Heljan class 28

class29returns

I'm just re-starting my modelling interest after a long hiatus, mainly due to the excellent RTR models now coming out with sound and lighting.

My interest is Derbyshire and will be modelling the peak line Ambergate-Millers Dale and would welcome updates on the Heljan Co-Bo as only an example with original wraparound windows would 'fit' so was wondering if there are plans for any after market detailing packs or body shells.

As an aside, what do people think of the shade of green used on this and other early diesel types ?

The colour slides I have seen suggest the hue of the early diesel green was more olive than brunswick. Thoughts?

Edited by Holmesfeldian

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes I see the bargains and I quite fancy one. Only trouble is L & Y tank arrived last week and another loco shaped box will cause mutiny in the ranks. So will hold off in the hope that prices come down and conditions at home ease!

The price reductions could be counter-productive for future models though. I paid £125 for my class 28 some time ago. The result of the current discounting is that I have decided to not buy any Heljan locos at full price and will star waiting for the heavy discounting. I doubt that I will be alone.

The price reductions could be counter-productive for future models though. I paid £125 for my class 28 some time ago. The result of the current discounting is that I have decided to not buy any Heljan locos at full price and will star waiting for the heavy discounting. I doubt that I will be alone.

The co-bo are exclusive to hattons so their selling price will always be higher initially. Clearly they have now decided to try and sell through some or all remaining stock at what would have been their selling price on a mainstream model. This is No doubt to prepare for the impending Garratt models. A second run ofCo-bo is perhaps very unlikely in the near future.

As for other mainstream Heljan models, I don't think that they get discounted any more than Hornby or Bachmann and some models hold their value very well as they sell Quickly - the class 27s are rarely discounted. Bachamm type 2s and class 37s are often in Hattons bargain bin at a fraction of their RRP. It does not stop Me buying new models as you never know what will sell out and what will end up on discount.

Edited by black and decker boy

• RMweb Gold

Finally took the bait D5705 GSYP ordered today, £89.

She languished at the back of Bristol Bath road in 1976, and was lucky to survive, some local yobs setting fire to her.

Decoder fitting - care needed my D5701 body was a very tight fit. Strong sustained pull with bits of plasticard/old credit cards inserted as suggested and a bit of wiggling. Pop, and the "seal broke" and body and chassis separated rapidly. It is a very fine model runs a treat as do all Heljan diesels.

Neil

The difference in price is a significant factor, but the pleasure of enjoying the use of the model from its initial release is something I would miss - not to mention the ulcers I might get worrying about if the loco would ever be discounted and whether the one I wanted in a particular livery would still be available.

Peace of mind has its price! ;)

For those who are willing to wait, there is clearly a trend for eventual discounting.  However, although I'm certainly not a Veruca Salt type, there are some items (perfect for my layout/likely to sell out/strong element of nostalgia) that I will buy straight away, even knowing they will eventually be discounted.  Bachmann's maximum discount policy for the first 8 weeks after release was designed to catch people like me and I think there are a lot of us in the hobby!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Slightly OT but interesting to see how different the well weathered and less weathered 47's look in that first pic.

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 1

For those who are willing to wait, there is clearly a trend for eventual discounting. However, although I'm certainly not a Veruca Salt type, there are some items (perfect for my layout/likely to sell out/strong element of nostalgia) that I will buy straight away, even knowing they will eventually be discounted. Bachmann's maximum discount policy for the first 8 weeks after release was designed to catch people like me and I think there are a lot of us in the hobby!

The problem (or not) is you never know what will make it as far as the discount bin and what will be long sold out.

For purely nice to have purchases,I am happy to wait and take the risk. For essentials, I buy on preorder. Bulk buys (wagons etc) tend to be on discount.

I am now the owner of a second co-bo. One full price, 1 discount. Happy days indeed.

Edited by black and decker boy

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered one of these, it will be interesting to put it alongside the old Horny Dublo version I have, once I get that out of storage.

You'll probably want to put it away again, sharpish! I had an H-D Co-Bo at one time and now have a Heljan model, to be honest there's absolutely no comparison.

• Like 1

You'll probably want to put it away again, sharpish! I had an H-D Co-Bo at one time and now have a Heljan model, to be honest there's absolutely no comparison.

Its that bad is it?  I know the HD version wont run on my layout, tried several years ago on a different one and its flanges were too large so it rode over the sleepers.

Never owned an Heljan model before, so should be interesting to see how they compare to other manufacturers.

My HD example was built by me from spare parts, but is basically as supplied by HD. Though the body was stripped to bare metal before brush painting, and Flushglaze added. Looks good actually. However I've just got a D5700 for £84 (!) from Hattons, so will be looking to sell it on.

Stewart

The HD model could be improved, though having a metal body it took a bit of work. Here's mine, detailed, weathered and with Gibson wheels. The second photo shows it with an out if the box Heljan model.

post-6861-0-82749100-1389779464.jpg

post-6861-0-62247700-1389779496.jpg

The HD model draws quite a current by modern standards.

• Like 3