The Tyne dock Consett thread.

Still there to this day, almost 30 years since the last train.  This lot was picked up just this week at the site of Beamish station, still just lying on the surface:

Iron-Ore-Pellets.jpg

John

There is still some (lots) of these pellets at Boldon North jct and at Gateshead where the line goes over the High Street.

Not bad since the last train ran about 40 years ago!

Mark Saunders

Nice, wouldn't have minded getting my hands on that.

I met Porcy Main at Scalefour North yesterday, he has a great collection of photos of the line, oh to have had a photocopier with me :)

John

Edited by johndon

Steve O - when I click on the link it comes up "No Photo Available" - is that just my PC or has anybody seen them?

...sorry, made the post using my iPhone. Will check / correct tomorrow from the laptop.

Cheers, Steve.

I have now embarked on the construction of South Pelaw - Beamish. In the view below I have copied 1km square Google Maps views onto "Basemaps" which appear as solid flat squares in the simulator and can be height adjusted or rotated. The Terrain is in "Wire Frame" mode so that I can see the basemap just below the surface. This is looking towards Pelton with the line measured out , tracks laid and the road laid over the bridge site.

32005811.6292f6c6.640.jpg
Pelton Trainz 2012 15.4.12 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

• Like 2

I have now embarked on the construction of South Pelaw - Beamish. In the view below I have copied 1km square Google Maps views onto "Basemaps" which appear as solid flat squares in the simulator and can be height adjusted or rotated. The Terrain is in "Wire Frame" mode so that I can see the basemap just below the surface. This is looking towards Pelton with the line measured out , tracks laid and the road laid over the bridge site.

32005811.6292f6c6.640.jpg

Pelton Trainz 2012 15.4.12 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

Just sent you a PM you might find useful as you work up the line...

John

Just noticed on your ipernity site that you've also modelled the snowplough sidings next to the line to Consett  :imsohappy:

Can't tell from the image but there was a crossover in the sidings that would allow a loco to get the buffers in the left hand (as you look towards Consett) siding and then run round.

John

Thanks for the scans John - at the risk of being greedy do you have scans of Pelton station and Stella Gill sidings/washery? I have laid the track as far as Beamish now but have run into a problem. Initially I started at South Pelaw  and used your suggested gradient of 1 in 73 which made Pelton station spot on, the road bridge was just the right height and clearance. However when I came opposite the houses just north of Pelton the track should be level with the road but it was 5 metres below! I visited the NRM on Wednesday and found an NER gradient diagram which showed that through both Pelton and Beamish stations the gradient was rising at 1 in 264 but steepened to 1 in 50. This reduced the difference to 2 metres but there is still a discrepancy at High Hold.

On the subject of the snowplough sidings I have done them as disused track not connected to the mainline, as below. Although my theoretical time period is 1963 I want to have both stations as fully equipped.

One of the interesting things I found from G Whittles book was that when the NCB abandoned most of the Beamish Wagonway they laid a connection from West Pelton to Handen Hold to take coal from the Beamish pits until their closure in 1966, so I can have them too.

21759071.b0a4cc68.500.jpg
County Durham Crusader at Pelton  12.5.79 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

32064367.93271ff8.500.jpg
trainz 2014-04-17 22-08-42-60 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

32064369.c2279bf5.640.jpg
trainz 2014-04-17 22-10-39-05 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

• Like 1

One of the interesting things I found from G Whittles book was that when the NCB abandoned most of the Beamish Wagonway they laid a connection from West Pelton to Handen Hold to take coal from the Beamish pits until their closure in 1966, so I can have them too.

This new connection worked in reverse. Coal from Beamish Mary Colliery instead of working over the Beamish wagonway travelled as it had always done, to High Handen Hold. Then directly south of South View and Black Horse Terrace, reversed onto the new link to Low Handen Hold. The NCB built a new state of the art coal preparation plant  (Washer) and sidings here. This was directly to the North of the bottom of the Eden incline with it's associated BR Locoshed.

The washed coal was hauled by BR along the Pelton Level and down Waldridge incline into Stella Gill Sidings.

Stick 423425 552913 coordinates into Old Maps and bring up the 1960 1:2500 survey and you can follow the "new" link travelling almost directly North South. THE new fan of sidings is at off the map at it's Southern End.

