Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Coming Out/being outed

Several of my fellow Royal Marines were into modeling of various genres.

The long winter deployments in Norway would usually involve taking a kit of some sort, the unit Armourer allowing access to his workshop (American Marine/Navy  aircraft in 1/48) where wheels could be turned, flywheels made etc.

One of the others, used to take whatever RC boat (usually a Billings kit) he was working on and there were several Military Modelers as well.

During one deployment we were joined by an individual who was in charge of a Special Forces Unit, and on return to Blighty I would often see him at Railway shows!

I ended up knowing several Railway Modelling RM's in the various Commando units I served in, and there are a few on here.

Never had anyone take the p*ss, but then I don't suppose I would.....would I? :hunter:  :jester: 

I knew of a railway model shop with a pub next door. Wives would come into the railway shop and complain of how much money their husbands spent on their hobby of model railways. The proprietor would say to these females 'well they can always go next door and pour their wages down their throats. At least buying from here they have something to show where their hard earned money is going. Next door all they have to show for their splurge of money is a raging hangover and a sleep with snoring to wake everyone up". 

• RMweb Gold

Everyone needs a release mechanism.

You will find the heavier/harder the work, the more refined the pastime. One of my foundry chemists researched ancient Byzantine military history. Another, was a musician. A very high percentage were serious fishermen. Although I've never fished, I 'get' the understanding. As an aside, I used to make all of the hardware for my lads, rod stands, lead weights etc. There was a high degree of creativity amongst my work colleagues. Chess, artistry, philately, classic cars, the list was extensive.

After a while, people were pretty much non-judgemental. After all, everybody understood everybody else. It was easier coming to work, because of the social element. I never disclosed my model railway activities, because there was always something else going on. I was just an individual, amongst an even larger collection of individuals.

Cheers,

Ian.

In my other life, I worked in a large scientific department. A few people knew of my interests. At a Christmas ‘do’ one year the raffle was being drawn, and my name called. I didn’t hear it first time but one wag shouted “he’s at home playing with his trains”. As I walked down the room to collect my prize, I said “ cheeky bu&&er we don’t play trains, we operate”.

After that, one or two of the staff talked to me about my interest and my railway and expressed a wish to see it. But no one made fun of my hobby.

Quite alot of my friends don't know I'm into model railways ..then again not alot know I'm an obsessive gardener and play chess every moment I get.

Primarily because they don't ask ..or are plainly not interested. Which is fine by me. Fine because two of 'em play golf, another is a football fanatic (yeah imagine - ye gods!), one is the oldest video gamer I know and another is into triathlons (why???)... but despite that we get on famous.

My "railways mates" aren't really bothered of course because the topic of wether we are all nerdy never comes up.

I used to be quite an active plane spotter in the past - now if you think the railway enthusiast community is filled with oddity (which, lets be honest, it is) - you might want to try hanging out beside the runway of your local airport occasionally - you meet some very interesting people!

- you might want to try hanging out beside the runway of your local airport occasionally - you meet some very interesting people!

Talking to an old mate who was manning a model railway shop stand at an exhibition countless years ago, I said ' the trouble with railways as a hobby is the rather large 'nutter' element', his reply was ' you aint mixed with the bus people then ??? '

• RMweb Gold

I never used to hide my hobby at work, but on the other hand I rarely offered up information about it either, unless I knew that the other person was also interested.

Having worked in the rail industry for almost 35 years prior to retirement, there was definitely a 'disapproving element' in years gone by, but in more recent times, that hasn't been such an issue.

What always used to amuse me, was to encounter some (very) senior figures from the rail industry (Network Rail, TOCs etc.) at model railway exhibitions. There'd be that look of recognition when they first saw me and you could then almost see the cogs working furiously as they strove to invent a plausible excuse for their presence at the show, 'just showing my lad around', or 'my wife wanted to come to the town, so I thought I'd pop in while she's shopping', or (more commonly and refreshingly), 'I didn't realise you were also into this. What's your area of interest? I'm into Class 37s/the Lynton & Barnstaple in 009/the Somerset & Dorset/the Great Western in the 1930s/etc./etc./etc.'

