Blog- Buckjumper's Blog - LNER J25 in 0 gauge: The abridged build.

RSS Fetcher

I was recently asked a few questions about the ex-Fourtrack J25, now marketed by Gladiator. I built one of these kits three years ago and documented it on RMweb, but that was before the previous version of the forum, and I though it might be worth revisiting it the build here. I've been desperately trying to remember any details of the build, so if there's anything I've forgotten, or if I've created inconsistencies between this and the original account, or if I've just got things plain wrong, I apologise in advance. These photos are smaller than usual - but were par for the course on RMWeb in 2006, and there are also several photos missing - but maybe I didn't take them in the first place! This, then, is very much an abridged version rather than a blow-by-blow account. Generally the build wasn't too bad; the kit is fairly old, but satisfied the expectations of the time. If I was asked to build another, I might consider trying the John Fozzard kit instead, but wouldn't baulk at building this one again.

The kit was originally from the old George Norton 4mm range, now marketed by London Road Models, blown up to 7mm with some new etches to bring the kit up to more recent standards. The kit comes with a mix of white metal and brass investment castings, and it was a shame to have to put the lovely NER originals to one side (safe in my spares box for possible future use).

Originally the loco was to be 65670, but for some reason, and without lots of digging for the prototype photos I can't remember why, it was changed to 65691 part way though construction of the loco body. My thanks to Mick Nicholson who provided drawings and masses of prototype photos of these machines, and to James Wells who provided a photo of the similar, but not identical J21 backplate.

blogentry-6672-12568162445019.jpg

Starting with the tender, the tank inner and outer sides and back were soldered into place.

blogentry-6672-12568166156199.jpg

The tender top fitted snugly between the inner and outer sides. Next, the drag beams, buffer beam valences and frames were soldered in place. there was no provision for the sloped coal plate in the kit, but this was easily fabricated from brass sheet.

blogentry-6672-1256817122041.jpg

I seem to remember having to move the frames slightly outwards and grinding away at the rear because the sprung buffers fouled them, and this photo appears to bear that out. The side and rear tender flares were annealed and formed before being added. The rear coal plate needed much fettling to fit my interpretation of the flares. Strengthening strips were soldered across the top of the tank.

blogentry-6672-12568174503179.jpg

Also missing from the kit was the coal board which slots between the tender inner sides. The brackets were included in the kit, so were folded up and soldered in place, followed by the board formed from brass sheet. The tool box shelf was fitted in place, and the tender detailed with the coal rails, axleboxes, tender filler, toolboxes, handrails, steps and brake standard.

I'm unable to locate photos of the sub-chassis, but split axles for electrical pickups were employed using Slater's glass-reinforced nylon hornguides.

blogentry-6672-12568180632365.jpg

At some point the fragile brake standard broke off and I fashioned a new one from wire.

blogentry-6672-12568185629057.jpg

The cab was built up on the footplate. The two glazed window frames, beading and handrail knobs (filed flush inside) were fitted while still in the flat. For some reason which escapes me now, I rejected the all-in-one etched boiler/firebox, instead fitting the original firebox sides which were supplied on the etch when brass tube was used for the boiler in an earlier incarnation of the kit. The buffer beam and drag beam were fitted, as were the small valences.

blogentry-6672-12568193976079.jpg

The splashers were soldered in place and the smokebox/boiler/firebox etching offered up - it looks as if I've removed the firebox sides from the all-in-one etch, so I assume something here didn't look right or fit right... for me, at least.

blogentry-6672-12568195041748.jpg

A taste of things to come.

blogentry-6672-12568195916256.jpg

Details begin to bring the loco to life; the riveted smokebox wrapper, cast chimney, sanding control rods, grab handles, roof and steps all contribute to the North Eastern character.

blogentry-6672-12568200321784.jpg

The reverser was built up from the etched parts and a homemade rivet from brass rod turned in my mini drill....

blogentry-0-12568201096752.jpg

...and soldered into place. Front buffer housings and cab steps were also added.

blogentry-0-12568202214381.jpg

Continuing with detailing, the dome, safety valves and whistle were added.

blogentry-0-12568208438553_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the next photo jumps ahead and shows the detailing is complete, with the loco ready for painting. I have no photographic record of construction the frames, but I rejected the coupling rods and ordered some milled ones from Keykits (though apparently no longer in their list), and also made new frames. The spacers were very narrow, so fabricated new ones from brass sheet.

I fitted the loco with an ABC motor/gearbox unit geared so loco shunts smoothly at very low speeds, and has a low top speed of around 40mph.

The loco was finally fitted with Guilplates smokebox and shed plates, painted, numbered with HMRS transfers and weathered to the condition most of these locos ended up in by the 1950s.

blogentry-0-12568221374547_thumb.jpg

More photos of the finished model here.

View the full article

Archived