Exley

random

Here is what I call an unusual Exley coach although some of you may be able to tell me otherwise.  The Blood and Custard liveries are quite rare as such and I was lucky enough to obtain 6 last year to go along with 2 others I had.  All of those have been painted on the Stanier shell vehicle with the roof cross ribs pressed in and only 4 doors at the ends.  Here the livery has been applied to the SR style shell that has the curved full length rib (LNER similar?) with a door near the middle on each side as opposed to just the ends. Strangely it still has an M number. This coach has not been dismantled to be cleaned as is my usual procedure as it seemed to good to strip for now, it has just had a wipe over and I may use a small paintbrush to clean the windows.

Garry

post-22530-0-41772500-1492746319_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-46284600-1492746328_thumb.jpg

Edited by Golden Fleece 30
  • Like 6

• 1 year later...

Here is hoping someone may be able to give me some advice.........I have at present a 00 gauge Exley portsmouth set which is three rail....it is a 2 coach set, one powered one non powered,.....the motor still runs quite well for its age without taking it apart, a good friend of mine has offered to convert it to 2 rail running, the question is how would be the best way of doing it......1) taking the motor out and replacing the wheels and pick ups to run on 2 rail or 2) perhaps replacing the motor unit with a suitable modern unit ie. Bachmann or Hornby etc........has anyone attempted this conversion, I am open to suggestions even if it means leave well alone and leave it 3 rail.....Dave Brighty.......

Here is hoping someone may be able to give me some advice.........I have at present a 00 gauge Exley portsmouth set which is three rail....it is a 2 coach set, one powered one non powered,.....the motor still runs quite well for its age without taking it apart, a good friend of mine has offered to convert it to 2 rail running, the question is how would be the best way of doing it......1) taking the motor out and replacing the wheels and pick ups to run on 2 rail or 2) perhaps replacing the motor unit with a suitable modern unit ie. Bachmann or Hornby etc........has anyone attempted this conversion, I am open to suggestions even if it means leave well alone and leave it 3 rail.....Dave Brighty.......

Hi Dave,

My own thoughts on this is to see if you can make up another floor/chassis base to use a more modern motor and therefore keep the Exley one intact.  Mine was a 3-rail set with extended arms to pick -up from an outside rail, all I did was put a centre collector on.   Here is mine.

Garry

• Like 7

No idea who's motor bogie it was but this is it.

Garry

A collector's item in its own right.  Love the adjustable thrust bearings at each end - but shouldn't there be a grub screw on the left hand worm gear?

A collector's item in its own right.  Love the adjustable thrust bearings at each end - but shouldn't there be a grub screw on the left hand worm gear?

Well spotted, I would have thought yes but no idea if there is one on the opposite side.  If not then the worm is a tight fit and revolves as otherwise the wheel would not turn.

Garry

I'd make a new mechanism with something more robust (there's a Tri-ang EMU bogie on eBay at the moment  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIANG-MOTOR-BOGIE-FOR-EMU/382622212201?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 though it finishes soon) and keep the original somewhere safe.

• 8 months later...

I have an Exley 00 LMS 6-wheel corridor passenger brake, usually known as a 'Stove'. It's a bit worse for wear in particular the metal sides/roof/side wrap are detaching from the chassis and the glazing strip on one side has detached within the body. Although I'm a reasonably skilled scratch builder I could do it more harm than good so I'd like to get it professionally restored but don't know who to contact. Any recommendations please? I believe in recent times Edward Exley offered a repair and restoration service but that has since been discontinued.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I am not sure if I should try to resurrect this old thread, but here goes anyhow. I have the opportunity to buy an elderly Exley for my O gauge project, and the coach is in very nice condition, except - some of the compartment divisions and seats have come loose and are rattling around inside. So - my question is, how difficult would it be to get inside this coach to sort out the seats and interior? I know that Exley roofs are all in one piece with the body sides, so that you can't just whip the roof off.

The coach is an O gauge Exley K5, non-corridor, 50 foot suburban LMS type. Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

John

To get inside a Exley coach  you have to prye loose three pins at each end. One in the roof and one at each bottom side. I never succeeded to do this without some minor damage to the (black) paint which has to be worked on a little after refastening.

Regards

Fred

• Thanks 1