Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo

Collectors Corner Hamblings

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#51 32a

32a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 13:35

alice 069.jpg

Said to be a special order Hamblings, but another of their anachronisms.

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#52 Il Grifone

Il Grifone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,646 posts
  • LocationEssex next to the LT&SR and Sardinia Costa dei Grifoni

Posted 18 March 2012 - 14:55

A couple of recent additions to the collection

I'm fairly certain this is a Hamblings Stanier Brake/third

Posted Image

The Gresley bogies will go as soon as I can find some suitable replacements.

Less so about this one. It appears to be a sheep in wolf's clothing - an LMS composite in GWR livery.

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP0448.JPG
  • IMGP0449.JPG

Edited by Il Grifone, 18 March 2012 - 15:00 .

• Like x 2

#53 Il Grifone

Il Grifone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 15:02

I'm not sure why the photos appear twice They are only there once in edit mode.

#54 32a

32a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 15:46

First coach is definately Hamblings, second appears to be Jaypee which were kits often sold or presented for sale as Exley, but of far less quality.

Trix Britannia pulling them?

Andrew

#55 Il Grifone

Il Grifone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 17:01

No, only a Tri-ang R259S I'm afraid, though she is 3 rail and has a Dublo type coupling on the tender. I'm in the process of rewheeling her with Dublo drivers to correct at least in part her excess height.. (In reality it's the chassis from a Tri-ang Princess to keep this one original, so I can put her back together if I should ever need to.

I was dubious about the GWR/LMS coach. The Hamblings catalogue I found lists GWR coaches that at least look something like GWR coaches, while the LMS coach has wider toilet windows than this one.

#56 random

random

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 18:21

The Jaypee model can make into an almost reasonable representation of an LMS open third except the rather small windows in the doors. Some seem to have come factory painted in at least choc and cream, crimson and cream and I expect LMS maroon, while others were supplied unpainted. They are common as as body only secondhand but as they carry no identification, they are often missed if looking on eBay. There was also a companion brake coach, an LMS open brake third if I remember. These are much less common.

Hamblings metal ready-to-run coaches also suffer from usually having no identification on them although some, probably pre-war models, have a purple label "This is a Hamblings model" onthe underside. However, they can be easily identified by the following characteristics that I think are common to most or all:

- Tinplate construction with cast metal ends
- Screwed together through the solebars just inboard of the bogies
- Turning the coach upside down, there is a gap at the end of the chassis and the end of the body
- Separately fitted cast metal roof vents where appropriate
- Separately fitted cast metal guards' lookout duckets where appropriate. These are often missing

There was a reasonable range of ready-to-run Hamblings metal coaches, but not as varied as Exley. I think GWR were definitely and probably Southern, were produced before the war while others were produced after. If the Southern ones were produced before the war, the Southern range after the war was wholly or in part different as it featured two fairly accurate Bullied vehicles where the real thing only appeared post-war. What I believe are pre-war GWR vehicles seem to have had the windows cut out by hand - the straight lines are not perfectly straight on close inspection. What are probably later models of the same vehicles look as if they are stamped out.

#57 Il Grifone

Il Grifone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 18:54

Many thanks!
I bought another two coaches at the same time - one is a Dublo SR CK and the other is an Exley - at least the bogies state Exley and I see no reason to doubt the rest of it. I'll post a picture in the Exley thread.

#58 32a

32a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 19:47

But why is it an anachronism? Any guesses.

Edited by 32a, 19 March 2012 - 19:48 .

#59 The Stationmaster

The Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29,324 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 19:54

I do wonder if it is Hamblings as it appears to have Romford wheels (maybe that was what the customer wanted? And good old bullhead rail for the coupling rods!
Edited - I forgot the anachronism, it should have outside steam pipes with that livery.

Edited by The Stationmaster, 19 March 2012 - 19:57 .

#60 Il Grifone

Il Grifone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 23:06

A Saint with a Collett cab is unusual to say the least. I assume she came from the same source as the Reidpath 45?

Edited by Il Grifone, 19 March 2012 - 23:09 .

#61 Gilwell Park

Gilwell Park

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 23:27

A Saint with a Collett cab is unusual to say the least. I assume she came from the same source as the Reidpath 45?

It is Saint Martin, rebuilt as the prototype hall class.
Roger.

#62 Il Grifone

Il Grifone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:29

The nameplate says Saint Patrick! Saint Martin would be appropriate I agree.

#63 32a

32a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:37

Correct as to outside steam pipes as these were fitted in 1945, and the cab is completely wrong.

Romford wheels were very common on Hamblings builds.

All part of the rich tapestry of Hamblings!

Andrew
  • Like x 1

#64 32a

32a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 15:19

RM web 072.jpg RM web 073.jpg

Recent aquisition, pre-war Castle although I suspect with post-war mechanism. Honestly the smoke box door is typical of their pre-war GWR tender catalogue models.
  • Like x 1

#65 32a

32a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 15:24

And a pre-war Jubilee which is slowly being brought back to operating condition, showing the built in motor.

The droopy buffer beam is going to be a real problem.

Attached Thumbnails

• RM web 078.jpg
  • RM web 069.jpg

• Like x 1

#66 Il Grifone

Il Grifone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 14:53

It looks like the buffer beam will respond to careful bending. It does not appear to be supported at all - probably why it got bent in the first place.

I now know the origin of the odd buffers I have in my spares boxes.

#67 Joseph_Pestell

Joseph_Pestell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,252 posts
  • LocationNorth Dorset

Posted 12 November 2012 - 17:39

Some more Hamblings for interest, the LMS Fairburn tank, a King (with Hawkesworth tender!), a special order Brittania and a County.