I suspect many people can relate to this tale but when I first started on the railway, I went to great lengths to keep my dirty little secret intact.

I don't really know why now, but perhaps it was perceived embarrassment regarding the stereotyped association with smelly anoraks and so on.

Then one day I was caught red handed by one of the Lime St T&RS fitters, taking photos of class 86s on the block ends.

To my surprise he didn't take the psss, that was something of an emancipation because ever since that time I've gone about my cranking business at work and to hell what any detractors might say.

Best bit is, once you're "out and proud" you tend to find that other staff who are interested in railways, reciprocate accordingly.

When I transferred to the Bakerloo line from the Picc, my new boss was chatting to me about football. "Sorry" I said, "but I have no interest in football". "Oh, what are you interested in then?". "Heritage Railways" I replied. To which he responded "Well, you're working on one now" He was highly delighted with this witticism, and as a few of my new colleagues were listening, they all got to know about my interest. I never got any stick over it, but they did insist on trying to get me interested in football. (to no avail)

In my younger days, I was mad on some sports, namely cricket, tennis, table tennis and badminton, then, by accident, discovered English folk dancing. When I told people what I was doing, I got the replies,

“oh yes, we did that in infants class at school”. or

“do you jig around in a white outfit with bells on your shoes”

My answer was no I am not a Morris Man, and our dancing is a bit more involved than six year olds.

Some members of our model railway club took the mick about my dancing.

So the moral is, people do not understand any hobby that does not involve football or similar and so tend to make fun, so we just get on with it and to hell with any mockery. My wife and I were dancing three or sometimes four evenings a week for over thirty years, that is until I developed cranky joints. It did keep us fit and we made some great friends from all over the country. It was fun, just like this great hobby of ours should be.

• RMweb Premium

I met the master tank gunner of the Swiss Army on a defence related trip. He was a bit quiet at first but I mentioned railway modelling. Glad to say we got on famously after that ..He had a very nice British outline n gauge layout in his home in Thin. No one ever laughed at his love for railway modelling!

Baz

• RMweb Premium

I met the master tank gunner of the Swiss Army on a defence related trip. He was a bit quiet at first but I mentioned railway modelling. Glad to say we got on famously after that ..He had a very nice British outline n gauge layout in his home in Thin. No one ever laughed at his love for railway modelling!

Baz

"Do you want to come back to my place and see my tank?"

:no:

• RMweb Premium

"Do you want to come back to my place and see my tank?"

:no:

He had a fine collection of guns in his flat including a Kluger, a Sten gun, Lee Enfield. 303 rifles plus his Swiss Army firearms. Never annoy anyone anyone's from Switzerland.

Like Captain Kernow and E3109, I did not explicitly reveal my interest in railways, and models of trains, when I worked on the railway. However, after a while it became obvious that quite a few of my colleagues were also enthusiasts, to varying degrees, from their knowledge of, and interest in, what was happening. And for anyone who ever takes the mickey out of enthusiast rail staff, I would ask why would anyone want to do a job, for possibly up to 40 years of their life, in which they had no interest ?

• RMweb Premium

Like Captain Kernow and E3109, I did not explicitly reveal my interest in railways, and models of trains, when I worked on the railway. However, after a while it became obvious that quite a few of my colleagues were also enthusiasts, to varying degrees, from their knowledge of, and interest in, what was happening. And for anyone who ever takes the mickey out of enthusiast rail staff, I would ask why would anyone want to do a job, for possibly up to 40 years of their life, in which they had no interest ?

And Ive always found, that no matter how tricky your new job at first appears, being interested in the industry made it easier to get your head around it.

When I transferred to the Bakerloo line from the Picc, my new boss was chatting to me about football. "Sorry" I said, "but I have no interest in football". "Oh, what are you interested in then?". "Heritage Railways" I replied. To which he responded "Well, you're working on one now" He was highly delighted with this witticism, and as a few of my new colleagues were listening, they all got to know about my interest. I never got any stick over it, but they did insist on trying to get me interested in football. (to no avail)

I have to admit, interesting as working in new traction motors for EMUs could be at times, spending a week in an open plan office surrounded by nasal Brummie voices droning on about “Wist Brom” and “Villa” was one of its lesser delights..

