Bachmann 4-CEP

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Shortly after someone had nicked the first two I imagine ... icon_wave.gif

Oh very drole, very drole indeed, Caller! :P

Can't you see how important it is that we unearth the evidence of one of these units working the 1540 from Templecombe to Bath Green Park??!! :lol:

• RMweb Gold
always nice in pairs. ;)

More fond memories of the early days of the WSR, well, just the one Cravens unit, but still... I wonder where it is now?

A propos of nothing in particular, I got into conversation with a Mr Craven from Philadelphia, USA on the train the other day, he is a descendent of the Cravens family that founded the Cravens Railway Carriage & Wagon Co in Sheffield.....

This is going to be very very difficult to avoid buying,

Despite knowing that I'd end up ripping the thing apart and converting it to a refurb...

Does bode well for the EPB as well I guess

I know what you mean. Such a shame that they were all refurbished! Those ends look fantastic!

It does look rather nice, the work around the power bogie looks very neat, appears to convey the image of weight very well unlike previous offerings. May have to build a third layout to accomodate the DC stuff thats coming up!

Cheers

Shane

In case anyone is thinking of installing 3rd rail with Bachmann's new offering and wants their 3rd rail to be in the vicinity of Bachmann's shoes, Bachmann has set the centre to centre distance between the 4-CEP's shoes to be 26.8mm, rather than the prototypical 29.4mm. Bachmann's design shoe to running rail height was a daringly-accurate 1mm, but I fancy they might have increased this a tad in the actual production.

Yes! Just what the doctor ordered - Its been a long time coming but it looks well worth the wait...

It was the green one that I was after but the British Rail Blue and Grey is very tempting -

I can see a complete re think of the layout in the works... Thanks Andy for posting the pictures...

I have loved these units since 1963 when we used to board one (against advice from platform staff) whenever they were stopped by signals at West Dulwich on their way in to Victoria. The occupants used to view our arrival with distain whilst I used to envy their superior accomodation and wished that I could enjoy such perceived comfort. Be careful what you wish for as I ended up commuting long distance in them way past their 'upgrade'.

Sometimes their riding could be exciting to say the least and seasoned commuters braced themselves for the then sharp curve at Swanley and the hurtling accross the viaduct at Farningham Road on the way home. If you couldn't get a seat and an intermediate driving cab was open you could watch the speedo. I've seen it displaying 101mph (whilst praying we'd stay on the rails!). Great fun. Thanks drivers....

All of life was aboard especially behind the closed blinds in the compartments on late night trains.

How could I not buy such an excellent model?

Gerry

Also waiting for the N scale version.......

Think I may end up going for the Blue grey one. Could allways stick a 33 on the front or back. wink.gif

Is there any evidence of these being worked with the 33's. I know the 33's worked to Weymouth with one of the EMU types but can't remember which one. unsure.gif

Think I may end up going for the Blue grey one. Could allways stick a 33 on the front or back. wink.gif

Is there any evidence of these being worked with the 33's. I know the 33's worked to Weymouth with one of the EMU types but can't remember which one. unsure.gif

The push-pull fitted class 33/1s worked with the unpowered 4-TC sets. On a very few service a 33/1+4TC would work in multiple with a 4-VEP unit, but I can't remember the exact details. A 33/1 + 4-CEP combo is technically possible though.

The 4-CEP as modelled by Bachmann were mainly confined to the South Eastern section. Some 4-CEP/BEP units ran on the Central section mid-Sussex line, but ISTR these were from the prototype batch which had loads of detail differences.

The green sample is missing it's shoe beam fuse boxes :rolleyes: Other than that they look great.

Archived