Hth

P

Thanks! BTW I got the Pelton signalling diagram from this page  http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/lnerdiagrams.htm#XN

I am particularly interested in the Beamish Wagonway at Beamish because when my family used to go for runs out in the dales in about 1969 we sometimes passed Beamish and you could see the mysterious level crossing gates disappearing into the trees at the head of the road down to Beamish Hall. I think the track was still in the road surface then too. Sadly it was before I had a camera.

Mention of Stella Gill makes me curious as whether this is where the Stella Coal Company got its name. We used to live in one half of what had been the pit manager's house in Clara Vale, one of their mines; allegedly this, and Emmaville (near Crawcrook), took their names from the owner's daughters.

Mention of Stella Gill makes me curious as whether this is where the Stella Coal Company got its name. We used to live in one half of what had been the pit manager's house in Clara Vale, one of their mines; allegedly this, and Emmaville (near Crawcrook), took their names from the owner's daughters.

I think it highly unlikely. There was a few very deep valleys (Gills) in the area. The Stanhope and Tyne railway originally crossed Stella Gill (through which the Stella Burn Ran) on a large culverted embankment. With increasing coal traffic the much of the North area of the gill was filled in to become the sidings. The Twizell burn into which the Stella flowed took it's name from it's many branches Twizell meaning branch or fork, hence "twizzle stick". (As in divining)

Twizell (the industrial Locomotive) was a regular in Stella Gill sidings, regularly traversing between Morrison Busty Colliery and Handen Hold Washery.

Ooops. Went off on a ramble there... Apologies. I've got an interest in Place names and Stella is one I researched out quite widely as I used to be intimate with a Trinity House vessel called "The Stella".

Back to the Coal Company. I would not discount a connection as coal Company directors had their fingers in many pies (Particularly John Buddle, one of Stella Coal Co's directors.) but the name "Stella" which loosely translates to North, pops up as place name so often I doubt a connection.

P

I've added some new photos of the Consett end of the line here: http://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/?page_id=1143 including a couple of pretty sobering 'before and after' pics...

John

Lots of interesting pictures on your site, I can't get enough of them so thanks for sharing.

I live near Stanley and vividly remember my mam and dad taking my sister and I for walks to the park at Harperley and walking along the freshly stripped track bed with lumps of iron ore in abundance amongst the ballast.

Porcy, do you have your pictures online? I for one would love to see them.

Edited by Paul-2mm

Lots of interesting pictures on your site, I can't get enough of them so thanks for sharing.

I live near Stanley and vividly remember my mam and dad taking my sister and I for walks to the park at Harperley and walking along the freshly stripped track bed with lumps of iron ore in abundance amongst the ballast.

I remember being taken to visit Stanley Zoo by my parents. I wasn't the slightest bit interested in the zoo, only in Oxhill level crossing and the main line. I remember visiting the box just after it closed (1974 I think) but the windows were already out and there was nothing I could take home.

http://sine.ncl.ac.uk/view_image.asp?digital_doc_id=5175

If I had a pound for  every time...

No the photos are not online but probably some of them are somewhere. Very few of the photos are my copyright, although I do know the photographer or copyright holder in most instances.

Sometimes I have a couple of files of photos with me if I am at an exhibition. Next time the Stanhope to Tyne Dock file is travelling will be Railex.

P

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a bit of an unusual one, the only known Class 56 ever to have transited the line to Consett, 56080 at the site of Beamish station on a rail lifting train in May 1984. I'm led to believe that some colour photographs of this working may exist but I've not been able to track them down so far...

9158178087_84ab35b903_o.jpg

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 2

Here's a bit of an unusual one, the only known Class 56 ever to have transited the line to Consett, 56080 at the site of Beamish station on a rail lifting train in May 1984. I'm led to believe that some colour photographs of this working may exist but I've not been able to track them down so far...

9158178087_84ab35b903_o.jpg

John

Nice testament to the insanity of railway closures. The new destroying the old.   :butcher:

Ref my phoro of the iron ore wagon on a passing Consett train. To complete the sequence here is the 9F at the head of the train and guards van at the rear. Both slides, being 50 years old, were heavily contaminated with mould/fungus which I have done my best to remove.

BR Riddles Standard Class 9F 2-10-0 No. 92098 heads a Tyne Dock-Consett iron ore train past Tyne Dock shed circa 1964/5

post-19218-0-90812900-1399821702_thumb.jpg

A guards van on a Tyne Dock-Consett iron ore train passing Tyne Dock shed circa 1964/5

post-19218-0-00576800-1399821718_thumb.jpg

• Like 10