Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

Pedant Alert.  Hymeks were B-B, not Bo-Bo, and the proposed 'superhymek' version would have been C-C not Co-Co if it retains hydraulic transmission.  Or possibly A1A-A1A.

Everyday's a school day!

Mostly what I've got from the last few posts though is that there were no type 4/5s that could go over humps, so here's a revised EE Type 4 with a 1-Bo-Bo-Bo-1 chassis and central body box joint (not articulated, just vertical deflection), that should be good for tight curves and gradient changes :)

post-9147-0-03424600-1506852638.jpg

• Like 3

Falcon had the same engines as a Western and electric transmission. I was thinking of a C-C hydraulic about 30% more powerful than a Hymek.

Cheers

David

That would be a Warship then with a bit of ballast and C-C wheel arrangement rather than B-B or A1A-A1A.

A pair of MD870s could be interesting with 3400HP - used in pairs for those very heavy South Wales coal and steel jobs. Might need D-D wheel arrangement, and there would only be room left for one cab...

post-7495-0-50230000-1506858592_thumb.jpg

A pair of Mega-Hymeks each with a pair of MD870 engines, air brakes, might as well throw in some ETH. Would it be worth sticking with hydraulic transmission? I think not, but what the hell...

Edited by Suzie
  • Like 6

The stuff of nightmares.

PacerEMU.jpg

Cheers

David

Seems a bit wasteful, I mean you could shove a single axle at each end and single axles under the corridor connections to make it articulated, have a special exhaust system so it smells a bit fumy if you've sat in the wrong place, make sure a couple of the small windows are a bit rattly in their frames, leave a 2" gap below the doors with some heavy duty fake eyelashes to 'seal' it, drill a few holes to let it drip from the ceiling when it rains heavily, put a special leg burning device along the side walls but not bother with any other heat source and I wouldn't waste money on any springs. People on 70 odd mile train journeys always want the condemned school bus experience. Edited by brack
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Seems a bit wasteful, I mean you could shove a single axle at each end and single axles under the corridor connections to make it articulated, have a special exhaust system so it smells a bit fumy if you've sat in the wrong place, make sure a couple of the small windows are a bit rattly in their frames, leave a 2" gap below the doors with some heavy duty fake eyelashes to 'seal' it, drill a few holes to let it drip from the ceiling when it rains heavily, put a special leg burning device along the side walls but not bother with any other heat source and I wouldn't waste money on any springs. People on 70 odd mile train journeys always want the condemned school bus experience.

The fact that I quite like Pacers despite using them regularly is probably related to the fact that my commute is only 4 miles.

And the alternative is usually a 153 which is a bit lacking in capacity compared to a Pacer.

The fact that I quite like Pacers despite using them regularly is probably related to the fact that my commute is only 4 miles.

And the alternative is usually a 153 which is a bit lacking in capacity compared to a Pacer.

You commute 4 miles by train? Is there a river in between?

A pair of MD870s could be interesting with 3400HP - used in pairs for those very heavy South Wales coal and steel jobs. Might need D-D wheel arrangement, and there would only be room left for one cab...

As I mentioned in post 1316 a twin MD870 was actually proposed, but with each rated at 2000hp, and mounted within a Western bodyshell. There's a diagram in Brian Reed's 'Diesel Hydraulic Locomotive of the Western Region (David & Charles,1974).

• RMweb Premium

BR rebuilt a Mk2 coach with Leyland bus parts, not sure what it was for though.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I remember that. It ran on the Euston - Birmingham route (and no doubt elsewhere)

IIRC it was to test the feasibility of using said bits in train construction.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not only that but they've bitten the "aircraft inspired" bug rather too much. The seating plan is straight out of an aircraft, quite possibly literally. And all the seats face the same way. Did they imagine turning all the coaches at the end of the run, or possibly even turning the seats within the coach?

I travelled on an Egyptian daytime train from Luxor to Cairo and the seats did turn around.

The attendant turned our double seat around to face the direction of travel by operating a lever then pulling the seat away from the window, rotating it 180 degrees and then pushing it back to lock into place.

It would be rather labour intensive for a high capacity train!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

That bus body was on a Mk1 underframe, as the Mk2 was a unibdy construction. It was thought up by the RTC as a cheap way to replace the body. IIRC it was complained at as bringing back 3rd class, but if this had more to do with the airline style seating fitted vs the actual body?

PS-it is also preserved. Cant remember where.

Note-I have always found the bus derived trains (pacers and the 155/153) as having a big advantage, in that you get narrow pillars and big windows. How much of the critisisms leveled at these trains is based on the actual body design, or the cheap bits BR used to make them cheap enough to sell the idea of new trains to the treasury?

• RMweb Premium

That bus body was on a Mk1 underframe, as the Mk2 was a unibdy construction. It was thought up by the RTC as a cheap way to replace the body. IIRC it was complained at as bringing back 3rd class, but if this had more to do with the airline style seating fitted vs the actual body?

PS-it is also preserved. Cant remember where.

Found this note online:

"The Leyland coach still exists today at the Llanelli and Mynnydd Mawr Railway in Morfa Camarthenshire. It is now safely stored at Cynhidre where it is to be restored to its original condition for use on the former Burry Port and Gwendraeth Valley Railway with the Gwendraeth Railway Society"

Not on their stock list.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Would one want to be in that carriage in the event of a high speed derailment?

The Leyland National body is extremely strong as the bus itself is chassisless. It should be no worse than a standard Mk.I to withstanding high speed collisions, indeed being 'stiffer' would probably be safer than a Mk.I.

I travelled on an Egyptian daytime train from Luxor to Cairo and the seats did turn around.

The attendant turned our double seat around to face the direction of travel by operating a lever [and] rotating it 180 degrees ...

Keith

I can recall such reverseable (very comfortable) seats back in summer 1958 on a Bergen to Oslo train after a detour to ride down to Flam on Hardanger fjord.

This was back in the days when Norway was affordable as a tourist via Bergen Line overnight from Tyne Commission Quay, having travelled up via the Durham coast from York.

dh

PS

Found this noted online:

"The Leyland coach still exists today at the Llanelli and Mynnydd Mawr Railway in Morfa Camarthenshire. It is now safely stored at Cynhidre where it is to be restored to its original condition for use on the former Burry Port and Gwendraeth Valley Railway with the Gwendraeth Railway Society"

Not on their stock list.

Keith

Is the hybrid coach really likely to reach 100mph regularly on such duties?

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An even worse thought: They might just follow the example of the 'date expired' supermarket chicken scandal and simply recycle Pacers as EMUs -  with a new 30 year life!

:O

dh

Don't give the DfT any ideas!!!!