REALTRACK models announce Class 143 and Class 144

Andy Y

I visited your stand and ended up buying some containers that I didn't expect to purchase! I did see the Northern 144, and took a fair bit of time to look at it. I was pleased to see it in the flesh, and see that it's exactly how I thought it would be, even with the blue seating inside as per the refurbished sets. The model does look spot on, and I look forward to recieving mine next year :D

• RMweb Gold

Should I go 8 or 21 Pin?

21-pin appears to be popular with modellers who wish to have max control of lighting features. So if you are equipping your model with interior lights, and anything more than just reversible head-and-tail lights, I'd suggest 21-pin will enable your product to achieve max realism.

I seem to read on here that 21-pin decoders are not in bountiful supply, however, and that an alternative multiple-socket solution is in the wings which may make 21-pin obsolete. Not helpful, perhaps.

21-pin appears to be popular with modellers who wish to have max control of lighting features. So if you are equipping your model with interior lights, and anything more than just reversible head-and-tail lights, I'd suggest 21-pin will enable your product to achieve max realism.

I seem to read on here that 21-pin decoders are not in bountiful supply, however, and that an alternative multiple-socket solution is in the wings which may make 21-pin obsolete. Not helpful, perhaps.

Lenz & TCS 21 Pin decoders are instockl at DC Kits! 01132 563415

More promises today from China of 144 Northern samples for Warley & Wigan. Wonder how long a Chinese 'shortly' is!

Running Test Samples have now completed 72 Hours of 'No Stop' running on our test track, and its still working!

As those of you who visited Warley last weekend & Falkirk this weekend you can make up your own mind what our pre-production sample looks like, I will have it also for inspection at:

Wigan, St Albans, Leamington (Warwick Showground), Dartford & BRM Doncaster. See you there. Charlie

you can make up your own mind what our pre-production sample looks like,

To be honest Charlie; exceptionally good. I'm no expert on modern boxes but the quality of finish and the standard of glazing were both excellent.

To be honest Charlie; exceptionally good. I'm no expert on modern boxes but the quality of finish and the standard of glazing were both excellent.

A modern box! This is a classic 2nd generation unit, advanced engineering from the people who brought you the milk float, simply put, 'Cheap!'

Assuming people buy these!

I suspect that won't be a problem for those who model current Northern operations, looking at the photos I expect they will sell like freshly baked cakes. Even I'm thinking of getting one of the ATW Class 143 even though they have never to my knowledge worked the Crewe to Stafford area, on the pretext one might just have replaced a faulty 158 on a Holyhead circuit!

As a thought for taking this further. Will a 21 pin chip still have aux 1 and aux 2 being abled to be used, given the amount of lighting and features this model will have - as it would mean its possible to get someone to get the tail lights to be independant.

• RMweb Premium

Looking very nice. Did you say that at some stage in the future you might be doing a "backdated" variant with earlier livery styles?

From one of Charlie's many posts..............

144-111 Class 144 in NEW 2011 Northern Livery with new Abelio Branding.

144-112 Class 144 in Standard Pre 2011 Northern Livery.

144-113 Class 144 in Metro Red & Silver 'Waves' Livery with Northern Branding.

144-114 Class 144 in Metro Red & Silver 'Waves' Livery with Arriva Trains Northern Branding.

But I'm sure he's open to other livery variants.

I believe the 143 will initially be in Arriva Wales and FGW liveries

HTH,

Mick

From one of Charlie's many posts..............

144-111 Class 144 in NEW 2011 Northern Livery with new Abelio Branding.

144-112 Class 144 in Standard Pre 2011 Northern Livery.

144-113 Class 144 in Metro Red & Silver 'Waves' Livery with Northern Branding.

144-114 Class 144 in Metro Red & Silver 'Waves' Livery with Arriva Trains Northern Branding.

But I'm sure he's open to other livery variants.

I believe the 143 will initially be in Arriva Wales and FGW liveries

HTH,

Mick

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the original Provincial light blue for the 143 and Metro train red and cream for the 144, which would require some tooling mods and a new seat unit. I remember riding the 143s in Tyne and Wear and pale blue liveries on Railrover holidays in the early 90s and a red and cream WYPTE Class 144 about the same time so I'd probably buy one of each as a nostalgic indulgence (I could always pretend they were on test running along the WCML between Stafford and Crewe!).

Last time I knew Charlie had noted that these provincial and Tyne and Wear 143s, and original red and cream band 144 units would be much later, after the WYPTE red and cream stripe, and standard regional railways models on 143/144 which will probably be more popular. If theres enough people out there that acknowledge they want those earlier liveries then Im sure hed get round to them.

Last time I knew Charlie had noted that these provincial and Tyne and Wear 143s, and original red and cream band 144 units would be much later, after the WYPTE red and cream stripe, and standard regional railways models on 143/144 which will probably be more popular. If theres enough people out there that acknowledge they want those earlier liveries then Im sure hed get round to them.

