wagons.... early or late?

mark alden

Can anyone tell me what Bachmann mean by 'early' and 'late', presumably livery but to me they look the same!! At what point roughly did 'early' become 'late' and can I run 'early' on my proposed W.R. layout based around 1970-1973?

Confused of Ruislip!blink.gif

I assume that this is about BR locos, in which case...

Well, the title does say wagonssmile.gif

Mark, I'm not too sure what Bachmann mean with these designations; ordinarily you'd assume it differentiated between the pre-64 Gill sans lettering and the later boxed-in style, but that doesnt always seem to be borne out when you study the actual models and their catalogue designations, viz this fruit van here which is described as 'late' on Bachmann's website; some of the first batch of BR standard vans were similarly affected

It might be that there's a slight variation in the livery colour (which also changed around the same time, although wagons were often patch painted and lettering didnt always correspond to base colour). Either way, there were plenty of wagons in pre-'64 paint finishes running well into the 70s, so go nuts, buy what you wantcool.gif

Unless I am much mistaken, as applying to BR liveried wagons, Bachmann's early/late distinction revolves around the change in the style with which wagon labelling was applied from sometime in 1963. The late style has the wagon type, number etc in a white outlined box. Bach clearly haven't considered this in relation to their era scheme, marking 'early' as era 4 (1948- 56), 'late' as era 5 (1957-66). It would be better to show 'early' as era 4/5/6, and late as era 6/7. Quite a number of traditional 4W wagons lasted into the 1970s still carrying the 'early' markings. As above, go nuts, buy what you fancy!

Considering many of these wagons are done from photographs they could state the date the photo was taken in many cases..

Late seems to cover both post '64 boxes right hand tare weights as well as the later introduction of tops codes. My dad has one of the standard vans marked as late with the VVV code on it (currently parked next to large lettered GW van :lol: ).

Early is the easier to understand, 'as built' lettering pretty much.

As the others said though, plenty still about by your period, if you look at Paul Bartlett's fotopic site you'll probably even see where Bachmann modelled some of them from..

Go nuts I shall then laugh.gif This means I can buy weathered versions in both as I like the weathered stuff, and increase my rolling stock.

Wonder if Bachmann will do weathered coaches one day for those of us scared to use a paint brush biggrin.gif

Go nuts I shall then laugh.gif This means I can buy weathered versions in both as I like the weathered stuff, and increase my rolling stock.

Wonder if Bachmann will do weathered coaches one day for those of us scared to use a paint brush biggrin.gif

By all means by weathered stock if you feel the need to, but also buy yourself a very fine brush and a few pots of paint, then raid your missus / partners makeup stash. You'll be amazed how much pleasure you can get from (subtly) weathering a couple of wagons.

One of the most important model railway lessons I had was from Pennine when he kindly gave Mark Forrest and myself some hands-on advice on weathering wagons. All of a sudden a Bachmann pre-weathered 16 tonner wasn't realistic enough for me and I needed to do my own.

Don't be afraid - acrylics will wash off - even though the "meister" tends towards enamels rather than acrylics to a degree.

• RMweb Gold

Most of my weahtering is based on Pennine's guide on the old forum, before that my weatering was poor to say the least! I get immense plesure from seeing a (very lightly) weathered loco pulling a freight train of all weathered wagons, all weathered by me. Weathering coaches isn't that hard(and for me to say that is something!:lol:), George Dent's article in the June Model Rail is a very good guide to weathering coaches. Sorry for going off topic.

Archived