one, I suppose... :icon_rolleyes:

Mindyou, doing a deal as I have, with a fellow RMweb'er, I expect mine will have cost a lot less, at the end of the day... :icon_razz: :icon_tongue: :icon_thumbsup2:

this is one thread ive missed since the forums been changed, glad to find it again, your work looks as great as ever Brian

Mike

Good to have you back Mike. Wait till it's got some muck on the 26, think it will look stunning (It better had after saying thatblush.gif ). Hows your 40 dare I ask?

Handy things those electrical hoses Ian. Great for spraying electricity all over the place ;)

Bob -

Well in terms of the 'Blue Star' MU cable - this IS electrical in a sense & the use of the word hose is because in kits [including our own] we use the term 'flexible hose' to describe the material provided. In our kits it is actually now 'Symel' sleeving, of which we have just had 10,000 metres made especially for our diesel kits. It is heat resistant, UV resistant and approx. 50% of the diameter of that shown here.

But none of this deals with Ian G's central point though. The flexible hosing on the loco actually appears thicker than some of those on the stabling point rig.

Regards,

David Parkins,

Modern Motive Power

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian,

we're waiting with baited breath and then after the 27, the 33rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif , 43, 22rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif , 14 rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif (according to Mr Waterman at the Merseyside show on Saturday)

regards

Mike

Hi

I'm waiting for the EM1. I've promised myself one as I always liked the idea of a 7mm scale model.

Cheers

Paul