How do I rivet valve gear on Hornby locomotives

I wish to repair the valve gear on some old Hornby/Triang engines. I have obtained the correct rivets and now need some tips on how to actually do the job having only used pop rivets on cars which are a great deal larger.

Thanks

If they are flat stem rivets, then strike with a small hammer via a flat ended punch, gently, several blows to flatten the end, and if hollow rivet then strike with a punch with a 45 degree end or like a centre punch, again a light touch, several blows, not one big one!!

The hollow type will "bell out" and secure, the plain rivets will expand in the part nearest the punch, do not over do it, or it will seize the two parts, you can then dome over the end with a series of light blows like a ship's riveter in miniature.

The anvil can be a piece of good hard wood held in the vice, do not strike onto metal, it will damage the head,

post-6750-127791971989.jpg

Add a slip of paper between the parts whilst working, and work the Joint afterwards the paper is destroyed and it leaves a tiny working gap.

Hope this helps,

Stephen.

• 1 month later...
Guest Max Stafford

For what it's worth, when I had to replace a rivet on my Bachmann K3, I used a hobby hammer with interchangeable ends. I selected the round ball-pein head. I carefully manoeuvred the joint onto a miniature anvil on my bench to support the job from the rear. As Stephen says, work, gently and carefully. Take your time and you shall be rewarded. :)

Archived