Limited Edition modifications

AMJ

With all of the talk of the LMS twins Truro and other items that have/are being done as exlusives for certain retaillers makes me wonder what else we are likely to see in the future.

As the 08 has had the mods to have the external and internal hinges makes me think that using the mechanicals (often the most expensive part of the tooling) it would be feasible to do the similar LNER, GWR, LMS (class 11), SR (class 12 - BoxPox wheels) and the various different power plants installed in similar body. I suspect that the twins are going to use the Peak mechanicals.

I have not got one of the Murphy Models 141's but they probably use a similar chassis as the class 20.

It depends on demand, and perceaved demand by the manufacturers. I'm still waiting for a class 13 to appear. I have to say that at the moment I'm amazed by the opening of the floodgates to models that I didn't think I would see in RTR form. City of Truro didn't surprise me, but the class 28, class 15 and class 53 certainly did. The LMS twins are also something that I would have thought would be a high-risk release. However, there must be enough of a perceived demand to justify them or else releasing them would not be being attempted.

I suspect that the twins are going to use the Peak mechanicals.

Although I imagine that the twins chassis will follow Bachmann's style of chassis, I doubt they'll reuse many parts from existings models. The Peak bogies are slightly different wheelbase to the Twins and I'm very doubtful that Bachmann would include an error for the cost benefit of not tooling up an extra bogie. Besides the bogie sideframes are completely different between the two and they'd have to lose the leading axle as well.

Pix

I suspect that the twins are going to use the Peak mechanicals.

Do we think so? If they come out with that many wheels, it's not just the rivet-counters who'll have apoplexy wink.gif

It would be daft for Bachmann to muck up a special edition by just doing such a thing surely.....

It would rather defeat the object of it being "special" :huh:

• RMweb Gold

I think it's mixture of period modelling, nosatalgia, a wish for 'something different', a wish for 'something new every year so I must have it', collectors, and a wish to have a model of something which might never have been seen in real life by the purchaser.

Nothing wrong with any of those, a simple matter of each to his/her own. But the good thing for many of us is that the combination of them all helps bring to the marketplace things which would otherwise be ignored as 'too risky' or 'limited market and not worth the investment'.

Where might it lead? That's a more awkward one to answer as it could in some respects damage the market for the two 'mass market' manufacturers although at least one of them is getting into the 'commissioned' area as well of course.

And yes I do know what I would like to see and also what I am likely or not likely to buy, but then I'm not putting up the money or carrying the risk so the choice doesn't lie in my hands.

I'd guess that if the wheelbase is the same, other 0-6-0 shunters could be done using the Bachmann (or Hornby) 08/09 chassis (probably only the mechanism and chassis block - my guess is that sideframes would be different profiles - but I have no knowledge of such things).

Agree 100% that models need to be done properly - the days of using common tender and loco chassis with a different body (i.e. Hornby 1980s 4-4-0s) are long gone, and such models would generate rumblings, and likely poor sales to the more discerning end of the spectrum.

The only compromise I can think of that appears to be working is the Model Rail class 107, BUT this was a small run, and only a coat of paint. If (and its not sold out yet), it is a problem seller, its not a disaster. But if you've developed a compromise model with 50-60% new tooling, and it doens't sell, oh dear....!

On another track, its interesting to chart the development of the limited edition market. Traditionally, annual limited editions were produced (by Hornby and Bachmann), with occasional special or limited editions by retailers. Then around the turn of the century the trend of retailers, magazines, societies clubs etc started, with a focus on Bachmann and Dapol for wagons etc... The 'Annual' limited edition loco by the major manufacturers appears to be a think of the past. Hornby now have several limited editions in their catalogue each year (e.g C'wealth collection, waterman collection, Scotsman version X.X, no D&E though), and Bachmann appear to have all but given up with general limited releases, focusing on the Collectors Club which seems to be one or two a year.

Now over the last 3 years a new trend has emerged of whole models being commissioned. Would I be right in thinking Murphy Models 141 was the start of this, followed by the Deltic. Its almost as if Limited Editions of standard releases are now nothing special, and whole new models are needed for the WOW factor. On the other hand it indicates a certain health and maturity of the industry, which is good.

In terms of subjects, we've seen locos, then units (with Kernow's comissions, and now OT's B*** P******), and now coaches (Murphy Irish stock, LMS BGZ, Mk1 TPO), as well as buildings (a few Skaledale models).