Anyone who has worked with any of the military forces (stand fast the RAF) knows that you need to be able to hold your own. A couple of years ago one of my supervisors was leaving the commando circuit to go to university and start a new career whilst setting up a business doing wedding photography. Tasked with organising his leaving do, I took the entire group of engineers on the WSR from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead for the day.

We all turned up in fancy dress as spotters (must admit the two women caught a few looks in their short skirts, pigtails and secretary style tops and glasses.... not to mention full fighting order or the fact that the guest of honour was made to wear a Ballerina Hippo costume. After a personal demonstration by the locomotive crew, much to the annoyance and envy of the 'serious enthusiasts' we started our days event.

In true fashion we drank the train bar dry on the outward trip and on the return trip, having previously requested a hearty restock, we drank it dry again. Considering that some of the under 30's initially thought trains were for anoraks, they spent most of the return journey with their heads out the window relishing the atmosphere and were eager to 'do it again'.

After recounting their experiences the following morning in the crew room to their 'oppos' we were suddenly made aware that we were the talk of the unit... and the envy for getting the day off whilst still counted as works time.

Basically,No I'm not ashamed to admit my interest in railways (real or model)..... some colleagues find it unusual knowing I used to build hot rods and rode an 1800cc chopper, what I do find difficult to admit though, is to also enjoy collecting and painting wargaming figures.

My wife always drops sarcastic comments such as 'choo choo'...... but then again she does cross stitch and loves the 'Tudors and Stuarts'.... 'Pot calling Kettle' anyone?........Off with her head I say. 

I wouldn't know what effect modelling has on a heterosexual relationship dynamic, but I've never been shy or secretive about my interests and have frequently been pleasantly surprised by the amount of other gay people I've met who are also into trains and aviation etc =) my boyfriend has fully embraced the hobby and enjoys the scenics side of it, although I regularly get an eye roll and a "more trains..." when pre orders arrive :P

G'Day Folks

I found it a positive boon, telling train drivers you like model trains and are a railway enthusiast when your working with them, they open up about there memories of working on the footplate and there escapades, all very interesting, a know you enjoy the job, it was a case, 'Oh, you have a drive' it may have been 'only' ECS to Hornsey, but it felt great.

manna

Having no sense of limit - Any old gauge will do from any country old or new.

Railways, trams, underground, diesel or steam or pantograph.. etc

And I have no problem explaining any of this compound madness to anyone if asked....

Recently no one has asked..

Then there are those who mistakenly ask me what I do for a living..

And as what I do for a living is done only by a vanishingly small number of people..

It is impossible to explain what I do as no one has any reference..

So although I would have no problem telling anyone -

It is actually impossible to do so..

Also..

And it seem that some sort of ghost lives in some people that cannot abide the unknown and rushes to fill their void should the unknown ever confront them.

And I think this is the problem we all face as modelers, what we do is unknown to many.

And some of the many seem to find that to be offensive in some way..

But every now and then you meet someone who is open and genuinely interested and it can be very rewarding....

Surely having the mick taken or being chastised for your hobby is pretty much common in all walks of life and for many pasttimes, not just railway modelling. And to some extent that is understandable from those who do not understand or appreciate. They and their comments are simply ignorant.

But what is more galling are the snide comments, sarcasm and personal jibes from those within the hobby. Shame on those who perpetrate them.

G

• RMweb Gold

I agree Grahame. I find it particularly annoying when people on this very forum refer to model railways as toys.

This usually happens in threads that are discussing some finer points of a model.

Edit for typo

I personally think toy is a very valid description.

An object for a child to play with, typically a model or miniature replica of something.

​But also

An object, especially a gadget or machine, regarded as providing amusement for an adult.

​From the OED. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/toy

Jason

Archived