Modellers Mecca, Wall Heath

wollastonblue

I know there was a post about Modellers Mecca on the old forum, but after just placing my order for an Art Deco Signal box before they get snaffled, it dawned on me that their wasn't a place for this wonderful shop on the new forum.

So if you are in the Wall Heath/Dudley/Kingswinford/Stourbridge area, it is worth popping in.

You can also get updates on Facebook and Twitter from them.

Usual disclaimer, just a very happy customer.

• 2 weeks later...

Good call! Interesting how we'd overlooked 'em until now! Reasonably 'local' to me too, thanks for the reminder - only previously visited once, and I confirm theirs was a very friendly, helpful ambience. Must return soon!

This page may be useful then - http://www.modellers-mecca.co.uk/findus.php

I'm unsure as to why it's then appropriate to plug another retailer though?

I've been a sporadic customer for many years and have seen a change over the last couple of years away from stocking as many 'bits' which has reduced my visits. I know it's a sensible commercial decision but it does give me less reason to go out of the way.

• 4 months later...
Guest baldrick25

Thing I dislike about personal shopping there at the shop, is that almost nothing is priced.

Makes it very embarassing when you have to take everything to the counter ( one tin of paint-one sheet of plasticard, one this - one that ) and ask how much it is. Maybe it IS all online, but standing in the shop is not online.

Only things pseudo priced are a couple of " FROM £xx" baskets which can be misleading. Saw some basic Bachmann bogie bolsters which I had paid about £6 ( new) at a modelex the week before , so they were added to the 'basket'. A few key presses later , and a bill for in excess of £100 when I was expecting more like £30 .... They were £14.99 each. Mucho embarrassment when I said "No thanks" , and the till had to be reversed.

Imagine going round Tesco's, without knowing how much everything costs this week!

Another thumbs up from me for an excellent service.Ordered some corridor connectors yesterday and I have just opened the parcel.Less than 24 hrs.

Mine must have arrived a few minutes after yours.

Excellent service and an excellent product. They mut be turning out the Hawksworth version at a great rate.

Bernard

Nipped in today and managed to secure the last BR blue class 03 and a 6 pin chip to go with it. Usual happy smiling faces, even though they appeared to be trying to unpack several deliveries.

I cant understand the comment above with reference to pricing, as far as I can recall all items in the shop are ticketed up. (Just an observation, no controversy intended rolleyes.gif ).

Regards Paul

Thumbs up from me!!! Whether it's just an inquiry or picking up new purchases, all of the staff do an excellent job. Lucy seems to have a photographic memory of which up coming new releases I wanted and is usually kind enough to let me know by phone or email when they are due in.

Best of all whenever I visit the shop (usually on one of the more quieter opening days) I'm always offered a cuppa!!!! get that online?

I do appreciate that the comment that not everything may have a very evident price ticket and if an inquiry of the staff brought about a blunt reply i could understand the concern. But any request towards a price of a piece of stock is usually met with a courteous reply and usually advice as to various options.

Best of all, is that as a bit of a traditionalist, it's what i want a model shop to be. Somewhere where I don't feel that I am just another wallet walking through the door viewed as a percentage return on footfall. My hobby is personal to me and it's great to be able to shop somewhere where the service meets the same level.

If I have a regret it's not having as much time of late to get there and continue the increased loading on my shelves of rolling stock and loco's!!!

• 2 months later...

Called in yesterday via returning on a long journey home, very friendly & polite service, cup of tea offered, taken and drank. Bought some items at reasonable costs, great to have a browse, have to say though about the pricing, no tickets on a lot of items, but Paul would scan them in the till with no problem, I no this can be a grind for some people "also as previously mentioned in this thread Trading Standards could give them a hardtime over this".

Bit it is nice to put a face to the voice on the other end of the service, I have done mail order with this company, and the service has been great, also they take Paypal via there website, so that is a bonus on top of cards.

Craig.

Thing I dislike about personal shopping there at the shop, is that almost nothing is priced.

Imagine going round Tesco's, without knowing how much everything costs this week!

The local trading standards authority cannot be up to much then - many will fine retailers if no prices are clearly shown.

I will have to 'defend' Lucy for this one, as I have known her for a good few years and have been told the reason.

The reason for the no price tags is because she will try to price match every day with the 'Big boys' to make the shop competitive.

She has a "punters in Liverpool and Sheffield get the prices with out postage so why can't you" kind of attitude. Which I think is great.

This was the answer given to a some what rude customer last time I was there.

Anything that is on offer, an item from the 'own range' or price set by the producer is generally priced up.

I am sure she said that Trading Standards were informed this but when it was explained about the situation and repricing 000's of items of stock every day they agreed.

If you want to know the price, ask, she won't bite.

Alistair

Guest baldrick25

I can't agree with that logic at all. Take my attempt to purchase some Bachmann Bogie Bolster wagons before Christmas.

They are here on Hattons site BOLSTER LINK model 33-856 or 33-857 ( or maybe some other numbers depending on livery ) for £7 and £8 ... I knew I had bought some at a Fair for £7ish only days before , and wanted more to make a substantial rake.

