One Anglia class 153 set number tranfers

• RMweb Gold

I'm finishing off a class 153 in 'One' Anglia livery using Electra Rail Graphics sides and I'm trying to source transfers for the set numbers (153...) on the ends, it looks like these are smaller than the usual black set numbers used on other units. I have a selection of Fox transfers for unit ends but when I lettered one end they instantly looked wrong and are too large, but I can't find anything smaller.

I believe that at least three sizes of numbers have been used on these units in East Anglia over the years, 153314 with the traditional size numbers in 2005, the same size numbers are still in use on the units still in Anglia turquoise:

2005_05_217.jpg

This is 153306 newly outshopped in 'One' livery in 2006, the numbers take up less space:

2006_04_080.jpg

Finally 153314 again last week, but with what look to be even smaller numbers:

2010_06_105.jpg

I've checked my photos and 153314 was the first to be reliveried in this scheme and has always had the tiny numbers, 153306 seems to have had the medium size set when first repainted in 2006 but now carries the small size as 153314. My photos also confirm the same size numbers on each end for each variation of the livery.

My model is of 153306 as in the middle photo, so I'm after the medium size, I think these might be the same as the nose end numbers of the class 90s (90001-90015) in the same livery and also the Mk3 DVTs, so I'm going to have to find some more when I get round to these.

Progress so far and the oversized numbers:

DSC2683.jpg

Does anyone know of a suitable commercial transfer or am I going to have to bite the bullet and start brewing my own?

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In the end I decided to make my own using Crafty Computer Paper's laser transfer paper, somewhere in the dim and distant past I got hold of the right font for the PC. I can't make my mind up if the end result is exactly the right size, but to my eyes it looks much better than the first attempt.

A coat of varnish this weekend and then I'll put it all back together, once it's done I'll post some pictures.

Very impressed with Adam's sides, apart from some some swearing getting them round the cantrail door open lights as the cutout for them is slightly offset. I didn't quite find the melting point of Hornby body mouldings while roasting the vinyls with the hairdryer, but the work doing that is well worth the effort.

Martin

Archived