I recently upgraded the battery in the TK artic to a 1200mAh flat battery (lipo), as it was only lasting 5 1/2 hours of exhibition use with its 650 battery. It now lasts more than 2 days of constant use!

I'm well pleased with that!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I've been having a play with our HHO machine, which we bought 18 months ago. Di uses it all the time, but I haven't got round to it, so I thought I'd give it a go.

HHO is hydrogen hydrogen oxygen, and is generated through electrolysis. Is is then burnt via a very fine torch, giving immense controllability. These machines used to be extremely expensive, but now you can buy them for as little as £150.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Giles,

Thanks for the video. Been thinking of making such a unit, but not worth it now the price is so low. There seems to be two basic sizes, 75L or 95L - which is yours? Which electrolytic powder do you use? Apparently HHO (Brown's gas) has some useful, peculiar properties, iirc.

• Like 1

Potassium hydroxide is the electrolite we use, and the machine is a 75l info remember correctly!

Certainly for our sort of work I suspect capacity isn't much of an issue. There was certainly a great deal more heat available than I needed!

I seem to remember having a little difficulty in finding out about the chemical and the mix. I did eventually, and, as I say, it's Potassium Hydroxide (Flake) also sold as KOH, and the solution is 150gms per litre of distilled water.

Bought from Amazon or Ebay or whatever....

Edited by Giles
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Next slightly mad minor project is hopefully a fully working steam crane in 0-14 (not actual steam, though...).

Not complete yet, but progressing....

The reason for this being that the radio control mobile crane, though remarkably successful, only has an endurance of around 5 1/2 hours, as I can only get a 650mAh battery in it, and it isn't swappable. This means that it has to retire three-quarters through the exhibition day. I do have a kit to build a duplicate, but I wanted to try something different. A rail crane, but it needed to be narrow gauge to be any use to me.

I had a Backwoods Miniatures face shovel which I thought would do for a basis, but as it happens, I've really only used the jib, the base-plate and the roof, and most of that simply because I had them. It would have been just as easy to scratch-build the lot (with the possible exception of the jib) as it happens.

I've had to scratch build a chassis in order to get a motor under the foot plate, and that is powered via a slip ring through the centre slew-ring. Battery and control being within the cab.

44902833502_e30b847514_c.jpg2018-09-27_05-15-16

by giles favell, on Flickr

31264844168_32b3e9ee50_c.jpg2018-10-06_06-05-24

by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 12

This is the configuration of the chassis as built. I deliberately didn't want to make it with outside cranks and rods, as I could only find one prototype that was driven this way - so I thought I'd compromise by just driving one axle. This motor is a 40rpm job, so very slow speed - which is what I wanted for the crane.

29849236487_d3189783ff_c.jpg

2018-09-19_05-56-00 by giles favell, on Flickr

However, although nothing stops the axle, it does slip at the slightest excuse..... which is no good....

One option was to build a new chassis with cranks and rods - but I didn't want to do that for reasons above. The other option was to find a way of driving the second axle. I thought I could fit a gear train between the wheels and the frames - so I got on the computer and drew up some gears and a frame, and laser cut some out.... These have laminated gears from Trotec, and trial sides of the same stuff. These are the idler gears. It worked well.

43346120820_462bea29e1_c.jpg

2018-10-07_05-58-58 by giles favell, on Flickr

The final gearbox with nickel-silver side plates cut on the Stepcraft CNC

30245262427_6411d79269_c.jpg

2018-10-08_06-45-19 by giles favell, on Flickr

New configuration. This thing would now push anything off the track.... the crane being so heavy, and the drive so strong - it just goes...

31330337028_de9f6750e6_c.jpg

2018-10-09_04-29-00 by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 9

Thank you...!

Another little detail I tried out in the light of previous models was 'drop-out/removable bearings'.

It was going to make my life much easier (and indeed - so it proved!) if I could just drop the axles out of this thing if I wanted, rather that faff about, and so I used the capabilities of the Stepcraft - Although it would be perfectly reasonable to do this by hand or any other method.

I drew the frames with the bearing holes slotted out, and drew separate little 'U' (?) shaped profiles to fit in the slot, under the normal top-hat bearings. These were then silver-soldered to the top-hat bearings, which gave me bearings that would neatly slide up into the slots - accurately - but not rotate.......

44736134422_eeebf4493d_c.jpg

2018-09-19_06-04-29 by giles favell, on Flickr

44985981431_6027e7ffab_c.jpg

IMG_1109 by giles favell, on Flickr

I shall certainly use this method again....

Edited by Giles
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

This is the configuration of the chassis as built. I deliberately didn't want to make it with outside cranks and rods, as I could only find one prototype that was driven this way - so I thought I'd compromise by just driving one axle. This motor is a 40rpm job, so very slow speed - which is what I wanted for the crane.

Back when the Chatham show was in the dockyard, I had a lift from the carpark to the exhibition hall on one of the Grafton steam cranes.  We reached a heady ½ mile per hour but our average was reduced by stopping to insert extra links in the couplings between the crane and its match trucks for the tight curves.

A couple of weeks ago I was at Ropley watching the departmental crane relocating a boiler.  The lift and slew were very slow indeed.

So slow is good!

• Like 2

It now runs and slews under its own power and radio control...... I'm still waiting on the hoist and derrick motors which are on a slow boat from China, having ordered them nearly two months ago!

The slew is too fast, and I shall look at re-motoring it. I don't have any slower motors tucked away - so I'll have to see what I can order. The travel is lovely though - just as planned. Similarly I think I've got the balance right, so it doesnt topple when slewing empty. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Ive remotored the slew, so it's a nice speed now, and yesterday a pair of flip motors finally arrived! I've turned a pair of drums for them, and now they just need fitting (somehow!) and we're done.

a9z0DAQ.jpg

• Like 8

i got the hoist motors mounted...... It turns out the gearbox spacers are like hollow stays, and I was able to tap them 10BA without drilling. A mountinng plate was made to hold them in the correct relative positions, and then soldered on to the base frame. The whole lot was then painted matt black.

kgaevhv.jpg

• Like 4