Heljan class 28

class29returns

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to get the body off to reverse the pickup wires. I have put a credit card in all 4 corners of the body and the body clips are clear of the chassis but I can not get the body to seperate am I missing something? is there any screws securing the body which has to be released first, any help much appreciated. All I seem to be able to do is damage various pipes. Since handling I have had hand rails front grab rails and windscreen wiper fall off !

Edited by chopper20059

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to get the body off to reverse the pickup wires. I have put a credit card in all 4 corners of the body and the body clips are clear of the chassis but I can not get the body to seperate am I missing something? is there any screws securing the body which has to be released first, any help much appreciated. All I seem to be able to do is damage various pipes. Since handling I have had hand rails front grab rails and windscreen wiper fall off !

I had the same issue and broke off most of the pipework trying. I could free the sides and not the ends. I carefully kept rocking the body from side to side at one end. Eventually the front came free at one end and it was enough to free the fames and release the opposite end. On mine it appeared that the glue applied to the buffer shanks had run on the chassis block. . You could see minor glue stains on the frames at the front. Then the body did not want to go back and appeared to bow out from my attempts to release. I had to leave the body off with some weight applied to flatten the side again. All fine now. Bring back good old screw fittings.

Good luck

Mike Wiltshire

I had the same issue and broke off most of the pipework trying. I could free the sides and not the ends. I carefully kept rocking the body from side to side at one end. Eventually the front came free at one end and it was enough to free the fames and release the opposite end. On mine it appeared that the glue applied to the buffer shanks had run on the chassis block. . You could see minor glue stains on the frames at the front. Then the body did not want to go back and appeared to bow out from my attempts to release. I had to leave the body off with some weight applied to flatten the side again. All fine now. Bring back good old screw fittings.

I agree the underneath plumbing is very delicate. The first comment I got when running mine round the club layout was that a buffer was missing (into oblivion), then one of the cab handrails fell off - I did manage to find that though - these would appear to be showcase models, not 'playing trains' models.

Still to rewire to go the right way!

Edited by Poor Old Bruce

Rewiring is straightforward, the black and red were the opposite way round (from the pics on the Hattons printout) on the two models i did for a friend at the club, swapped over as described and problem sorted. I'll post a couple of pics tomorrow as I've weathered them now. I'm not a fan of the early green diesels (especially oddballs!) but i must admit they do look the part. Almost tempted. . :no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rewiring is straightforward, the black and red were the opposite way round (from the pics on the Hattons printout) on the two models i did for a friend at the club, swapped over as described and problem sorted. I'll post a couple of pics tomorrow as I've weathered them now. I'm not a fan of the early green diesels (especially oddballs!) but i must admit they do look the part. Almost tempted. . :no:

Definitely---from a point of local historical significance alone. 17A based in late 50's,early 60's.The second main line diesels to work the Midland main line--regularly on St. Pancras--Manchester trains via the now disappeared Peak line--the first being 10000 & 10001.They worked in pairs,using ,as I recall, the interconnecting doors. There was some alteration to the cab windows after that---& the Hattons model is post whenever that was. A pair would look great behind a rake of maroon Mark 1's--no yellow apron ,though. A case made for temptation ?

• Like 1

looks great!

b&r video vol 57 part 4 Burnley to Bolton has colour cine footage of 2 unidentified Co-Bo's passing light engine through Botlon Trinity street en route to Manchester in the mid 60s, dont know if they where rare at Bolton but nice to see a bit of footage even if it is only a few seconds.

• Like 1

seems a bit quiet on the class 28 front, would love to see more pics of peoples 28's on layouts, especially if theyve been weathered up

Mike

Afternoon

Here's D5718 with extra weathering, new sandpipes and new front end grab-rails

Depicting a Heysham Moss / Whitehaven tank train.

The Bo end disc is for a Barrow / Lancaster/ Preston stopper.

Steve

002.jpg001.jpg004.jpg003.jpg

Edited by Carnforth
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

some really nice prototype shots, I quite fancy another one

7023424353_d5d495409c_b.jpg

D5703 Arnside Viaduct 2.5.68 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

6877323536_0a1f332184_b.jpg

D5712 Shap Quarry 1.4.67 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

7023423583_7a2326c054_b.jpg