Nearly £15 was Modellers Mecca price , that's hardly an attempt at daily price matching with the big boys to me. Even though MM is only a few miles from me and I drive on the main road past it , Footplate at Kidderminster might not be as well organised or as big physically, but the prices are marked and very competitive with Hattons/Rails etc.

Its not me that loses out from that policy of non-pricing of items, that's for sure.

I can't agree with that logic at all. Take my attempt to purchase some Bachmann Bogie Bolster wagons before Christmas.

They are here on Hattons site BOLSTER LINK model 33-856 or 33-857 ( or maybe some other numbers depending on livery ) for £7 and £8 ... I knew I had bought some at a Fair for £7ish only days before , and wanted more to make a substantial rake.

Nearly £15 was Modellers Mecca price , that's hardly an attempt at daily price matching with the big boys to me. Even though MM is only a few miles from me and I drive on the main road past it , Footplate at Kidderminster might not be as well organised or as big physically, but the prices are marked and very competitive with Hattons/Rails etc.

Its not me that loses out from that policy of non-pricing of items, that's for sure.

Strange - neither Hattons nor Modellers Mecca currently have them in stock. However Hattons pre order price is £8.00 and Modellers Mecca post V.A.T rise is £8.18.

Personally I am not bothered about if the prices are marked as I can always ask. What I am concerned about is being able to get a wide range of items at a good price, along with excellent service and sound advice. That has always been my experience at Modellers Mecca. In fairness on the few occasions I have been to Footplate I have found them very helpful.

• 5 months later...

Thought I would add my comments about this emporium as it is a shop I have been using since opening in the 1970's.

This is a "proper" model shop selling kits and scratch building parts as well as RTR stuff.

I do have an ulterior motive for posting this though!

I was asked by the shops proprietor (Lucy) if I was willing to have some pictures of Pen Y Bont on the home page of their web site. Of course I agreed and you can view the results at

http://www.modellers-mecca.co.uk/

There are other customers layouts there too so you will have to dwell on the home page a few seconds before Pen Y Bont pops up.

Anyway, back to the shop.

I have always found the service here first rate and the staff helpful and friendly. Their prices are good too compared to the big box shifters like Hattons and Kernow.

well worth a look.

• 5 months later...

Have to say I am another happy customer of Modellers Mecca.

Called Lucy on Saturday morning to check availability of Bachmann 3Fs, asked her to put one aside for me for a couple of hours, then picked it up after work.

A very competitive price against the "boxshifters", and only a few miles diversion off my route home from work - well sort of !!!!

Great stuff Lucy and gang - keep it up

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using this shop for the best part of 25 years (and I'm still only 32 now!!!)

Since the extension, new cabinets etc, the RTR range has expanded largely, can't comment on the kits side as I'm not largely into that side. Always found them friendly and helpful plus informative!

Their advice seems to be spot on as my wife popped down there for my Xmas present and after enquiring, my wife was offered the new Bachmann Metals 37/5 with the option that if it was right for my layout, I could exchange/refund!

Not been offered this illusive cuppa yet tho and I work on the railway so it's an hourly necessity!

Regarding this pricing debate, before travelling the 1/2 mile to the shop, I always check price/availablity online so I know what I'm paying and expecting.

Again, no connection, just a satisfied customer! And maybe get that cuppa next time!

Too bad the shipping charges to Canada were not a bit more realistic, to ship a Hornby BR Thompson L1, either 30 quid via RM, or, 39 quid via DHL. Compared with Hatton's shipping charge of 5 quid via RM.

Can you guess who will get the order?

Must be drinking too much tea at MM.

Cheers.

Andy

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I've used this shop three times now and have been very impressed each time.  Living in California I'm strictly a website shopper and MM's website is better than most.  Hatton's is still the gold standard but for what I perceive to be a small shop MM's webiste is quite sophisticated and in some ways is better than Hattons.

I've used the shop to exlucsively to buy N gauge locos in old issue, hard to find liveries which for some reason MM still had in new in stock long after they had sold out at the "big boys" and indeed even sold out at the manufacturer.  I suppose there are plenty of other small shops that still have old stock like that but MM gets my business because of its presence online.  I also like its loyalty points scheme - it's very simple to use and "does what it says on the box."

They do very good email acknowlegements and post promptly.  Prices listed online are competitive (sometimes VERY competitive) and overseas shipping charges are, too.  I can't tell you how many times I've found a "bargain" at a shop only to discover at checkout it wants to charge me more than 10 quid for basic p+p.  Whereupon I nix my order.  Shops would do well to appreciate that p+p costs are a huge draw when they are low and a huge turnoff when they are not.  MM definitely knows this!

If I have any gripe it's that their N gauge inventory in-stock seems a bit thin.  I can appreicate they would not want to tie cash up in inventory but when I am in the mood to buy something, I'm in the mood right then and don't want to have to wait for the shop to special order something from the manufacturer.  I'm sure they'd get more custom from me if they had more stock readily available for sale.

Apart from that the shop is superb and highly recommended.

Matt

Archived