Heljan class 28

class29returns

I await the postman and chance to swap the wires around. It will be a great day when D5705's engine return to life too.

Slight off topic again, we're going to make a serious start on stripping D5705s engine ready to take the new internals we have in the middle of next month. The cylinder head bolts are torqued to something silly like 1800 flbs so getting them off might be fun! I'll keep you all updated on how things are going as and when.

Edited by D605Eagle

Slight off topic again, we're going to make a serious start on stripping D5705s engine ready to take the new internals we have in the middle of next month. The cylinder head bolts are torqued to something silly like 1800 flbs so getting them off might be fun! I'll keep you all updated on how things are going as and when.

You ain't gonna shift the bolts with a tap wrench and an 'easy out' then. ;)

just use some of this instead :)

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

a D5712 has arrived here in NZ, don't know how it runs as the layout is in storage.

One feature that I've not seen mentioned is that it is numbered only on one side....

I assume it was missed, not sure yet whether I will send it back or number it myself.

Roger

• RMweb Gold

D5700 arrived today, haven't run it yet but lookswise it's a stunner.......hardly any little fiddly bits to fit to test my 65 year old eyes!!! :biggrin_mini2:

Brilliant.......bring on the Beyer-Garratt :blum:

Rgds.......Mike

Just noticed this on the Ultrascale website:

Heljan Class 28

If anyone is interested in a conversion for the new Heljan Class 28. Please send an email stating you interest and required gauge.

If there is a call for it we will look at doing a batch run for this model, as soon as we are able to obtain one.

Current interest: 4

So anyone interested in EM or P4 versions should state their interest asap.

Stan

quick go at recreating an old shot I like..

coboblack5.jpg

there is nothing really to fault, if I were to be extremley fussy and nit pick, the side handrails Id probably change for metal, slight bend in them, the roof fan mesh on mine wasnt exactly square on which is easily fixed, and I think I would replace the british railways emblem, just doesnt seem printed crisply enough and the red isnt very bright. and thats being very critical.

overall very happy, havent ran mine yet, will give it a run in on the clubroom test track this evening :)

• Like 2

Guest Max Stafford

That's about my own view of the model, Mike. I thought I'd cancelled mine when I had to fix my duplicated account; obviously I didn't but frankly I like mine so much I'm keeping it anyway!

Dave.

Ive never owned a Heljan loco before, whats the best way to remove the printed on numbering and emblem?

Very gently with curved scalpel blades - numbering anyway, I've never needed to lose the emblem.

Lifecolor acrylic Brunswick green not a bad match should you require, but Hj products apparently matched to Railmatch. But it won't come to that.

• Like 1

I havent glued my discs in yet, but heres some shot of how I think Ill have mine..

d5702.jpg

cobo2.jpg

the right hand vacuum pipe I think should be tucked back, always seems to be in the shots Ive seen,

will also put the horns on.

overall its nice to have a proper rtr model, something that really doesnt need anything done to it

• Like 1

if I were to be extremley fussy and nit pick, the side handrails Id probably change for metal, slight bend in them,

You may just be changing them for changes sake, IIRC the cab door handrails were more oval in shape and mounted to short pillars that went in to the body with a short "stump" above and below. The handrails were also chrome plated as well.

If you would like some photos let me know.

OzzyO.

You may just be changing them for changes sake, IIRC the cab door handrails were more oval in shape and mounted to short pillars that went in to the body with a short "stump" above and below. The handrails were also chrome plated as well.

If you would like some photos let me know.

OzzyO.

sorry I meant there is a slight unintential warp in mine, can see it on some of my shots above. shows up moreso in close photography

Mike D wrote:

cheers Stan, one vote here for an EM set.

Looks like Mike was the only one to add his vote to the four of us ahead of him in the queue. See Ultrascale website where you will find this:

Heljan Class 28

If anyone is interested in a conversion for the new Heljan Class 28. Please send an email stating you interest and required gauge.

If there is a call for it we will look at doing a batch run for this model, as soon as we are able to obtain one.

Update:

We now have a Class 28 model to develop the conversion on all we now require are modellers that are interested in a conversion for this model, so they can be added to the first batch run once development is complete.

Current interest: 5

Just checked the prototype data on the clag site, and the 17 had 3ft3in dia wheels, wheres the cobo had 3ft3.5in dia wheels. So for the sake of 0.5 in (0.125mm in model terms) coulodn`t you just use the wheels for a 17? Or have hj altered the cogs/axles between the two models?

Edited by cheesysmith

cobo2.jpg

the right hand vacuum pipe I think should be tucked back, always seems to be in the shots Ive seen,

will also put the horns on.

overall its nice to have a proper rtr model, something that really doesnt need anything done to it

I assume that is supposed to represent the steam heating pipe which was usually restrained by some chain although the end fitting on the pipe on the model makes it look more like an air brake pipe.

Just checked the prototype data on the clag site, and the 17 had 3ft3in dia wheels, wheres the cobo had 3ft3.5in dia wheels. So for the sake of 0.5 in (0.125mm in model terms) coulodn`t you just use the wheels for a 17? Or have hj altered the cogs/axles between the two models?

I would have thought the diameter of a worn wheel requiring new tyres and a new one would have been about that if not a little more!