Outon Road

RBE

That's a beauty i am impressed i've been watching the progress of various layouts but i think this will get my vote simply because of the simplicity of the design & well execution of scenic detail. It just reminds me of Derbyshire in the 1980's when i was a wee whipper snapper watching train's at place's like Grindleford & the line's around Mansfield.

I missed this one glad i found it reallyliking the model so far.

Simon.

Cheers for the positive reviews chaps. There is still quite a bit of detail to add but she's getting there. I also need to paint the bare wood at the front of the layout black and build fiddle yards and lighting. Not sure all that will be done for the deadline though. As long as the scenics and electrics are finished I'll be happy. She runs and the point servos work but none of the lighting is wired up as yet.

I'm actually now quite interested in showing it when its finished so if anyone has room at their show for a small 10ft x 15 inch (including fiddle yards) mid 90's layout please let me know!

Anyway back to the plot. Richard the signals are Berko two aspect. I usually scratch build my signals but really didn't have time on this with the delay in starting. I had to knock up a quick route indicator for the main signal as the shop didn't stock any with route indicators on (it was a standard two aspect). It suited me though as it meant I could do something a bit different, my route indicator isn't the same type as the berko one. I have to say though that the new Berko signals aren't too bad at all.

Cheers

Cav

I'd be very interested to see how you've mounted your servos and what you are using to control them....

And as for the layout, it just keeps getting better and better :O

as a lover of small micro layouts and anything i build is usually within the confines of 4ft x 1ft, this is stunning, great use of colours and the simplicity of the trackplan isnt noticed at all and everything blends into itself, completly fantastic great work and cant wait to read more about how things have developed.

regards

neil

Cheers for the positives guys, Simon are you from around Mansfield then? Not too far from me if you are. Probably why my layout looks kinda local. It didn't start out that way but yes it does give me a little memory jog of my youth, good times!

As for this question:

I'd be very interested to see how you've mounted your servos and what you are using to control them....

And as for the layout, it just keeps getting better and better :O

I went for simplicity as there are only 3 points. 2 are electrically connected to run together as a crossover so just 2 switches and a push button, the layout is DCC so not too much to do isolation wise. The servos have been stripped out so are in effect just motors and gearboxes. this works fine with so few points. The servos are just glued under the board and connected to the ties with thick brass rod and heavy guitar strings which bend a litlle at the end of travel. The brass rod bears onto a microswith for point polarity switching. All works nice and simply. I would look to more complex electronics for a larger layout though. I will photo this for my summary page.

Anyway as the deadline looms I'm virtually done (as much as needs be, theres always some tinkering!!). I didn't get time to do fiddle yards though but the rest runs beautifully. I would like to add a couple more lamps in the yard so hopefully they will be in tomorrow before photo time.

Cheers

Cav

Well. I don't know what the method of posting for the finished article is so I'll just post some shots of the finished scenics and then do the summary for the 14th. I've spent the morning wiring the lights up. which now work as you can see. I would have liked to add more and flowers but that will happen after the comp as will the fiddle yards.

Anyway this is the state it is in as far as the competition is concerned. Enjoy. the summary post will have a load of beauty shots, well photographed etc!!

post-6894-023327700 1288538933_thumb.jpg

post-6894-061137800 1288538972_thumb.jpg

post-6894-043845000 1288539011_thumb.jpg

post-6894-066351700 1288539058_thumb.jpg

crafty 5 added! there are a few more about!

post-6894-055315200 1288539102_thumb.jpg

post-6894-031046800 1288539142_thumb.jpg

post-6894-019641400 1288539437_thumb.jpg

post-6894-032159800 1288539566_thumb.jpg

post-6894-097324500 1288539637_thumb.jpg

Regards

Cav

If these are the "just for now" pictures and we're getting beauty shots later, then they're going to be pretty special. I really like the last shot, it looks like an overcast evening.

It's a lovely layout, lots of details without being cluttered, and another one which integrates the backscene perfectly. I'm really starting to re-think my no backscenes policy after seeing so many good ones on RMWeb.

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Premium

It seems to me that good photography and decent lighting add a vast amount to a good layout but highlight the snags on a less than good one. What you have done here is to produce a first class layout and then to show it using very good photography and lighting. All to superb effect.

Well done!

George

The photography does make a difference. Especially depth of field. Trains in focus at one end and not at the other or the train in focus and background not just doesn't happen in real life as the trains are so big that to photograph them you are generally always outside the distance that depth of field can really play with focus. Its either in or out. With models its the reverse. In order to give the illusion of reality you really have to simply illiminate small depth of field and get the whole scene in focus with a big F stop. Natural light is also a winner. I didn't have that with my last set but it was under a daylight bulb. Still doesn't do the job like the sun does though.

As for the backscene Will, I'm a definate fan. Creating the illusion of space gives a good model life. The photo backscenes available these days make the whole thing even more true. I was a little worried when I opened the ID scene I used as the houses were a lot nearer than I'd imagined in my mental image of what I was trying to acheive. In the end I think it all worked out for the best!

Regards

Cav

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what i can add to th eabove but its seriously impressive stuff. The attention to detail is amazing and just all adds to that perfect feel.

I have to say aswell the weathering on the rolling stock is subtly perfect. The job on the shunter and also the large TEA in the summary thread are particularly impressive and would love to know a little more on how you went about them.

Cheers and congratulations, Scott.

Cheers Guys, Positive comments are always good to hear.

I love painting and weathering stock. The TEA and the 37 are both commisions though which I will be sad to see packaged off.

Anyway I have a rake of those tanks lined up plus some locos so I will do a little weathering thread if anyones interested.

Cheers

Cav

Very nice small layout you have created, right up my street. As a fan of the small space layout this works really well, the level of detail and its execution is just right. Have you considered fitting a couple of yard lamps to aid night tme shunting? There are some nice alternatives to the usual ekon range out there now. I have used some on my latest project and they work well. Will try and attach a pic of them.

Pity you are in Chesterfield, I am always looking for D+E layouts for our own show in Suffolk.

Cheers

post-10210-032208600 1290191797_thumb.jpg

Weathering thread it is then!

Back to the layout, I always intended to add yard lamps and buffer stop lamps, I just didn't have the time for the challenge deadline. They will be added soon. You're right though there are a lot of nice lamps out there these days but I think that I will be scratch building mine. I try to scratch build whenever possible, doing things to deadlines often makes that difficult!

Suffolk aint so far. May be able to be talked into it!

Like the look of your layout though!!

Cheers

Cav

The track is a mixture. The main line is Peco finescale code 75 concrete sleeper with the sleepers cut seperately and spaced out to 4mm scale rather than HO. The yard has code 75 SMP wooden sleepered track and the turnouts are scratchbuild from a mixture of C&L chairs, rail and sleepers with Peco individulay pandrol clips for the parts of the points that don't move. The frog areas are build onto copperclad sleepers to give rigidity around the crossing vee.

Regards

Cav

Archived