The Tyne dock Consett thread.

My love of the 9f has drawn me to look at this particular stretch of railway, after learning all I think Ill ever need to know on theyre other famous workings, such as on the S&D and ore trains on the Wirral.

now I dont know the area at all. and Ive previously steered clear of looking into it as I usually try and learn more about lines closer to home first.

from books and the internet it seems that theyres very little left now.

theyre seems a lot more info on the 9fs and previous locos on the Tyne dock- Consett ore working,

one good book with plenty of shots is a detailed history of the 9fs rcts. and also past n present no 4. (page 21 has a nice shot Id like to identify)

Ive been trying to follow the route of google earth and google street view, its possible to follow it, but sadly its gone apart from road bridges etc.

heres a newsclip of the last train to Consett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toO7fWpYGJ4

I thought it be nice if people could share recollections, pics, info etc of the railway, how it was, how it is now, the locos that worked it etc etc

I was going to put this in questions, but theres not really a question I want to ask about it as such, just general chat really.

cheers

Mike

• Like 4

Having grown up about half a mile from the trackbed of this line, I have always had an interest in its long and rich history stemming from my dad (who eventually went on to create Blackgill after years of procrastination). A couple of good books to get an idea of the area and the line are:

G. Whittle's 'Railways of Consett and North West Durham. A cracking book and comprehensive history of the line, but out of print and quite expensive second-hand!

A more affordable and recent book is Consett to South Shields: Via Beamish by Roger Darsley. Following the line from end to end, it is full of interesting photos and maps.

The DVDs mentioned above are also very much worth a watch.

If you want to get a closer look at the line, much of it now forms part of the Sustrans 'C2C' cycle route and there is a lot of railway interest left between Consett and Washington.

If you've got any further questions just ask and I'll see if I can answer them.

Cheers,

Arp

cheers Mike and Arp.

its more of a passing interest really, I wont be building locos or a layout.

really do love Blackgill by the way.

but I will certainly get a few books and dvds, could you pick out a favourite from those dvds listed? one that has a lot of 9fs on the iron trains? best quality footage etc.

Mike

Are you sure it was 92065, Mike, and not 92165? 92065 didn't last long after the Consett trains went over to diesel haulage, though there is a photo of it at Chester shed in March 1967, a month before it was withdrawn from Wakefield. 92165 (one of the three 9Fs fitted with a mechanical stoker) was shedded at Birkenhead for quite a few years, and was withdrawn from Speke Junction.

• RMweb Premium

There a few photos of the Tyne Dock 2-10-0s on my "Pphotos of the Eastern Region" thread. See link at the bottom of this posting. There are three of 92065 blasting its way to Consett from Pelton. There are others at Tyne Dock Shed and Low Fell. Try halfway down on pare 1 for starters. Sorry this page is very long as it was transferred from the old RMWEB.

• 3 years later...

I appreciate that this is an old thread but I found it after a Google search and though my new website may be useful for anyone interested in the line.  Whilst it is primarily concerned with South Pelaw Junction on the line, I am beginning to cover other parts as well with a number of 'then and now' photos.

The website can be found here: www.southpelawjunction.co.uk

John

Edited by johndon

• 2 weeks later...

Its so long ago that I can't remember the year or any details, but I'm sure I went to Redmire and Consett on a DMU.

That may well have been 9th September 1972 on the RCTS 'Northern Dales' railtour: http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/70s/720909bl.html

John

In nearly 40 years of being into railways I have never seen a photo of Stella Gill box before  :O

Neither had I until a few weeks ago... :)

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 1

This might be worth a Viewing. Bit of rail interest in part 3 if you want to know how to mark up plates for your plate wagons.

It's in 3 parts.

Also in 3 parts is this Anti Nationalisation film

and a bit of rail interest in this blurry offering but it give a little idea of the traffic coming up the bank into Consett..

Porcy

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

No worries John. I remember a friend and I once visited a guy in Consett who had , among other things, an NER slotted post signal in the cupboard under the stairs! I commented that it seemed that the line had been demolished in such a way (bridge spans removed shortly after closure etc) as to deliberately make it virtually impossible to ever reopen it, and he agreed.