DJH OO class 02 starter kit

I found this kit the other day, having almost forgotten I even had it, and thought I'd finally have a go at building it.

post-6731-127868104485_thumb.jpg

post-6731-127868105283_thumb.jpg

The body is made of several whitemetal castings, with a pre-folded brass chassis, and lots of small parts in individual pockets. There's quite a lot of flash so the first task will be to clean that off so I can do a dry run to see how everything fits together.

I'll probably convert the chassis for three-rail pickup, so I'll need to see if I've still got any shoe assemblies in my spare bits collection.

Paul

If it wasn't for all the flash it would be a lovely little starter kit - but then you have to get used to it - one of the annoying things about white metal.

But I do like the way DJH package everything in separate poly sections.

post-6731-127869019998_thumb.jpg

post-6731-127869020771_thumb.jpg

Much filing of flash later, and here is a dry run assembly of the major cast parts. Everything seems to be pretty square, which is a relief as that was my major worry about the kit.

I've also filed off the cast handrails as I plan to replace them with brass wire.

Now to have a look at the chassis.

Paul

I looked at the photo at the top and thought, "Oh come ON!. He's NEVER built it in 2 hours 30 minutes?":blink:

I was despairing of my own modelling when I got to the bit about a dry run and felt a LITTLE better.:rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering would you be able to recommend the DJH 02 good Diesel starter kit in 7mm for a beginner? I am new to the world of Kit building, but am keen to give it a go and develop some skills! Or would I be better off with another kit or doing one in a smaller scale?

Any advice appreciated!

I looked at the photo at the top and thought, "Oh come ON!. He's NEVER built it in 2 hours 30 minutes?":blink:

I was despairing of my own modelling when I got to the bit about a dry run and felt a LITTLE better.:rolleyes:

No, if you want to have your modelling skills put in doubt, you need to look at John Teal's G scale blog with the plasticard class 25 scratchbuilt in a couple of days.

post-6731-127876156337_thumb.jpg

This is my progress from last night, a dry run with the chassis and motor mounting. Everything seems to run smoothly even with only a couple of volts applied, which bodes well for good running.

My current task is to assemble the Dublo third rail pickup and work out how to fit it to the bottom of the chassis.

I was wondering would you be able to recommend the DJH 02 good Diesel starter kit in 7mm for a beginner? I am new to the world of Kit building, but am keen to give it a go and develop some skills! Or would I be better off with another kit or doing one in a smaller scale?

Any advice appreciated!

I can't really comment on the O scale version, but so far the OO version seems to be very simple to assemble and all the parts fit together well without needing any major filing, filling, unbending etc.

Paul

post-6731-127877520123_thumb.jpg

Testing the body out on the chassis, with the wheels screwed onto their axles.

post-6731-127877526477_thumb.jpg

The Dublo third rail pickup. I've had to cut down the base and bend the shoes to a slightly different profile to fit the pickup beneath the very low chassis of the loco.

I now need to sort out attaching it to the chassis, then maybe start soldering and gluing some things together.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

No, if you want to have your modelling skills put in doubt, you need to look at John Teal's G scale blog with the plasticard class 25 scratchbuilt in a couple of days.

post-6731-127876156337_thumb.jpg

This is my progress from last night, a dry run with the chassis and motor mounting. Everything seems to run smoothly even with only a couple of volts applied, which bodes well for good running.

My current task is to assemble the Dublo third rail pickup and work out how to fit it to the bottom of the chassis.

I can't really comment on the O scale version, but so far the OO version seems to be very simple to assemble and all the parts fit together well without needing any major filing, filling, unbending etc.

Paul

Hello Paul

I was given a "02" kit but the motor that was sent was an enclosed can motor, but unfortunately it dose not fit but the one you have is the right one, could you advise me when you bought the kit please.

post-6815-127878325829.jpg

Terry

• RMweb Premium

Hi Terry

I was given this for Christmas in 2005, as far as I can remember. Hope that helps you get your motor sorted.

Paul

Thank You that is a great help which put the kit that I am doing for a friend before 2005 as the original l kit chaissis was a white metal casting

Terry.

but unfortunately it dose not fit but the one you have is the right one

It is possible to make it fit and work well.

Looks to me if you are mounting it too far back and the gears are not meshing - the flat sides of the motor should face the frames so turn it 90' in the mount and it should fit.

I believe that DJH are now supplying these infinitely better can motors for their kits rather than the older open frame ones.

Nearly all DJH kits I have built the first thing I've done is bin any open frame motor and gears (and often the wheels as well) if "supplied"

Most of their kits do not come with a motor as standard but they do "recommend" their own pack. So you often find that they come together as an ebay/swapmeet purchase.

But I'll admit to not building them much these days - I just don't have the patience/tolerance for w/m that I used to. I believe DJH are supplying much better optional motors with their kits these days.

post-6731-12788691718_thumb.jpg

Last night I painted the chassis black, and now it's all soldered, screwed and glued together. Third rail pickups are a right pain, fitting it beneath the chassis and between the axles was very tricky and it kept shorting out until I added extra insulation. The coupling rods jammed on the first attempt, and it still needs some running in to get everything going smoothly.

Here's a short video of the first test run on Dublo track. I was worried the shoes might lift it right off the rail, but with to body on it seems to run okay.

(Bonus points if you recognise the telly on in the background)

I need to get the body sorted now, first fitting wire handrails then soldering it all together.

Paul

• RMweb Gold
I was given a "02" kit but the motor that was sent was an enclosed can motor, but unfortunately it dose not fit

When I built one of these kits a few years ago, I couldn't get the DS10 open frame motor supplied to run smoothly, so I replaced it with a smaller can motor similar to yours, Terry, but I then fitted a different gearbox, from memory a Branchlines or Comet 40:1 example, although no doubt a High Level gearbox would probably have been even better. You will probably need to modify the nickel-silver frames to take a replacement gearbox, however.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello Paul

I was given a "02" kit but the motor that was sent was an enclosed can motor, but unfortunately it dose not fit but the one you have is the right one, could you advise me when you bought the kit please.

post-6815-127878325829.jpg

Terry

I have resolved as I had no joy in getting the right motor for this chassis, so I resolved the by raiding my mates box of motors and gearboxes, he had in the tin a "small RG4" so I thought I see if it would work . It dose but I had to come up with my own pick up's as the one that came with the kit did not work.

The Image is of the chassis on the rolling road running in. The weight is to stop the chassis form taking a leap of faith.

post-6815-0-24551100-1300222250_thumb.jpg

All I have to do now is get the body to fit as and when I can get the body from the owner.

Terry.

Archived