Just found this thread.

Great to see a complete Fairburn tank. In the early 1970s, the shop still had a stock of the bodies/frames for these and I bought one. I have had various goes at motorising it over the years but never finished it due to my lack of skill with valvegear. Really should get it out and have another go.

#68 Joseph_Pestell

Joseph_Pestell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,252 posts
  • LocationNorth Dorset

Posted 12 November 2012 - 17:47

Fibre based tracks, ........there have been several makers:-

The original flexible fibre base 16.5 mm track was made by Mantua in the United States from about 1934, and sold over here by Hamblings from about 1937/38, The next to use fibre base was Graham Farish, with Bromley production from about 1947, till they sold the line to another Bromley company, Wrenn. in the early 1950's. Farish changed over to plastic base next, using the Formoway brand label..

In the meantime, about 1947 Hamblings had made a fibre base track, and points, of their own, with white metal cast chairs, that was the first bull head fibre base. This lasted until stocks ran out in the 1960's, and when the special tools needed to assemble the chairs to the rail section ran out, never to return to production.

The Wrenn/Farish track was flatbottom rail for ease of manufacture. Wrenn designed their own unique closing frog points to go with the fibre based flexible track.

Gem, (George Mellor), made a fibre based flatbottom rail section track, I think that is what is in the pictures. They also did the track in TT gauge, as did Wrenn with the Fibre track.

ABC of London (Allan Brett Cannon), introduced fibre sleepers. both joined and separate, fitted with plastic chairs in the late 1950's, and Kings Cross did a fibre based track at one point in the 1960's with stamped brass chairs, all of these tracks falling by the wayside as Peco took over the market.

Peco did an early fibre base as well in short lengths to assemble in to yard lengths, before doing individual components and the plastic based track they still manufacture..

Both Mantua and Farish used fibre base as it was a standard insulation material, and both companies were basically in the radio parts business, Mantua made radio components and motors, and Farish made radio spares. The fibre for the Farish track was made at the Tonbridge Factory that Farish owned during the war. They made rubber products as well, mainly Kilner jar seals, and fibre washers.

I believe other makers like Arco made Fibre track bases, and KMR listed some in an advert in 1948. Stewart Reidpath also did fibre based track, but I think it was Mantua track base left over from pre-war, stored at Hamblings., with moulds for white metal chairs, that were then transfered to the Hamblings track. Hamblings took over S-R and had the same directors, so the 1947 Hamblings track was basically Stewart Reidpath designed.and made at Herne Bay in Kent..

One other rare make was Sayer Chaplin, in 1947/48 on, till about 1955, who were also electrical engineers and had supplies of fibre sheet etc and they did a stamped version to take flatbottom rail, which may have changed hands to Gem, the description and style are so similar.it may be the same fibre base.
Stephen.

GEM later made a plastic-based track which had proper sized (for OO) sleepers. Formoway like Peco had HO sleepers. I'd love to know what happened to that GEM tooling!

#69 Joseph_Pestell

Joseph_Pestell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,252 posts
  • LocationNorth Dorset

Posted 12 November 2012 - 17:57

Another Hamblings Schools albeit with my own scratch built tender, and better images of the Hamblings Q1.

Oops, how on earth did I manage to photograph the Q1 with driving wheels on one side siting on top of the rail!

As an OW (who was one of the founders of 916 Club, the school railway society), I wonder who ordered that one.

#70 Joseph_Pestell

Joseph_Pestell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,252 posts
  • LocationNorth Dorset

Posted 12 November 2012 - 18:00

I realy did not know how many different classes of loco's were available in the 40'ds, 50's & 60's. Reading the model press I got the Idea choice was very limited.

As an aside I have some Hamblings wheels that are surplus, 24mm and 18mm diameter. happy to put on this sites for sale section if anyone is interested. PM me

Choice was limited for most folk who could only afford Triang or, at a stretch Dublo and Trix. Hamblings, being handbuilt to order, was seriously expensive.

#71 32a

32a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 20:06

RM web 087.jpg RM web 089.jpg

And here is a real prize, a Hamblings Compound with skate pickup.
  • Like x 1

#72 roythebus

roythebus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationNear the 15" gauge and the 5"gauge, far from standard gauge, but 25 miles from Calais.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 20:47

GEM later made a plastic-based track which had proper sized (for OO) sleepers. Formoway like Peco had HO sleepers. I'd love to know what happened to that GEM tooling!

I found a length of Gem track in my collection the other day; Gem points with the plastic base were quite good and had cast whitemetal frogs.

AFAIK Kings Cross didn't make fibre base track. I worked there in about 1968 and they only made track in kit form with wooden sleepers and the stamped brass chairs.

#73 32a

32a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 14:13

RM web 110.jpg

The Jubilee rebuild continues slowly. Now the body sits level and the whole locomotive looks better with vintage bogie wheels. However still to scratch build are outside third pickups and to do something with the paintwork. The problem is the maroom is almost brown.

#74 32a

32a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:30

RM web 113.jpg

As has been pointed out by her in doors in a rare moment of model railway interest, there are no images of the right side of the Jubilee. Well it does exist as the above shows.

#75 32a

32a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 19:42

RM web 125.jpg RM web 127.jpg

Latest lucky buy, what I originally thought was a CIMCO tank locomotive, but after arrival and inspection is, I strongly believe a Hamblings body originally with Reidpath mechanism (see GWR 0.4.2T), but now fitted with a Romford built in motor and frame, albeit still pre-war.

Any ideas as to prototype?