Dapol announce 'OO' OLE

Andy Y

In a surprise announcement at DEMU Showcase on 12 June Dapol announced a move to supply OLE masts starting a Mark 3 mast made available from Showcase onwards.

OLE4.jpg

The masts are available in both short arm and long arm patterns, 5 of each in a pack of ten for £9.95.

OLE2.jpg

The masts are plastic with a mottled weathered metalwork finish. The masts are fitted by drilling a 4mm hole, pushing the mast through the baseboard and securing with a plastic wing nut to the threaded section. The 40 mm threaded section allows the users to fit through most baseboard thicknesses but may be easily trimmed down if necessary.

OLE1.jpg

OLE3.jpg

OLE5.jpg

The support assembly is perfectly proportioned to the original design drawings. The wire sections of the guide wire to the registration arm and windstay are reproduced in plastic which is thicker than scale but is necessary to give functional rigidity.

It is understand that matching catenary wires will be available via TPM Models.

Dapol is to be applauded for bringing a much needed scale overhead system to the market (ahead of Peco's masts) to supplement the increasing number of AC models coming to the RTR marketplace at a value price.

Woodhead electrification

Dapol announced that in conjunction with their announcement of 25v Catenary masts, they are also to produce the MSW masts and gantries as used between Manchester and Sheffield and also currently still to be found on the BR network around Manchester and also in East Anglia. MSW masts should be available around the time of release of the Heljan class 76.

• RMweb Premium
release of the Heljan class 76.

Which has been announced where? I probably missed that.

Good to see RtP OHLE back on the shelves though. Not my baby but it looks OK and will suit a lot of modellers.

Interesting, and welcome. My initial reaction was scepticism about whether plastic OHLE would support the wires themselves, but from Andy's post this would seem to have been considered, with mention of "functional rigidity" and the wires from TPM. Also, is this the first mass-produced overhead to have seperated pull-on and push-off catenaries? It certainly looks to be a step above Viessmann or Sommerfeldt in accuracy on that grounds at least. Attractively priced too!

Added note: I know that Viessmann and Sommerfeldt represent continental prototypes, but their accuracy for even that seems to stop at the mast itself!

As per cromptonnut's post, of no use to me but to be very much applauded. cool.gif I'll look forward to seeing a few 25kv overhead layout pictures posted in RMweb in due course - Jim S-W need not apply (he's overqualified!!) wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

Rick (gwiwer): there is a thread elsewhere regarding Olivias Trains announcing a Blue Pullman and classes 76 and 77 Woodhead electrics to come from Heljan.

Edit: link to the thread referred to above HERE.

Dapol announced that in conjunction with their announcement of 25v Catenary masts, they are also to produce the MSW masts and gantries as used between Manchester and Sheffield and also currently still to be found on the BR network around Manchester and also in East Anglia. MSW masts should be available around the time of release of the Heljan class 76.

I got berated once for calling them 'gantries' on the 25kV and was told in no uncertain terms "They are Portal Structures". Was it different on the MSW?

Richard

Wow, there's going to be a bit of swearing down in Seaton this morning!

Not really, the Peco ones will have metal conductive wires, which may be tricky with the Dapol ones. But anything that gives OHLE newcomers a bit of choice can only be a good thing.

BTW, is that wagon in the first photo derailed..?

These really do look like good value, exactly what I have been hoping for. Hopefully the wiring arrangement will be simple enough for most people to install but also look reasonably realistic.

When they are released, it will become increasingly difficult not to scrap my layout projects and return to a larger layout, complete with full OLE coverage and and lots of those new Scenedraft buildings! If only I had another spare room...

This news re catenary and the new wagons was a real coup for Dave and all the people who kept schtum about the products. Really excellent work and the items looked great.

I can already hear the noise of 'knitting' going up all over the country...!

Wiston Works

Well it had all gone quiet on the peco front and I for one am very impressed with this move, hopefully it will lead to production of the WCML gantry type OHLE and more of the type associated with 4 track mainlines - though this is a very useful - and well priced, start!

When they are released, it will become increasingly difficult not to scrap my layout projects and return to a larger layout,

They got released last Saturday.

I got to see these for real at DEMU showcase on Sunday & thought they looked great.

They look quite tough for plastic, but I'm still unsure if they are tough enough for an exhibition layout.

At that price, they are definitely worth a try. It would cost more to scratchbuild them from brass.:blink:

• RMweb Gold

I've got to say that I was very impressed with the pieces that were at DEMU showcase over the weekend. I had quite a long chat with Dave about the range and will be watching with interest.

I can't see me replacing my scratchbuilt stuff but the new range certainly helps fill a huge gap in the market.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

I got berated once for calling them 'gantries' on the 25kV and was told in no uncertain terms "They are Portal Structures". Was it different on the MSW?Richard

OLE structures come in different guises. Portals consist of 2 vertical steel structures connected by a horizontal steel structure. These are fairly common on earlier OLE including MSW and Euston - Manchester / Liverpool. Headspans consist of two vertical steel structures connected by wires. These are fairly common on St Pancras - Bedford, Weaver Jct - Glasgow and East Coast Main Line. Both portals and headspans tend to be across more than 2 tracks. The single structures that only support one wire are called cantilevers, and these are what Dapol had at the DEMU.

Archived