Olivia's Class 76 LE (inc earlier Blue Pullman content)

Gulliver

I was under the impression that mentioning the B*** P****** on here was akin to Harry Potter mentioning he-who-must-not-be-named...

Like many impressions about forum policy, incorrect. What we've historically had a problem with was perpetual wishlisting of the unit, plus a persistent but immature poster who wanted to produce one (and probably would have taken deposits to that end), both of which clearly had no idea of the commercial realities. The current situation looks rather different.

Cheers.

• RMweb Gold

Next issue is due May 20th so a few days before that for us subscribers. Which could mean in a couple of days timesmile.gif

I hope so - I'm off on hols very shortly but I could always nip into WHS somewhere for a browse I s'pose.

Interesting that Chris used the word 'massive' - so it's either an 0 gauge Sentinel or an 00 Garratt ;) (if it's the latter the LNER one would go rather nicely with the EM1 and the O4).

• RMweb Premium

Neither the 76 or BP are on my 'list', though are appealing, but not enough so to warrant me putting down a deposit. I, like others, also feel that after the 17, 14, and 86 from Heljan, I'd rather hang on and see something 'in the flesh' before putting in an order.

Re laser scanning, it would be nice if Heljan could invest in that for the 76. Obviously without a time machine it can't happen for the BP... ;)

Now that someone has declared intent to produce a Blue Pullman I wouldn't worry too much who produces it - another two or three from other manufacturers will soon be following behind (cynic in me...) Whoever produces it, maybe they'll follow Hornby's example with the HST - basic three or four car pack, additional cars available as you have money / space to run. This would make it available to many more budgets. They'll be many casual modellers unaware of any BP until they see it in the shops; If they're anything like some modellers I knew in my model shop days the BP pack will look so attractive, they'll probably buy on impulse.

Steve.

Now that someone has declared intent to produce a Blue Pullman I wouldn't worry too much who produces it - another two or three from other manufacturers will soon be following behind (cynic in me...) Whoever produces it, maybe they'll follow Hornby's example with the HST - basic three or four car pack, additional cars available as you have money / space to run. This would make it available to many more budgets. They'll be many casual modellers unaware of any BP until they see it in the shops; If they're anything like some modellers I knew in my model shop days the BP pack will look so attractive, they'll probably buy on impulse.

Steve.

It wouldn't appear in any model shops if its a commission by Olivia's Trains.. They would also have to make the extra coaches very expensive or overprice the power cars to compensate if they leave cars out for now. The alleged problem with the Pullman has always been the amount of variation involved from multiple bogie designs to all the different types of car.

The HST has still left us with decent power cars and nothing up to spec to go in between..

The other problem I have with Heljan and that unit is the printing of fine detail is awful from Heljan, look at the BR crests. The Pullman crest will look rubbish compared to what Hornby manage if done in the same way.

I've asked this before, but is this (along with the 28) another case of 'bagsying' every model on current wish lists, thus deterring other manufacturers from producing them. The culprits can then keep punters waiting for them for years!

On the other hand, these could already near the shelves like the secretly developed City of Truro! blink.gif

Unless these models hit the shelves in the next 12 months, I think this is bad form on the part of Heljan.

As far as upfront development and production costs, has Abramovic taken an interest in model railway retailing in South Yorkshire?

N

I've asked this before, but is this (along with the 28) another case of 'bagsying' every model on current wish lists, thus deterring other manufacturers from producing them. The culprits can then keep punters waiting for them for years!

Unless these models hit the shelves in the next 12 months, I think this is bad form on the part of Heljan.

I dont think there's any particular evidence to support this, is there?

Heljan certainly arent above criticism ATM but I dont think they're generally regarded as being slow to bring products to market. As for deterring other manufacturers, HJ are recognised now as carving out a niche with oddball prototypes; I think the only half-plausible sniff of any interest here is that Bachmann *might* have been looking at the 14. As for anything else on HJ's 'to do' list, Bachmann wouldnt be interested and Hornby wont have heard of itdry.gif

One thing that did strike we as odd, there was a nice big editorial in Hornby Mag about the latest wish list and Blue Pullmans topping them once again AND a report on the lists and their contents practically on the next page wondering if anyone would ever be brave enough to take the risk.

Then, in the same issue there is an ad showing this very project? Does the magazine editorial team actually read the adverts when they come in to print?

On the other hand, these could already near the shelves like the secretly developed City of Truro! blink.gif

How so? These are commisions from Heljan. Damn straight the commisioning party will announce early to set their mark - just take a look at the Kernow 205 thread as to what can happen. DapolDave was very candid there and the end result is that Kernow were saved a potentially very expensive duplication of effort.

The wishlists will likely only be depopulated of the more "interesting" prototypes by comissions such as these.

excellent news, Heljan will certainly be busy!! class 28, 76 and blue pullman, although not on any of my lists id have one of each!! even with my own blue pullman, id still consider a western region blue grey one. i just hope they take their time with it, if pete watermans just like the real thing range took so long to get plans that were accurate, then Heljan should take note and take time to get it 'spot on'. i think some seriouse saving is needed, the next year or so will be expensive!!!

what was that noise~? triang pullman prices crashing on ebay!!! tee hee hee!!!!!! rolleyes.gif

The other problem I have with Heljan and that unit is the printing of fine detail is awful from Heljan, look at the BR crests. The Pullman crest will look rubbish compared to what Hornby manage if done in the same way.

I'm sure John at Cambridge Custom Transfers will be willing to sell a set of his transfers to better the factory printing.

Anyway, we're dreaming up potential errors and shortcomings here on a model that doesn't yet exist.

As far as upfront development and production costs, has Abramovic taken an interest in model railway retailing in South Yorkshire?

