RTR Turntables for 00. What's out there?

sn

Thinking of building a steam era MPD. Turntable is required. What are peoples experiences of rtr versions as I've never had one before. Seems to be only Heljan or Hornby available and from what I've seen of Hornby it does not look too clever .

I hear of people getting the Peco tt to work with Meccano parts. How easy is this and perhaps more importantly how readily available are the mecaano parts to do this?

Hi sn,

There are other RTR Turntables available. Fleischmann and Roco make excellent TTs. I have the Fleischmann TT. It is motorised and is easy to set up. It is very European, but with a lick of grey paint can be made to look like a UK TT. There was one in a recent Hornby Magazine, I think the layout was called Kingsbridge. Walthers is the same as Heljan and look very nice too.

The Peco kit can be motorised with motors available from Frizinghall Models and Expo Tools, check them out and look for info on this forum.

Mark

post-7319-127642537335_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I tried using the peco kit with the frizzinghall gearbox, and it just sounded like a box of spanners! Never tried it without the motor as for me motorisation was a key feature I was after. I ended up going Heljan which works fantastically well. I would steer clear of the Hornby offering, as that is reputed to be pretty loud too - That and it looks a bit too toy like to me!

I think the Fleischmann TT is only available with their Profi track these days. They do make the other non-ballasted track version for Marklin though. It's pricey, the cheapest I have seen it is £250, but it's a good bit of kit.

Brian

I seem to recall the Hornby one can be butchered into something decent, but it involves serious hacking about. And don't the access roads have a bit of an odd gradient on them?

There's always the old Airfix/Dapol one, but you'll need to motorise that obviously.

Guest Max Stafford

With the advent of the Bachmann coaler, this has seriously got me thinking about my layout plan...!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

The Heljan/Walthers one is being rereleased at the end of Summer with built in DCC decoder , according to walthers own website.

That one is based on US prototype, but can be modified, most importantly its motorised straight out the box with a very clever indexing system thats prett much foolproof (I could get it work, proof enough).

According to the latest info , the dcc version will operate straight from any dcc handset without any other hardware needed.

they do two sizes, 90' and 130' , for UK outline I would think 90' is plenty big enough, the 130' fits an HO scale 4884 Big Boy on it.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2849 for the upcoming 90' one.

A layout belonging to one of the members of the club has the Heljan TT, expensive but the lining up of tracks is very good and it's easy to Anglicize. Will probably use one on Danemouth once things get moving :D

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

A few months back I posted an article on my own turntable with some hints /tips along with a circuit diagram. I am quite surprise that on typing 'turntable' in the search box it did not pick up the article I posted . MODERATORS WHY NOT ? If a member is looking for advice then the simpleist way should be to type your query into the search box, or am I missing something here?. I have said for over a period of some 25 odd years that it has been difficult to obtain a commercial t/t that works without indexing round or sounding like a screaming banshee when it operates.My article was to help others who want to achieve a working unit, with advice and 'how to' the post was titled 'Table a la carte.' Beeman.

• RMweb Gold

The Heljan/Walthers one is being rereleased at the end of Summer with built in DCC decoder , according to walthers own website.

they do two sizes, 90' and 130' , for UK outline I would think 90' is plenty big enough, the 130' fits an HO scale 4884 Big Boy on it.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2849 for the upcoming 90' one.

Bear in mind that 90' is in HO scale - 3.5mm/ft. That works out at a shade under 79' in OO scale - 4 mm/ft. It looks good and works very well for me and is almost silent.

A few months back I posted an article on my own turntable with some hints /tips along with a circuit diagram. I am quite surprise that on typing 'turntable' in the search box it did not pick up the article I posted . MODERATORS WHY NOT ? If a member is looking for advice then the simpleist way should be to type your query into the search box, or am I missing something here?. I have said for over a period of some 25 odd years that it has been difficult to obtain a commercial t/t that works without indexing round or sounding like a screaming banshee when it operates.My article was to help others who want to achieve a working unit, with advice and 'how to' the post was titled 'Table a la carte.' Beeman.

Search isn't brilliant, not something easily fixed or I'm sure it'd have been done. Searching RMweb using Google is much better. Here's your thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/10116-table-a-la-carte/

J.

• RMweb Gold

beeman, I assume you are referring to this post (edit: OK, Jamie beat me to it :)):

http://www.rmweb.co....dpost__p__88907

Some discussion on the Hornby and Heljan turntables here:

http://www.rmweb.co....dpost__p__87287

As for the Metalsmiths range mentioned above, here's some additional info from a recent thread:

http://www.rmweb.co....post__p__158641

Using the advanced search to look only in 'Permanent Way, Signalling & Infrastructure' under 'turntable' finds it quickly (third entry down).