... As the 08 has had the mods to have the external and internal hinges makes me think that using the mechanicals (often the most expensive part of the tooling) it would be feasible to do the similar LNER, GWR, LMS (class 11), SR (class 12 - BoxPox wheels) and the various different power plants installed in similar body. I suspect that the twins are going to use the Peak mechanicals.

I have not got one of the Murphy Models 141's but they probably use a similar chassis as the class 20.

If you line up the bogie chassis in Bachmann's OO offerings, the first thing that strikes you is the uniformity of the component layout. (One exception I am aware of, the Warship has a somewhat different - original Mainline? - design.) Kader clearly have a stock design layout, which I would imagine is loaded on a CAD suite; assuming that is so, it will be able to rough out a drive package for any set of dimensions quickly and cheaply, which means there is no need to 'make do' with a near enough chassis. As an example, DP1 has slightly different chassis dimensions to a production Deltic: Bachmann didn't use their existing production Deltic chassis in the DP1 model, it has an all-new dimensionally correct tooling. I have not looked at so many Heljan and Hornby chassis, but each of these makers centre motor designs are similarly generic designs, varied appropriately for the dimensions of the prototype they are to power.

Far more of the cost in a new model is in the tooling of the visible bodywork, as that still demands significant skilled tool maker's time. I know many people will find this hard to swallow, but the class 28 requiring two different bogies will be a significantly more expensive production job in this respect than a typical twin bogie type which only requires a tooling of a single bogie design.

I think it's mixture of period modelling, nosatalgia, a wish for 'something different', a wish for 'something new every year so I must have it', collectors, and a wish to have a model of something which might never have been seen in real life by the purchaser.

Nothing wrong with any of those, a simple matter of each to his/her own. But the good thing for many of us is that the combination of them all helps bring to the marketplace things which would otherwise be ignored as 'too risky' or 'limited market and not worth the investment'.

Where might it lead? That's a more awkward one to answer as it could in some respects damage the market for the two 'mass market' manufacturers although at least one of them is getting into the 'commissioned' area as well of course.

And yes I do know what I would like to see and also what I am likely or not likely to buy, but then I'm not putting up the money or carrying the risk so the choice doesn't lie in my hands.

I think there's a lot in what you're saying- Certainly, I bought Heljan's two birds of prey and the NRM DP1, all of which are light years outside my main modelling interests, largely for those reason- they're prototypes that interested me, that I'd never seen in real life (other than Deltic when she was in the Science Museum), and that give me something a bit different different to run on club running nights or open days. I guess I also fall into the collector camp as well, (diecasts rather than railways), which makes me particularly susceptible to limited edition 'shiny things', though any of the railway limited editions I buy are bought with the intention of running them. The LMS twins are a slightly different case for me, as I'm mainly an LMS modeller, they're a particularly welcome arrival

• RMweb Gold

It would be daft for Bachmann to muck up a special edition by just doing such a thing surely.....

It would rather defeat the object of it being "special" :huh:

Not to mention the manufacturers have said umpteen times before when people ask about unpowered models, that the chassis / mechanism is a small proportion of the overall cost of a model.

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance someone will commission DP2 from Bachmann? There must be some, if not all, chassis parts in common with the production Deltics, & relatively minor mods to the body. 2 (or 3?) liveries done as pristine/ weathered/ (post-Thirsk!) condition. Ran extensively on WCML & ECML so a reasonable geographic spread. I'd have one! There's a pic of it in plain green with small yellow panel at St Annes on Sea in one of my books, so that's good enough for me.

• RMweb Premium

The DP2 body shell was based on the Deltic in that it is the same shape but they are far from identical. Radiator grilles in the body side not dissimilar to the Class 50, cant rail grills as well and that is before we get to the subject of the roof. It would need a complete new tooling for the body shell but yes it could be done.

I'd certainly not want to put a bet on which manufacturer would be producing a DP2. It's very much within Heljan's modus operendi and both Bachmann and Hornby have chassis and bogies that could be reused with minor modifications. The only thing I could accurately predict is that some people would be disappointed if it were Heljan, suprised if it were Hornby and very critical of Bachmann if it's not as good as DP1 despite the lack of a prototype to scan...

Archived