Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter, Ive got the Hornby 4F tender drive and it's fine to be honest.  It's really the Airfix model just slightly updated.

M7's nice to.  Ive got a couple that were unbalanced on their axis between the main wheels and trailing truck.  I inserted a thin plastic washer to lower the truck slightly and the driving wheels now contact the rails much more sure-footedly, thus reducing the number of stalls and adding a bit of traction.

As for the Q1s on S&D......Rule 1 applies mate!

dave

Hi Peter, Ive got the Hornby 4F tender drive and it's fine to be honest.  It's really the Airfix model just slightly updated.

M7's nice to.  Ive got a couple that were unbalanced on their axis between the main wheels and trailing truck.  I inserted a thin plastic washer to lower the truck slightly and the driving wheels now contact the rails much more sure-footedly, thus reducing the number of stalls and adding a bit of traction.

As for the Q1s on S&D......Rule 1 applies mate!

dave

Thanks Dave, 

I might look out for one then, I guess it would be DCC ready too.

The M7 and Q1 where weathered by a friend who passed away a few years back. He used to do a super job. This M7 is a shocker for traction it has trouble on two coaches, so I will try your idea.

I think Q1s would have worked well on the S&D.

Cheers Peter.

Newer Hornby 4Fs have locomotive drive chassis with decent motors, and are DCC-ready (8-pin). I think they were moved to the RailRoad range as well, but still aren't particularly cheap to buy. I would guess that the old body would fit readily to the new chassis, but that isn't guaranteed.

As an aside, I motorised my Wills/SE Finecast Maunsell Q 0-6-0 with a Bachmann 3F chassis, which, while DCC-ready, has the decoder socket in the tender, which was useless to me as is. I had t hard-wire the decoder to the loco chassis, but gained a good runner from that. It may be too much of an "ask" to have the Bachmann chassis fit the Hornby/Dapol body easily.

Newer Hornby 4Fs have locomotive drive chassis with decent motors, and are DCC-ready (8-pin). I think they were moved to the RailRoad range as well, but still aren't particularly cheap to buy. I would guess that the old body would fit readily to the new chassis, but that isn't guaranteed.

As an aside, I motorised my Wills/SE Finecast Maunsell Q 0-6-0 with a Bachmann 3F chassis, which, while DCC-ready, has the decoder socket in the tender, which was useless to me as is. I had t hard-wire the decoder to the loco chassis, but gained a good runner from that. It may be too much of an "ask" to have the Bachmann chassis fit the Hornby/Dapol body easily.

Thanks Jeff, If  I could pick up a cheap railroad 4f I would give it a go.  If I found a Bachmann 4f for a good price I would keep it as is and weather that. Having said that non of these are high on the to do list but its good to know. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Have you tried Bullfrog Snot on locos which don’t like pulling stuff or gradients of any sort?

Hi Rick, Seen it but never used it. The M7 isn't used that often so I am not so bothered. I will sort it one day.

Cheers Peter.

Jeff SRman put me onto the stuff when my M7 slipped with 2 on. That fixed the problem.

Guilty as charged!! :D

Hi Rick, Seen it but never used it. The M7 isn't used that often so I am not so bothered. I will sort it one day.

Cheers Peter.

I have some if you want to try it. Just remind me to bring it along to a suitable meeting. Bring a cocktail stick or toothpick along, and some jumper leads to get the wheels revolving. :)

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Peter.

Peter,

I have some so you can pick it up at the May meeting (My place)

Peter

Hi Peter

Loving the steam stuff especially the 2P piloting the WC/BB! Proper S & D!

Trev :)

Thanks Trev, It's actually a Standard 4 but you are right in thinking it might be a 2P as they where regular pilot loco's. It;s one of two loco's I would like to have run the other being a 9F. 

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Trev, It's actually a Standard 4 but you are right in thinking it might be a 2P as they where regular pilot loco's. It;s one of two loco's I would like to have run the other being a 9F. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

blimey I need new glasses! Either way your photos are still awesome :)

Id like to do a steam layout one day and have 9F's on class 1 turns with "drivers like spinning tops" 

cheers

Hi Peter,

blimey I need new glasses! Either way your photos are still awesome :)

Id like to do a steam layout one day and have 9F's on class 1 turns with "drivers like spinning tops" 

cheers

No Worries Trev, I would like a few more steam loco's a 9F is high on the list. I noticed a new Ivatt tank is now out too so tempting. Thing is I need a few more 7mm wagons before I worry about more 4mm steamers.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan, Don't worry they are all back on, the bin wouldn't be big enough to fit them all in.

Argh...that’s more like it...was getting worried my blue diesels fix had been replaced by kettles :jester:

Edited by bcnPete

To all those I have sent into therapy with my little joke, I apologise.

To all those therapists who have gained a heap of extra customers, I expect my kickbacks very soon. 

:jester:

• Like 1

To all those I have sent into therapy with my little joke, I apologise.

To all those therapists who have gained a heap of extra customers, I expect my kickbacks very soon. 

:jester:

If you get any kickbacks Jeff you have to buy a diesel, though I am sure you wont mind as you like your diesels too. :locomotive: