Templot - user reports

martin_wynne

• RMweb Gold

Templot - user reports

by martin_wynne

original page on Old RMweb

Comment posted by Gordon S on S on Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:07 am

Glad to see you as a RMWeb sponsor Martin. icon_clap.gif

As a very satisfied user of Templot, I'm happy to give an unsolicited recommendation for Templot to anyone who wishes to plan their layout on a computer programme and then build their own pointwork / track to suit. The programme is suitable for virtually any gauge of track and carries an extensive list of options based on prototypical design. Being able to plan the whole layout and then print individual templates if required has proven invaluable. Once completed plans can be printed on roll paper to available paper size. I have just had my complete terminus plan printed onto one sheet of paper 18' long and 3' wide...

Excellent support from Martin and the Templot user forum is knowledgeable and well supported. Happy to give a big icon_thumbsup2.gif

Comment posted by 10800 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:02 am

Hear hear to that from me too icon_clap.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif

file.php?id=8142

Comment posted by Horsetan on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:36 am

Gordon S wrote:

.....complete terminus plan printed onto one sheet of paper 18' long and 3' wide...

icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif

Comment posted by Gordon S on S on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:02 am

Yup! Laid out on the floor here...http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17784&p=277226&hilit=eastwood#p277226

Comment posted by 10800 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:50 am

Horsetan wrote:

Gordon S wrote:

.....complete terminus plan printed onto one sheet of paper 18' long and 3' wide...

icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif

Nothing shocking Ivan - we have Eridge (25ft - mine's longer than yours Gordon, na na nana na icon_winker.gif icon_razz.gif ) done the same way. Export to DXF, take to local graphics emporium, or in our case make use of friendly AG member who runs an architectural design consultancy and has a brand new roll plotter.

file.php?id=8145

Comment posted by mines a pint on Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:12 am

I got Templot, last birthday- my wife and I always ask what each other actually wants for pressies! icon_eek.gif

That was November, like any new program it takes a little getting used to:

but you can

- do simple turnout templates straight off

- make up simple trackplans

when you learn to put the 'background' in - ie a trackplan to 'trace over', loads of new possibilities occur.

making 3-way and slip templates is a little more 'involved' but not impossible.

the support from both Martin (the author) and other Templot users is outstanding, also Templot files can be emailed to/from other Templot users and edited in much the same way as you would a 'WORD' document.

Worth every penny! icon_thumbsup2.gif

??? posted on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:43 am

Many thanks for the kind words about Templot.

I'm glad that many RMwebbers are finding Templot a useful aid to railway modelling. You are very welcome to post comments and reports about your use of Templot in this topic.

But may I gently point out that this "Templot" forum on RMweb is part of the paid-for "Shop Window" advertising section. Please don't post general RMweb member's banter here, there are plenty of other places on RMweb for that! icon_smile.gif .

RMweb readers will be coming here to learn about Templot, so I've removed a couple of posts which didn't add anything to the subject. I also removed a flashing image which was very distracting to the reader. Thanks for your understanding.

Martin.

Comment posted by downendian on Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:47 am

Original post and reply moved to: viewtopic.php?p=335095#p335095

Comment posted by Pixie on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:49 am

Just wanted to add my thumbs up for Templot - Having recently finished tweaking Roaths plan, I'm over the moon with it. There's no other way I would of managed to get the smooth, curving trackplan I've always wanted. I'm yet to get it printed out as one sheet (I'll be asking how to do that soon folks!) but here's the more interesting end of what I've managed:

dscf9191rc5.jpg

One warning though. You WILL loose your hour/afternoon/day/weekend if you start playing with Templot. It's VERY addictive.

Thanks Martin!

Pix

Comment posted by The Fatadder on Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:44 pm

I did find the program a bit tricky to get used to the first time I tried it, but decided to try again before starting my new layout. This time I have followed the video tutorials (where as last time I just used the paper based one) and found my self learning it much quicker. Installing the latest plugin upgrade helped a lot as well with the extra mouse function (very happy to have the mouse wheel zoom!), I did have a fair few problems early on trying to use control z to undo mistakes (followed by shouting at the computer when it removed all my work!)

The only thing I'd have liked to see different would be the standard windows scroll bars on the right and bottom of the screen (I keep moving the mouse down to the bottom meaning to scroll across and finding its not there!)

As for the service from Martin, its second to none! Both in the speed of getting me a new unlock code to get it working on my new laptop and in the help received on here sorting out some of my problems!

I think the best thing of all is the improved look of my planed layout, all the subtle curves and the ability to work directly from an accurate map have in my mind resulted in a much better looking track plan that I would have achieved otherwise!

Very well recommended!

??? posted on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:58 pm

The Fatadder wrote:

The only thing I'd have liked to see different would be the standard windows scroll bars on the right and bottom of the screen (I keep moving the mouse down to the bottom meaning to scroll across and finding its not there!)

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your kind words. icon_smile.gif

The reason there are no conventional scroll bars is that the workpad area is effectively limitless in size. You can go on panning for ever if you want to. But scroll bars must have a stop at each end, so how do you get past the stop? The only solution is those awful CAD-style scroll bars which spring back when you release them. If you have ever tried working with those you will know how painful that is.

Instead of scroll bars, there are half a dozen different ways of panning in Templot. But I find the most convenient is the drag-panning which I introduced in version 091c -- I wish I'd done that years ago. icon_smile.gif Just drag on the pad and move it, as on sites like Google Maps. You can use either the left or middle mouse buttons, with some differences -- more information in this topic: drag panning in 091c .

regards,

Martin.

Comment posted by John_Miles on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:18 pm

I use Templot a lot. I build my own track rather than using ready made and it is very useful. However, if you want to design any complex trackwork the process is rather tedious and many of the operations are not very intuitive. I find it easier to design the components separately, print out the templates and then join them together. You often have to hand draw some extra pieces to fill in the gaps but this is not too difficult.

Comment posted by leopard on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:14 pm

recently joined the bunch of earthlings dubbed templot users.

still not sure if I'm using it or its quietly mocking me. but thats normal for such a complex and powerful program.

obviously not mastered it yet, won't for a while yet. But for the money worth doing, been making my own points on OO for a while, and a few in N using hand drawn templates, this has given me a reason to actually get some ink in my printer. or borrow the office one.. ahem.

for people who think its too expensive, consider what a hand made point costs vs an RTR one. you don;t have to make many before your quids in just using it to make simple templates.

planning a possible move to 2mmFS so this is an investment that I hope will be worth it.

ok theres a fair bit it doesn;t yet do, electrical schematics etc, but these are not show stoppers, what it does it does well.

managed a single slip by the end of day two, and a crude tandem as well, use templates to get the main rails in place not too bothered about fudging sleepers and check rails when building.

seriously nice planning tool, but as a mac user it takes some getting used to icon_smile.gif

Archived