Question About Peter North's Layouts

JWB

I'm not sure if I would call it "strictly prototype", as he doesn't appear to be a "prototype modeler" in the sense of "I'm modeling the Rock Island on September 24, 1957, and while I really like the xyz boxcars in the 123456 series, they weren't delivered until October of that year, so I don't have them on my layout." There are lots and lots of those guys out there, but I don't think he's one of them. He's after an overall feel and making essentially artistic decisions. It's sort of like the Vermeer painting where it suited the artist to screw up the perspective such that if you really looked at the edge of a table, there'd be a jog in it where you'd want it actually to be straight. Or, one of my favorite examples, the artist and pioneer model railroader F.L.Jaques, who was interested in getting the overall shape of birds right, when other nature artists were dwelling on whether the individual feathers were properly painted.

Typically, the Florence article is one I haven't got either.. sad.gif (as well as Rosa.)

However Peter has missed out Maria, Illinois which was in the November 2002 CM. wink.gif

A welcome in advance to Peter as & when he joins RMweb!!! biggrin.gif

Florence, Iowa appeared in November 1995 CM

I've been an admirer of Peter North's layouts since Hope, Illinois appeared in 1991. Over the years I have been inspired to build end to end versions of his layouts in a 9ft x 1ft 6ins space.

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Florence, Iowa appeared in November 1995 CM

I've been an admirer of Peter North's layouts since Hope, Illinois appeared in 1991. Over the years I have been inspired to build end to end versions of his layouts in a 9ft x 1ft 6ins space.

Mal

As have I, in N, end-to-end in a 7ft by 1ft 9in area. Very much work in progress so far as the image below shows. The Rock has a lot of potential, you've got to love a railroad that seemed to buy one of almost every diesel made, just like us modellers.

Mark.

post-7249-127842338394.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure if I would call it "strictly prototype" SNIP He's after an overall feel and making essentially artistic decisions.

I think that's fair - his layouts exuded real atmosphere (not unconnected to his clever use of sound) and were full of excellent detail, drawing you into the tiny Midwest towns that he depicted so cleverly. But his Rock Island F2s had dynamic brake vents, and the Rock Island never bought a new loco with dynamics! So he made the best of the trains with what the market offered, and accepted the flaws of the product as trivial in the scheme of the layout as a whole. Some of us count rivets, others don't, and I offer no opinion about who has more fun!

• RMweb Gold

The Rock has a lot of potential, you've got to love a railroad that seemed to buy one of almost every diesel made, just like us modellers.

In modelling terms, I've heard that referred to as the "Half-Noah Principle"! The Rock's diesel fleet was surely one of the most exotic in the US, with passenger locos from E3 and DL103B to E8, yet no PAs. Switcher models came from every known catalogue, including some unique specimens like the Giant Davenports. A joy to model, with several distinctive liveries - and multiple variations as cost implications of each sank in and they were simplified.

For all the "why don't they make xyz" talk on many forums, I've never heard anyone suggest a conversion kit for EMD re-engined Alcos and Baldwins. The Rock Island had its RS-2s rebuilt this way; Katy had RS-3s and Baldwins; Frisco had RS-3s. And lines like the Katy had nearly as much character of their own as the Rock Island.

For that matter, the Rock Island and the Katy had EMD re-engined FA-1s, though the Katy version had more extensive changes.

• RMweb Gold

The Rock has been gnawing at me as well lately - perhaps it's down to Peter's layouts, but I also love the blue white paint scheme. I recently ordered a book from SPV, with the thought of getting some inspiration towards maybe building a Rock-based micro-layout, something to scratch that Mid-western itch.

• RMweb Gold

For all the "why don't they make xyz" talk on many forums, I've never heard anyone suggest a conversion kit for EMD re-engined Alcos and Baldwins. The Rock Island had its RS-2s rebuilt this way; Katy had RS-3s and Baldwins; Frisco had RS-3s. And lines like the Katy had nearly as much character of their own as the Rock Island.

