Bachmann 4-CEP

Andy Y

Wow!!,

That really is very good. About time us 3rd rail fans had something to shout about. Hopefully the underframes will be available as spares, especially the bogies. If the 2Epb is as good as this I am going to be skint! I will have to get on with my DC Kits version now.

Hi All,

Only 7101-7104 were prototypes, the "production" units up to 7110 were allocated to BI for central division work. Very infuriating at the time for us very young SED based trainspotters :icon_mutter:

They could certainly work with 33/1's and did on occasion. Shortage of DEMU's on the Ashford- hastings line being one instance.

and during the 1986 snow - I both travelled in and worked trains formed of 4-CEP's hauled by 47/3's & 56's :icon_smile:

There is an EXCELLENT web-site at

http://www.scot.scotshome.com/cepunits/

- not sure about them being the finest DC electric units (especially after re-furbishing) BUT they would certainly do 100mph when pushed :icon_thumbsup2:

When I was at college I used to catch what was usually formed of usually 2 4CEPs. It was the 0800 Brighton - Basingstoke which then headed up to Waterloo. It was something different to the usual CIGs and VEPs, although they sometimes turned up on this service too. Happy days.

I shall be purchasing a Modelzone blue unit and/or a Blue/grey unit, although that green one looks sweet, especially with the wooden shoe beams. I must heartily congratulate Bachmann on these and it means I'm looking forward to the 2-EPB even more...

Most tasty indeed... almost enough to make me add a Southern/SR component to my GWR/WR layout. Nonetheless, even if I do remain resolutley a GWR man, I may just end up adding one to my layout as it looks (from the photos) such a superb model. The green I find much more fitting a livery than the blue/grey (to my taste the BR "Corporate" livery only seemed to work well on few items of rolling stock)

Now if Bachmann (or Hornby) could come up with a Class 305 or Class 306, the much neglected ER modeller would be a happy bunny (and I'd finlly get to make my model of Gidea Park station in the 60s)

F

Was the commonwealth bogie under the trailers and inner ends of the driving cars something added at refurb? Or did any of the originals also run with them? I presume this was to try and improve the running qualities. I feel there is a whole other level of wow factor to come when someone does a subtle weathering job on one - although I can remember them looking smart they usually had a lovely work-a-day grubby appearance much of the time and that wonderfully detailed cab end is going to carry the grot beautifully.

Raphael

• RMweb Premium

Wow! Looks like I'm going to have to buy one. But Blue/Grey I remember travelling on or Green to fit my modelling period...?

The Green looks pretty good - pity the Bachmann Mk1s aren't this colour - or do the eye and photo combine to deceive?

My layout is DCC. I haven't read anything yet, so does anyone know if the functions (lights etc.) on the CEP will work with one decoder, or will two (both driving cars) or three (centre powered car plus driving cars) be needed?

Andrew

EDIT: The always helpful Richard at Bachmann has confirmed only one decoder is needed. Good.

Was the commonwealth bogie under the trailers and inner ends of the driving cars something added at refurb? Or did any of the originals also run with them? I presume this was to try and improve the running qualities. I feel there is a whole other level of wow factor to come when someone does a subtle weathering job on one - although I can remember them looking smart they usually had a lovely work-a-day grubby appearance much of the time and that wonderfully detailed cab end is going to carry the grot beautifully.

Raphael

Before refurbishment, only the later batches had commonwealth bogies - i.e. 7154 upwards, and 7013 upwards for the 4-BEPs.

7153 was the prototype refurbishment, and as such had CW bogies. As new, 7153 would presumably not have had CW bogies, as it wasn't part of the later batches.

• RMweb Gold

Delighted to see this model now so close to actual production. Not clear if there will be a version without any yellow on the ends, as I recall them in the early '60s when they began to supplant the Cor-Buf-Cor formations on the Mid-Sussex fasts. Yes, the CEPs were smashing units, or seemed so to young spotters at the time. Very early units - probably up to 7110, maybe only 7104 - had painted window frames, and these were still this way into the blue, maybe blue-and-grey eras. I think, typical of their era, the buffet cars of the BEPs always had Commonwealth bogies. Does Bachmann have something it could dust down to produce such a vehicle? I think the CEPs were the last new SR units to have shoebeams, rather than the cantilever fitments of later types. The shoebeam might have been primitive, but it was just what the driver wanted on an icy morning, when the unsprung weight would shift ice off the con rail. The cantilever design tended to lift over the ice, effectively gapping that coach.

If this model sells well, there may be more SR EMUs to be had. If not, even the 2EPB may be shelved, I fear. Thus, I find it very comforting in this thread that detailed forensic exams are under way to identify third rail on e.g. the Somerset & Dorset!

I think, typical of their era, the buffet cars of the BEPs always had Commonwealth bogies.

Yes, quite right, missed that detail in my earlier post. The older BEPs had CW bogies only on the buffet car, and the newer BEPs had CW throughout apart from the motor bogies.

That is one seriously good looking unit. I've always had fond memories of anything southern from when we used to travel to my grandparents by train from London Bridge to Lee, and seeing them at L Bridge, later on working at London Bridge on the railway. Seriously tempted to bin the OHLE and go southern with that unit, would save years of work.

God, decisions decisions.......

• RMweb Gold

That is one seriously good looking unit.

Even so, it will only be a matter of time before some clever-clogs manages to modify one to be even better! Who's for an opening stretcher window? Then there's the dubious sealing on the double glazing, with ponding between the panes - 4mm goldfish, anyone?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian - yes, that's what I've ordered biggrin.gif

I see from one of the mags that the all-green version will have a whistle. I can remember seeing a CEP at Hove in about 1964 (at that time, I didn't know what it was - all the local units I'd ever seen had domed cabs). For me, this raises a question - when did the whistles get replaced by horns ? I'd like to one day model circa 1964 (scope for DEMUs and perhaps kettles), but for the moment my third-rail plans are for 1970-72.

So far, I've only got one (blue-grey) on order, I'm a bit worried about reports that they have special couplings within the unit - I'm good at breaking things, and my stock mostly lives in boxes.

??en

• 2 weeks later...

Archived