Metropolitan 4TC's

Hi folks,

this is a dual purpose thread:

Firstly, despite the fact i have researched the units on a well known encyclopedia site, there is still limited history on the units used by the Metropolitan railway/london transport.

What were the workings of these units? anything special in particular? (in mind they did operate on 'excusions')

Also, i don't think Electra do the Vinyls for these particular units, but is there someone who does?

Here's a picture of reference for the unit livery.

gallery_8193_945_3398108.jpg

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Gold

I do the TC in N in the earlier Metropolitan red livery with the scarlet ends but I haven't had the courage to attempt the Teak Vinyl version as yet.

Looking at the picture, it's actually quite tempting, if only for the sheer "Aargh!!" factor laugh.gif

I'll have to see if I can generate a convincing Teak veneer effect and I'll have a go if anyone's interested.

I do the TC in N in the earlier Metropolitan red livery with the scarlet ends but I haven't had the courage to attempt the Teak Vinyl version as yet.

Looking at the picture, it's actually quite tempting, if only for the sheer "Aargh!!" factor laugh.gif

I'll have to see if I can generate a convincing Teak veneer effect and I'll have a go if anyone's interested.

ah i forgot about about the red ones...

i may be in touch Adam, when my guitar stops robbing my wallet, lol....

thanks Mozzer, will check that out. :)

Guest Phil

Do you reckon the Brighton Belle lot could get away with doing that to (42)1881. It'd save em hundreds of thousands of pounds wouldn't it ?

No ?

Ok then :rolleyes:

The TC's were bough by London Transport when the units were phased out from BR service purely to use as Special LHCS (Loco Hauled Coaching Stock). Generally they operate sandwiched between LU's Class 20 they seem to borrow on such occasions and Met No.12 Sarah Siddons; although in the old days of "Steam on the Met" it was sandwiched between a Steam Loco and No.12 - No.12 can provide traction power and supply air for the braking system hence her use usually. When the TC isn't in service it is usually kept with Sarah in Ruislip Depot on the Central Line. LT originally bought two TC sets - I do believe one was sold on but not sure if it was for preservation or scrap i' m afraid.

Sarah Siddons is a very special lady being the last operational member of her class built in 1920. So its only fitting in the absense of any real Metropolitan carriages that the TC carries an approximation of the old Met Rly varnished teak livery. smile.gif Met No.5 John Hampden is stuffed & mounted in the London Transport Museum, No.5 is the other surviving member of the class.

Cheers,

~ Matloughe

LT originally bought two TC sets - I do believe one was sold on but not sure if it was for preservation or scrap i' m afraid.

LT bought 8 coaches. Two sets were formed, DTSO 76298 - TBSK 70823 - DTSO 76322 and DTSO 76297 - TBSK 70824 - TFK 71163 - DTSO 76324, with TFK 70855 a separate support coach. The LT maroon set numbered 413 (actually formed by coaches from four different sets) was sold for preservation and is now at the Midland Railway Butterley. I understand it's eventually going to Swanage.

BTW, how far has Miss Siddons ventured since being modified to run in third rail territory?

BTW2, was it one of the LT sets hired to Silverlink about 10 years ago?

Cheers

David

• RMweb Gold

I've had a go and it's not looking too bad. I've actually created the Teak background as a bitmap, exported from the vector program and suitably airbrushed, smoothed and randomised. It's starting to grow on me...

post-7123-127472754979.jpg

Yes, the lining does need quite a lot of work....it's a first draft! cool.gif

Archived