Searching isn't great on here, it's a recognised problem. Interestingly, I would have thought a post on how to build a working turntable would be better off in 'Hints & Tips' (particularly bearing in mind you mentioned it had 'hints /tips' yourself and your thread seems to have generated some positive responses) - you might want to ask for it to be moved into there. Having a good online 'shout' in capitals at the moderators probably isn't the best way to get them on your side though...

• 5 years later...

Hello, just found this topic.  There is another alternative to the Heljan, Peco and Walther turntables in the form of the Atlas turntable.  It may be a strange closed deck prototype but it is fairly inexpensive and works very well.  

The Atlas looks good I guess at 9" it is around a scale 55 foot so Manors, 43XX Std 4 etc.  Halls might just squeeze on.  but for a small layout it has to be an improvement on the Hornby /Peco/ Dapol 75 foot monsters   I use a 10" cut down Dapol and it saved a huge amount of space in the MPD and still turns Duchess and A4 locos

The whole disc turning is a bit toylike as is the dwell at each outlet of the motorised version 

There were a number of British tables where the well was boarded in but mainly in round houses I think.  I found a video of a guy who built a deck onto an Atlas base.

Personally I would use Dapol sides cut down if I could live with the whole disc turning   However the dwelling at outlets makes it a no no for me so i for one will keep pushing my cut down Dapol around with my fingers.

Edited by DavidCBroad

• 2 years later...

I was looking at the ADM turntable  - probably the most expensive TT i've found at over £400. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfL2-T14xX0

Wow that's really cool!

I've weathered loads of these wonderful creations but never actually seen one in action. Shame the video wasn't of a sound, lights and smoke loco running whilst being turned. I love the momentum. So smooth! They do turntables for N gauge up till bigger than O gauge now at ADM Alistair told me. Amazingley he's constantly developing these designs even further still. Hopefully if I'm fortunate one day I'll get to see one run in the flesh and have a play with it.

• Like 1

Just read this topic. I agree with previous comments that the Heljan one looks good and can be made to look more British, but they seem to have been prone to a lot of faults. I read all the comments over the years whilst my own kept working, but that conked a couple of months ago; a faulty control box and spares aren't available! I managed to buy another non-working turntable to play with (see, they do go wrong) and fitted a DCC decoder to it, I now control it with my DCC system and whilst there is no indexing it can now be controlled at any speed, down to a crawl, to line it up by eye. I also took the opportunity to alter the wiring. Originally these decks reversed polarity at the half way point, which is great until you start running DCC sound locos, then they switch off for 2 seconds every time you turn one, which is a pain. Wiring altered, a dual frog polarity changer installed in the wiring, and everything works, so I'm now going to alter my own in the same way. (it had been altered a lot and I was lax to have a go at it until I was sure I could do it). I have now worked up the second one, but I don't think I can justify 2 large turntables in my plans, so the 2nd one will go on Ebay in the future. I've just tried to upload a video of it, never having done one before, if I manage it I'll try and post a link.

Edited by daltonparva

• RMweb Gold

I've not previously needed a turntable, but the layout I have in the planning/preparation stage will benefit from having one.

Unfortunately, all the r-t-r ones seem to be too big to fit the space I have available.

ISTR Heljan once made a smaller one, 70' in HO which comes out a bit over 60' in 4mm, and would fit (just) but can't find any current reference to it.

Can anyone enlighten me as to availability, and ideally point me in the direction of one.

Thanks in advance 

John

I've not previously needed a turntable, but the layout I have in the planning/preparation stage will benefit from having one.

Unfortunately, all the r-t-r ones seem to be too big to fit the space I have available.

ISTR Heljan once made a smaller one, 70' in HO which comes out a bit over 60' in 4mm, and would fit (just) but can't find any current reference to it.

Can anyone enlighten me as to availability, and ideally point me in the direction of one.

Thanks in advance 

John

The numbers were 89031 for a "normal" one, and 89041 for a "covered" one. There's one of the latter ones on Ebay at the mo for £75 + £10 p&p, it didn't sell last week so have a go for it if it suits you. There is also a Roco 42615 which scales up at 63', these are still available about £250 -£350 new, but are harder  to find second hand and cheaper.

Edited by daltonparva

Thanks in advance 

John

Hi John

Have a look at:

http://www.kitwoodhillmodels.com/on30-turntables/

Don't let the narrow gauge examples put you off - look at the second page - in particular:

http://www.kitwoodhillmodels.com/ho-65ft-turntable/

Also some of the narrow gauge turntables are available for different track gauges so you may find something to suit.

Regards.