Olivia's Class 76 LE (inc earlier Blue Pullman content)

Gulliver

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps OT, what what happens now with wishlists/frothing? Must be something else to take over from BP!

Thinks for a moment for a set that would mean huge design outlay with minimal possible variations . . . .

Ah Ha!

Ready to run Prototype APT and HST tongue.gif

I bet that announcement was a moment of relief for Andy and the team followed by what next?

Never been in the BP wish brigade but if it's good I'll probably add one to the collection of High speed trains as it is a sort of early HST.

• RMweb Premium

The Blue Pullman will certainly make allot of people happy. You've been wanting that to get done for years! :D

The class 76 is an intresting machine. However, as there were 58 of them built I'd immagine that Heljan will probably do a standard run of these in a year or two, with diffrent numbers.

Hi

Minor point there were 57, the prototype had a lot of differences from the production version.

Cheers

Paul

looking at the Olivias site it looks like a link error within the site, the class 76 link points to the Contact Us page

That link's now been fixed, with details on http://www.oliviastrains.com/pages/1477/Contact_Us

(yes, the address ends in Contact_Us, but it shows details for the 76)

• RMweb Gold

Mmmm £50 deposit per loco, does not say if its returnable if you change your mind.

Think I'll wait to see some development images before committing money.

I like to see what I am getting before buying something.

£150 for an unchipped loco with a fifty quid deposit is a bit rich for my blood. If they keep it in production for a while, I might be tempted though. It looks lovely in lined BR black.

• RMweb Gold

If they keep it in production for a while, I might be tempted though.

The website does say "First Run Of Liveries Are As Follows" which implies more may follow.

For me though, I want to see it before purchasing.

Perhaps OT, what what happens now with wishlists/frothing? Must be something else to take over from BP!

Complaining about how much the new RTR Blue Pullman costs. I'm not paying more than £20 for the whole set.......

For me though, I want to see it before purchasing.

It's Heljan, so it will either be spot on and really good (Hymek, 33/1 and 33/2) or a bit wonky looking (33/0, Western, 86, 47). I certainly would not buy one unseen.

• RMweb Gold

It's Heljan, so it will either be spot on and really good (Hymek, 33/1 and 33/2) or a bit wonky looking (33/0, Western, 86, 47). I certainly would not buy one unseen.

Exactly.

I have only ever put a deposit down on a model ahead of seeing it and thats for the Class 37 groups 37 coming out later in the year. But on their application form it had confidence building statments such as "Returnable Deposit" and " deposit returned if project does not go ahead"

This advert implies send £50 and hope for the best....wink.gif laugh.gif

Hmm. £50 up front, not sure about that. I have many models (Well Tanks, Thumpers and Clay Tigers) with Kernow for instance and they have not asked for a penny in advance. Be interesting to see how this plays out. I think the Leader project needed money up front as well, not sure what happened with that in the end?

• RMweb Gold

I think the Leader project needed money up front as well, not sure what happened with that in the end?

Checking their website, Loconotion still profess to be the home of the Leader project.

However reading their news and online forum on their site there seems to have been no updates for a while.

The few commenting there seem to think its died a death!

Hi

Minor point there were 57, the prototype had a lot of differences from the production version.

Cheers

Paul

Sorry Paul, I wasn't awear of that. This isn't really my field. Thanks for pointing that out.

P.S.: So are they doing one of the 57 production machines, or the prototype?

Complaining about how much the new RTR Blue Pullman costs. I'm not paying more than £20 for the whole set.......

Indeed, the NRM has probably already scanned the 76 so Bachmann could do a very nice one with them, probably cheaper than this too. The full blueprints are however available as well.

Blue Pullmann is a task for anyone as nothing survives and I understand drawings are hard to come by too.

• RMweb Gold

Exactly.

I have only ever put a deposit down on a model ahead of seeing it and thats for the Class 37 groups 37 coming out later in the year. But on their application form it had confidence building statments such as "Returnable Deposit" and " deposit returned if project does not go ahead"

This advert implies send £50 and hope for the best....wink.gif laugh.gif

I don't blame you Garry - not just from the viewpoint of 'will it be right?' (which is a difficult enough task with an EM1 - lots of subtlety in one of those) but from the viewpoint of money tied up for goodness only knows how long. I paid a 30 quid deposit on the Swindon special 'Castle' at the end of October against a January delivery date - the delivery date slipped, then it slipped again to 'we are told we should get it in April', then it slipped again with an unofficial 'end of May if we're lucky'; what next I wonder? And that's for something from a manufacturer who is fairly reliable on product outline nowadays and normally not bad on delivery dates.

The one good thing about paying a deposit upfront at present is that the money would otherwise earn the better part of sweet f.a. sitting in the bank. But that shouldn't really have to be the point as in my view a deposit represents a two-way commitment and contract between purchaser and vendor, and the purchaser expects - rightly - to be getting something in return.

Mind you if it's any good I think it would look quite nice on a GWR branchline layout ...

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Paul, I wasn't awear of that. This isn't really my field. Thanks for pointing that out.

P.S.: So are they doing one of the 57 production machines, or the prototype?

Hi

All the photos on their website would suggest the production type as would the liveries. Tommy (the prototype) never received a 760xx number but carried the number 26000.

Some information here

http://www.thewoodheadsite.org.uk/

Cheers

Paul

Blue Pullmann is a task for anyone as nothing survives and I understand drawings are hard to come by too.

Although I've not got my copy to hand, I seem to remember there is a set of drawings in Kevin Robertson's book. According to the chap at ICM, it's the underframe works drawings which seem to have vanished and was the reason I was given that his kit had stalled (although this was a couple of years ago now). I guess with modern image processing software and a couple of known reference measurements would provide a guide to the measurements at least.

Oh, and allegedly there's a set of seats on the Bluebell from a set. I'd love to see some photos of them if anyone has got any!

Pix

• RMweb Premium

The bottom of the page with the class 76 says a dedicated web site will be appearing soon ending in .co.uk not .com.

Its not there yet. Is this where the Blue Pulman details will be?

Cheers

Ian in Blackpool

Modellers in 1960 would be puzzled by todays preoccupation with the somewhat obscure and at that time unexciting Blue Pullman. But I suppose it is ineviable that todays modellers will be looking around for anything with diesel or electric propulsion because in their eyes it is 'normal' and 'quasi-modern'.

If things were otherwise there would be cries for all the thousands of other locos that were around in 1960 at the time of the Blue Pullman and which have yet to be produced RTR. The surface of the potential steam market has barely been scratched, but stream-era modellers are not nearly so vocal.

Nevertheless, I actually fancy a Class 76 to put on the shelf even though I had no time for them in 1954........What's wrong with me?wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

Modellers in 1960 would be puzzled by todays preoccupation with the somewhat obscure and at that time unexciting Blue Pullman. But I suppose it is ineviable that todays modellers will be looking around for anything with diesel or electric propulsion because in their eyes it is 'normal' and 'quasi-modern'.

If things were otherwise there would be cries for all the thousands of other locos that were around in 1960 at the time of the Blue Pullman and which have yet to be produced RTR. The surface of the potential steam market has barely been scratched, but stream-era modellers are not nearly so vocal.

Nevertheless, I actually fancy a Class 76 to put on the shelf even though I had no time for them in 1954........What's wrong with me?wink.gif

I always quite liked the look of them (and the EM2s) hence the possibility mentioned above about finding one on an ex-GW branchline - so there must be something really wrong with me :blink: .

hi guys,

just lifted this from Facebook

Model Rail magazine - Olivia's Trains IS working with Heljan on a OO gauge Class 76, and has plans for a Blue Pullman and EM2. See June issue of MR (on sale shortly) for the exclusive full story

Alistair

The full story of this and another - unconnected - massive news announcement is exclusively revealed in the forthcoming MODEL RAIL.

CHRIS LEIGH

Excellent. Any ideas when I can expect my subscription copy to flop through the letterbox?

According to the Olivia's site, full story on the Class 76 project will now be released in June's Model Rail.

EDIT: despite reading through this topic a couple of times today I managed to miss Chris' post above. D'oh!

Archived