Heljan 47 Chassis issues

kintbury jon

Have checked on mine as a result of this thread and it appears to be fine. Purchased from Rails about 5 years ago it’s a GSYP unnumbered and apart from occasional running spends most of its life in its box in the wardrobe at a reasonably constant room temperature. Some of the photos I’ve seen on here look horrific but (so far) I’m pleased to say, no problems. Makes we wonder if I should remove the plastic sleeve that it’s wrapped in though, just in case….?

Have checked on mine as a result of this thread and it appears to be fine. Purchased from Rails about 5 years ago it’s a GSYP unnumbered and apart from occasional running spends most of its life in its box in the wardrobe at a reasonably constant room temperature. Some of the photos I’ve seen on here look horrific but (so far) I’m pleased to say, no problems. Makes we wonder if I should remove the plastic sleeve that it’s wrapped in though, just in case….?

I dont think it will make much difference, as its pollution of the Zinc that causes the failure of the mazak. I'd expect large temp changes might accelerate the process, but if it is polluted I don't think anything can be done to stop it.

• 6 months later...

We have got piles of them between us. It is still our Duff of choice and I won't go into all the reasons. Between us ( and I am talking about 60+ locos) we have 2 go 'bad' on us. Both are VERY early models. I think mine was the First RES release. If I had any advice II would say avoid the very first release. There after we haven't had an issue.

The trouble with second hand models is that you don't know whether the body is on the original chassis or whether it's been swapped over in the past. Sometimes it's easy to tell if the tanks aren't correct for the model, most often it's impossible to know.

Good point. Most of my fleet (20+, possibly) have been swapped and chopped and changed at some point. I've just sold one on t'Bay that never should have had sprung buffers, but it did.

That said, I still have one that I bought within days of the first release and that's fine (touch wood, fingers crossed etc etc)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I recently noticed one of my 47 chassis blocks have started to warp, did make enquiries about replacemrnt chassis but didnt sound to hopeful, didnt seem to think Heljan would be producing anymore, does anybody know of any alternative chassis that would fit.

Thanks Alan

Rang them last week was told they didint have any and didnt expect anymore however they would contact Heljan to see if they could get some. I dont hold out much hope but you never know, i just wonder how many people have affected locos sat in cupboards which at sometime will need chassis blocks for this could be an issue for years to come yet.

Alan

I have 2 TTGSYP versions (cat no.4700, originally D1100) bought new in 2003 and 2006, and so far there's no sign of any problems, if that adds to the collective knowledge of which models are affected by the chassis issues.  But I'll keep them (and my 17s and 26s) under periodic observation !

Alasdair

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

There's not a defintive list as far as I know, but I have made a note of the suspect ones as best I can from info on here and ebay etc. That's not to say that every example of a particular loco would be affected, just that a good chance that they might be. I have these by Heljan code numbers - it's easy enough to find livery and number details from Google.

4611/22/30/40/51/61/63/64/76/78/79/80

4700/01/33/51/53

4808/10

The 46xx ref numbers seem to be most affected and are the original releases from 2003.

My class 47`s have had that same problem .

just double check that the cab implants are in the correct positions.

I think your loco will be OK, I too have D1662 ,with no problems.

When these things want to grow. they don`t hold back.

just check that the battery/water tanks are not getting to close to the rails.

2 of my 47`s, grew that much, you could rock them in the middle.

I have bought two 4753 on the cheap (47122 in blue, original style roof with no serck shutters) and both were very badly affected, hence why they were cheap. Why did I buy them you may ask? For the Spanner boiler port.

For Aberdeen Kirkhill we have about thirty Heljan 47s of the following types: 4800 (47591), 4801 (47636), 4802 (47211), 4806 (47593), 4807 (47715), 4812 (47063), 4813 (47635). Over the past six years none of the locos have been affected. We do not keep them in their original boxes but in wooden holders (with bubble wrap lining for protection).

I also have two of 4700 (D1100) and two of 4731 (47059) which have also not been affected, these have been kept in their boxes.

Archived