We are open to suggestions, but we really need to sell the initial 2500 models in 2 X Versions of Northern & 2 x Versions of the later Metro Red & Silver waves livery. These liveries we are doing take us back over 4 versions/liveries. Any other liveies mean doing the earlier Bus Seats, these we are doing and our plans are for the second Metro/RR Red & Cream & Regional Railways liveries next, these specifically are:

2nd Metro Red & Cream with Arriva Branding (1 Numbered version)

2nd Metro Red & Cream with Regional Railways Branding (2 Numbered versions)

Regional Railways livery (2 Numbered versions)

The Class 143 Units have a different seating layout to the 144 Units, this we are doing; These are:

RT143-211 Arriva Trains Wales 143609 'Sir Tom Jones'

RT143-212 Arriva Trains Wales 143610

RT143-213 First Great Western 'Local Lines' livery 143611

RT143-214 First Great Western 'Local Lines' livery 143620

Later we plan Wessex Trains 'Visit Bristol Livery', Valley Lines & Regional Railways.

We have been asked for the original Provincial & Tyne & Wear Metro liveries but are uncertain if there is a demand for these, we need 300 orders to make them a goer! So please shout if interested.

A suggestion came for a Scottish Pair based on the Bathgate twins, destination blinds being Bathgate-Edinburgh, INTERESTED!!!

Please bear in mind we have to shift the original Northern & Metro batches first!!

Should I go 8 or 21 Pin?

......given the amount of lighting and features this model will have - as it would mean its possible to get someone to get the tail lights to be independant.

8-pin will only give 3 functions off the socket and any decoder with more functions available will have to have the extra wires soldered separately.

21-pin, as suggested by Ian, will allow all those extra lighting functions to be available and as David says, allow the tail lights to be switched independently, allowing multiple units to operate with prototypical lighting.

You will also get the kudos of being one of, if not the first, British outline RTR manufacturer to incorporate a full set of proper working lights.

The limitation will be availability of suitable decoders with more than 4 functions.

Thankfully, the Lenz Silver+ range has 5 function outputs, the TCS EU621 has 6 and many of Zimo's range now have 6 as standard. However this cuts out the lower-mid and budget price decoders and other brands that can only muster 4 function outputs (note the Bachmann 21-pin only has 3 functions).

Personally speaking, a model this good deserves to have a decent decoder and if that allows extra functionality, such as full working lights, all to the good IMHO.

Ian has raised an interesting point here, as the 21-pin socket is set to be phased out (See the thread in the Dapol section).

Outside of the UK, all-new models are now beginning to be released with the new PluX sockets, as recommended by the NMRA and MOROP, however as the UK hasn't got this far yet, it may be prudent to stick with the 21-pin connector for now. If the release date is mid-next year onwards, it might require a different decision.

Pricing of decoders fitted with the new PluX connectors appears to be on a par with their manufacturers equivalent (identical) models fitted with 8 and 21 pin connectors; i.e. £23 and upwards.

Being early days, there are no budget options as yet.

With this change looming, I guess it's a tricky time for RTR manufacturers making a choice of what socket to fit in British outline models. 21-pin looks the favourite for now, but that may change in the coming years.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1

We are open to suggestions, but we really need to sell the initial 2500 models in 2 X Versions of Northern & 2 x Versions of the later Metro Red & Silver waves livery. These liveries we are doing take us back over 4 versions/liveries. Any other liveies mean doing the earlier Bus Seats, these we are doing and our plans are for the second Metro/RR Red & Cream & Regional Railways liveries next, these specifically are:

2nd Metro Red & Cream with Arriva Branding (1 Numbered version)

2nd Metro Red & Cream with Regional Railways Branding (2 Numbered versions)

Regional Railways livery (2 Numbered versions)

The Class 143 Units have a different seating layout to the 144 Units, this we are doing; These are:

RT143-211 Arriva Trains Wales 143609 'Sir Tom Jones'

RT143-212 Arriva Trains Wales 143610

RT143-213 First Great Western 'Local Lines' livery 143611

RT143-214 First Great Western 'Local Lines' livery 143620

Later we plan Wessex Trains 'Visit Bristol Livery', Valley Lines & Regional Railways.

We have been asked for the original Provincial & Tyne & Wear Metro liveries but are uncertain if there is a demand for these, we need 300 orders to make them a goer! So please shout if interested.

A suggestion came for a Scottish Pair based on the Bathgate twins, destination blinds being Bathgate-Edinburgh, INTERESTED!!!

Please bear in mind we have to shift the original Northern & Metro batches first!!

I;d certainly love a "Bathgate pair" in original provincial blue - perhaps a certain Edinburgh model shop might support you there Charile as thier next limited edition model. Roll on the first batch, at least 1 sold here, maybe both!

I think this model looks great. Truly great!

I'd also hazard a guess about the new model being a 156, but that's wishful thinking!!

Well, being right out there, I'll say the class 155 then!

Seriously though, there are only a certain number of classes it can be.

I;d certainly love a "Bathgate pair" in original provincial blue - perhaps a certain Edinburgh model shop might support you there Charile as thier next limited edition model. Roll on the first batch, at least 1 sold here, maybe both!

Already discussed this with them!

Well, being right out there, I'll say the class 155 then!

Seriously though, there are only a certain number of classes it can be.

Very wishfull thinking!!

I'd certainly have thought that the 155 had "EXTREMELY HIGH RISK" written all over it and I think Charlie has vocalised concern over what are much lower risk suggestions based on what other manufacturers are likely to do. Hornby are 90% of the way there already, or 100% for the units that are about to get reformed out of the 153s. REALTRACK's drive mechanisim would doubtless be a lot nicer to have in the unit though.