Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter,

Glad you had a good time back here. 33008 looks great. It’s about the only 33 I can recall seeing up close in all the years I spent during school holidays in the south. It appeared on a charter with a pair of 37’s at the other end on the Ham goods a long time ago. Early 90’s.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, 

33008 was always a bit of a favourite of mine back in the day. Even before it was painted green, so i had to do it. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

What a perfect way to start with a 31! That second photo of it stabled is super.

I came across a photo on Flickr the other day that reminded me of your layout I was searching for images of the RF grey 47 Bachmann announced as I want one and there was an image from around 1985 I think when it had just been painted and was put onto a train along the North Wales Coast with the train loco. Just like those workings you have modelled.

All the best

Mark

Hi Peter,

What a perfect way to start with a 31! That second photo of it stabled is super.

I came across a photo on Flickr the other day that reminded me of your layout I was searching for images of the RF grey 47 Bachmann announced as I want one and there was an image from around 1985 I think when it had just been painted and was put onto a train along the North Wales Coast with the train loco. Just like those workings you have modelled.

All the best

Mark

Thanks Mark, 

I hadn't noticed that Bachmann were doing 47050 but had a quick look at the future releases and there it is. I remember seeing 47050 not long after it had been repainted. I saw it up at Southampton then a few days later it turned up on a Ballast near Sway where i used to live. I was a bit different to later repaints in that the black round the windows is different but still an easy fix, I think most repaints had an orange cantrail stripe too.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-74670400-1548149131_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-95219100-1548149165_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

What was the pathway to ‘002’? It’s always been a favourite; always tidy and smart.

Griff

Hi Griff, I presume you mean the Green class 33 it's actually 33008. It started out as the Heljan 33008 in the later livery with headlight. I picked it up cheap years ago. I removed the headlight and repainted the yellow, and the roof grey as I re profiled the roof over the cabs. The green was pretty much left alone apart from moving the old BR emblem and replacing with double arrows under each cab window. If I was going to do it again I would probably start with a standard Green one. Hope that helps.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Griff, I presume you mean the Green class 33 it's actually 33008. It started out as the Heljan 33008 in the later livery with headlight. I picked it up cheap years ago. I removed the headlight and repainted the yellow, and the roof grey as I re profiled the roof over the cabs. The green was pretty much left alone apart from moving the old BR emblem and replacing with double arrows under each cab window. If I was going to do it again I would probably start with a standard Green one. Hope that helps.

Cheers Peter.

Sorry 008 of course...... thanks.... Wasn’t that the original release before the shoulder (roof to side transition) was sorted? I’ve been wondering bout the current green one (an easier path to a correct roof).... cut still yours still looks very tidy :)

Griff

Sorry 008 of course...... thanks.... Wasn’t that the original release before the shoulder (roof to side transition) was sorted? I’ve been wondering bout the current green one (an easier path to a correct roof).... cut still yours still looks very tidy :)

Griff

No worries Griff, All my 33/0s  are the original release and I have filed and sanded the roofs on all of them to improve them. I would try a current green one I think there is one with full yellow end so it could be done. Though I think the new version has the wrong roof, in that it's riveted, also not sure if the exhaust port is correct. Might be a case of working out what model will be best suited to what you want.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

No worries Griff, All my 33/0s  are the original release and I have filed and sanded the roofs on all of them to improve them. I would try a current green one I think there is one with full yellow end so it could be done. Though I think the new version has the wrong roof, in that it's riveted, also not sure if the exhaust port is correct. Might be a case of working out what model will be best suited to what you want.

Cheers Peter.

Yep.... the exhaust port needs reworking and the associated roof panel needs reworking..... tanks also but I think I’ve a spare somewhere???

Griff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 07/03/2019 at 14:36, saxokid said:

Just had good catch up with your pictures and videos Peter:D

cheers neil..

Thanks Neil, Not a lot happening at the moment. I have been a bit busy with other things though did clean some track the other day and run a few trains when a mate dropped round.

Cheers Peter.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Need some help here guys. I fitted a TTS sound decoder to my Hornby class 31, it tested ok the other week when I did it but after running it the other day it runs for about 30cm then stops then goes for another 30cm and stops again.  Any help would be great, my other class 31 with TTS sound is fine. 

Cheers Peter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Something a bit different on Llanbourne. I recently finished a class 27 which along with my class 26 are the start of a smallish scottish fleet that I am building up so I can run Llanbourne as a scottish terminus. 

Also 20121 & 20169 have been returned to service having been gathering dust under the layout for well over a year.  These two are old Lima models with one running with a Bachmann chassis.

Cheers Peter.

20190320_175322.jpg

20190321_223541.jpg

20190321_180351.jpg

• Like 16

It's odd seeing Scottish locos on Llanbourne - although it is a BR period model and the locos are still blue you nailed the LM Wales theme so well that they look out of place whilst a peak, a 40 or a 25 look perfect.

You've obviously built the theme so well that it's embedded in my mind and I cannot see anything other than North Wales here.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Very nice Peter. The Bedford HA van takes me back to my Scottish Region days...

Takes me back to my Reading/Oxford days in 1975.

Very nice and thanks too.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/03/2019 at 22:36, St Enodoc said:

Very nice Peter. The Bedford HA van takes me back to my Scottish Region days...

Thanks John, I think some of the Scottish HAs had the Scotrail logo on the side.

Cheers Peter.