N

The CoBo hasn't been measured yet, but it will be within the next month, so expect that a model will be done within the next 18 months?

I hope so - I'm off on hols very shortly but I could always nip into WHS somewhere for a browse I s'pose.

Interesting that Chris used the word 'massive' - so it's either an 0 gauge Sentinel or an 00 Garratt ;) (if it's the latter the LNER one would go rather nicely with the EM1 and the O4).

Woodhead fever? LOL

The NEWS is MASSIVE (in my opinion) not the actual size of the model!

As to Editors seeing ads before they are printed (I'm sure Mike Wild's situation is much the same as ours) the ads department is a separate operation, on a different floor, the pages are handled through a different system and we don't see any of them until we get a printed magazine (unless someone in the ads section happens to ask us to look at a specific page).

CHRIS LEIGH

Well I'll have a couple of Blue Pullmans, either MR or WR.

BUT, after so many false starts I'll believe it when I see it.

And as Dan Griffin say's,

"what was that noise~? triang pullman prices crashing on ebay!!! tee hee hee!!!!!! rolleyes.gif "

That must be good news , unless you are a seller.

Is it really fair to comment on the accuracy of a possible model from a manufacturer which we are not even sure is being made yet? I'm sure if the news of these models are correct then the commisoner will work closely with the maufacturer to get the models as spot on as possible.

Eh ? Sorry, have you not been keeping up at the back ? Any initial happiness at the announcement of a new model is now tempered by the follow up "who's making it? ".

Bachmann (yeah!) Hornby (yeah!) Heljan (ermm......)

Have to say very tempted by a model 76. Was always fascinated by Woodhead, just missed seeing it in action, although I do recall the 76s being lined up withdrawn at Guide Bridge.

Now Bachmann will announce a 77.....

Update on that link

Not fixed for me. All I get is a "watch this space/Model Rail page", and clicking the 76 link refreshes the same page :( .

Cheers, Peter C.

Rats, they've changed it and I didn't get a screen shot.

I dont think there's any particular evidence to support this, is there?

Heljan certainly arent above criticism ATM but I dont think they're generally regarded as being slow to bring products to market. As for deterring other manufacturers, HJ are recognised now as carving out a niche with oddball prototypes; I think the only half-plausible sniff of any interest here is that Bachmann *might* have been looking at the 14. As for anything else on HJ's 'to do' list, Bachmann wouldnt be interested and Hornby wont have heard of itdry.gif

Agreed that Heljan seem to be quick to get announced product out, although I'd argue Dapol are probably the quickest. They even imply this and have a dig at others with their "delivering our promises" boasts on their adverts.

Its a point I've wondered before too, particularly for Bachmann and their long gestations periods. Worst offender being the Class 150, taking ages from "announcement" to actually appearing. Once a manufacturer announces its intentions, it queers the pitch for anyone else wishing to bring out that model - its been "bagsied" !

Competition laws stop the companies talking to "divvy up" the market and agreeing future products.

With the 76's we will need a catenary system, and 1500v DC OHL is big and thick and heavy. Will we see a "woodhead range" tied into this from Peco, to go with their AC catenary system ?

• RMweb Gold

Eh ? Sorry, have you not been keeping up at the back ? Any initial happiness at the announcement of a new model is now tempered by the follow up "who's making it? ".

Bachmann (yeah!) Hornby (yeah!) Heljan (ermm......)

I really hope that was an attempt a sarcasam on your part. Whilst most can agree that Heljan have made boo-boo's on some of their models it can also be said that Bachmann and Hornby have also made a turkey or two. I just think its a bit premature for people to be having a go before they've even seen a test shot, a pre-production model or heaven forbid a finished model itself.

Its a point I've wondered before too, particularly for Bachmann and their long gestations periods. Worst offender being the Class 150, taking ages from "announcement" to actually appearing. Once a manufacturer announces its intentions, it queers the pitch for anyone else wishing to bring out that model - its been "bagsied" !

Competition laws stop the companies talking to "divvy up" the market and agreeing future products.

With the 76's we will need a catenary system, and 1500v DC OHL is big and thick and heavy. Will we see a "woodhead range" tied into this from Peco, to go with their AC catenary system ?

Its a bit unfair bringing the 150 up now, they have since changed their model quite a bit and things like the 7F and cl70 have had preproduction models shown quite soon after announcing. Under the new model you probably wouldn't have heard of the 150 for another year..

As for slow companies, Peco probably beats them all with decades late products!

I really hope that was an attempt a sarcasam on your part. Whilst most can agree that Heljan have made boo-boo's on some of their models it can also be said that Bachmann and Hornby have also made a turkey or two. I just think its a bit premature for people to be having a go before they've even seen a test shot, a pre-production model or heaven forbid a finished model itself.

Indeed Bachmann and Hornby have occasionally made a turkey but Heljan on the other hand has occasionally made a good model, slightly different ;). I thought the comment was quite apt actually.

The lowest form of wit ? Not at all....the widespread disappointment felt when the Western came out, the shape of the 86, the tubby duff, the wonky 17, the odd shapes of the 33's - and have you tried to DCC the 14 ?

And have you seen their O guage mark 1's ? Completely the wrong shape - the trademark curved bodysides are miles out and there is an odd curve in the roof profile to compensate. They drew some very strong comments in my local shop. One bloke had been waiting ages for them and was heartbroken by the end result.

They've been brave by doing the oddballs - I have a 53 and Kestrel, look forward to a Lion. The 15 is good too, but Heljan have a lot of form, more "duffs" and "so-nearly's" than anyone else. And as for the class 47 chassis metal problem.....

But then.....blow me, they're making a 28. Yes, I've ordered one.......

Archived