For that matter, the Rock Island and the Katy had EMD re-engined FA-1s, though the Katy version had more extensive changes.

I think the Rock's most famous transplant would be 621 "Christine" - their only DL109, and re-engined in the '50s with EMD 567s. She was nicknamed after Christine Jorgensen, the world's first beneficiary of a sex-change operation!

Speaking of "The Rock" , if you get a chance , watch "The Rock Island Line" DVD , available from SPV and all the usual stockists.

Lots of footage of E units trundling along some rickety lines with short passenger trains - quite inspirational stuff and easily modelled.

Re. Maria...

I have just been talking to the present owner of Maria (no longer Nigel Kitchener), and can confirm that it is very much still up and running as a "home"layout,but will probably not be doing anymore shows for the foreseeable future. :(

Regards Trevor ... :D

• 4 years later...

Hi ,there, sorry to revive an old thread.. but i came across this whilst doing some research. I saw Maria Illinois at a show , a good few years back, and was immediately inspired . The pics on here are great, but does anyone have a layout plan.. I remembered thinking it was a very clever use of space.

Best Regards

Dean

• RMweb Premium

Peter asked me to post this reply as he's having MAC-related problems trying to sign in.

"Thanks to everyone showing an interest in my little layouts, which

have been fun to build over the years. If it helps the publication

dates of the various CMs are:

Hope, Illinois (RI) June 1991

Foster, Illinois (RI) Jan 1994

Florence, Iowa (RI) - sorry, I've no copy of the magazine

Rosa, Illinois (GM&O) Oct 2006

Godinez, Iowa (RI) Jul 2008

Ah... Hope, Illinois. Lovely layout which I saw at a show in the early 1990s. Quite simple, but beautifully done and well operated. That layout was the primary reason I started modelling US railroads. I'll have to track down those copies of CM for my library.

• 3 years later...

Came across this very old thread by chance - I have "Florence" -  really should be putting it up for sale but would leave a stash of RI materiel looking for a home!

I have a collection of Rock Island stuff and I'm looking for a layout!

Gerry

• 2 months later...

I have a collection of Rock Island stuff and I'm looking for a layout!

Gerry

Gerry - perhaps we should get together! Florence is really in the way now - she needs a little TLC - a crossing buck needs replacing and a tele]graph pole snapped but I have replacement for that, at least. I am in Kent - Headcorn.

Gerry - perhaps we should get together! Florence is really in the way now - she needs a little TLC - a crossing buck needs replacing and a tele]graph pole snapped but I have replacement for that, at least. I am in Kent - Headcorn.

Further to above, Florence pics attached - I hope.

Layout has a built-in Soundtraxx system offering many combinations of loco sounds - horn, bell, load, turbo, air dump all controllable (If I could remember how - I do have the instruction book). Tortoise point motors. Looks like code 75 on scenic side, Peco 100 behind the scenes. Kadee uncoupler to allow setting out caboose, backing hoppers under store, coupling up and moving off, theoretically before the three track fusees go out behind.

Built to fit into a Fiat Panda originally, I modified it for better continuity across the joins, and motorised the Peco points in the fiddle yard. Because of tight curves, works best with 40' cars, small switchers or GP's as motive power.

post-11854-0-09432800-1523026451.jpg

post-11854-0-67739500-1523026464.jpg

post-11854-0-85363500-1523026473.jpg

post-11854-0-11014000-1523026494.jpg

post-11854-0-83617400-1523026513.jpg

post-11854-0-12593300-1523026525.jpg

post-11854-0-97034900-1523026542.jpg

post-11854-0-16283500-1523026554.jpg

Stewart Hobbies did some very nice F2s in Rock Island colours, with divine Kato mechs. Sadly they had dynamic brake vents, but Peter North wasn’t too bothered by that.

Got a couple, painted by Baz Covill - as far as I remember they don't have dynamic brakes on the roof - must look sometime. Only an old Frateschi FA-1 repaint still sports them - bought when I was a beginner!

Archived