Peterborough North

great northern

Gilbert I noted a few pages back one of the contributors suggested photoshopping the sky from your local viewpoint onto your pics- How about getting it printed onto a very large piece of vinyl instead and affixing it to the wall, in the same manor as a wallpaper?

But much cost a few bob - though often surprisingly little, but wouldn't half save you some effort!

It is nice sometimes just to record the movements which take place around the station area to get stock and locos into the right position, and so this morning concentrates on the setting up of the 5.25 to KX so that its passengers can board, and will have a loco to take them on their journey. The N5 has completed its part of the process, and the stock is at Platform 2 ready for passengers to get on board.

attachicon.gifN5 2.JPG

a couple of minutes later the N5 is running back along the Down main before crossing over to get back to its resting place, while 60119 is seen backing onto the stock.

attachicon.gifN5 and 119.JPG

This was a Doncaster duty, and is so rostered today. Railway Observer records that at least twice in August 1958 a Haymarket A4 was seen on this train, no doubt being gently run in from Top Shed  having had minor repairs after working the Elizabethan. This is not one of those days though, and it would certainly not have been had I been there.

I think that the train will be a little late in departing - the centre drivers have 'fallen out of bed' !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Any chance of photos of the talismann rake?

OK, here we go. I had to take these in the fiddle yard to avoid messing up the sequence, and it is a foul day here with little light, so apologies for the quality.

post-98-0-41728400-1501069446_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-57972500-1501069462_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-59881500-1501069479_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-40458200-1501069498_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-48323600-1501069515_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-38236700-1501069531_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-93055800-1501069546_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-09850600-1501069564_thumb.jpg

Not much RTR in there, though that will change somewhat later in the year.

• Like 14

Mainly MK1s in the Northumbrian, but we haven't had a look at this prototype for a while.

attachicon.gifCravens second.JPG

Cutting edge for the time, I suppose. After the Northumbrian had pulled in, there was an opportunity for the 01 to cross into New England yards.

attachicon.gif01 leaving.JPG

Whilst at the other end, Sir Nigel waits in the bay to take over the Up Glasgow, and the C12 brings stock for a Grimsby departure up from the carriage sidings.

attachicon.gif7 and C12.JPG

Hi Gilbert - what is that coach?I"m sure you've told us before...

OK, here we go. I had to take these in the fiddle yard to avoid messing up the sequence, and it is a foul day here with little light, so apologies for the quality.

Talisman 1.JPG

T.JPG

talisman 3.JPG

talisman 4.JPG

talisman 5.JPG

talisman 6.JPG

talisman 7.JPG

talisman 8.JPG

Not much RTR in there, though that will change somewhat later in the year.

Thanks Gilbert. I've just the Twin FO's to do. Marc's models I think

Edited by davidw

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Gilbert. I've just the Twin FO's to do. Marc's models I think

It's a lovely prototype to model and Gilbert's take on it looks magnificent. I completed mine a year or two ago but my twin FOs are Mailcoach and not to Gilbert's standard. By way of contructive criticism I don't think commonwealth bogies were around in 1958, so you could really do with replacing those on the CK. Having said this I stand to be corrected by Gilbert's evidence bank!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

It's a lovely prototype to model and Gilbert's take on it looks magnificent. I completed mine a year or two ago but my twin FOs are Mailcoach and not to Gilbert's standard. By way of contructive criticism I don't think commonwealth bogies were around in 1958, so you could really do with replacing those on the CK. Having said this I stand to be corrected by Gilbert's evidence bank!

Andy

No, you are right Andy. I got one or two of these when they first came out, and were the only type available. Too impatient to wait for the right version, as usual. They are on the list for replacement - have been for ten years or more I should think. :lazy:  No doubt I have replacements...somewhere. Incorrigible, moi?

• RMweb Premium

OK, before I go and make sure everything is set up correctly for this evening, and tweak my opening speech a bit more, here is another W1 shot, just about to plunge into the gloom, where 60119 can just be discerned still waiting time.

post-98-0-08798300-1501143639_thumb.jpg

and then an attempt to do a bit of zooming in, looking from the other end.

post-98-0-87172400-1501143724_thumb.jpg

very heavily cropped to remove a lot of hopelessly out of focus stuff, and still not up to much, but in fairness I think that degree of strong back light would give most cameras a severe problem.

• Like 17

How about a side on view of the W1, which really shows its impressive bulk.

attachicon.gif700 2.JPG

and then, although I'm fast running out of nothing, here is nothing happening on the forecourt.

attachicon.gifnothing 5.JPG

More golf club preparatory work now.

That's the first time I've really had a good look at that station, Gilbert, and it's a real credit to Peter's craftmanship. Absolutely stunning workmanship from the master.

Allan

OK, before I go and make sure everything is set up correctly for this evening, and tweak my opening speech a bit more, here is another W1 shot, just about to plunge into the gloom, where 60119 can just be discerned still waiting time.

attachicon.gif700 and 119.JPG

and then an attempt to do a bit of zooming in, looking from the other end.

attachicon.gif700 under roof 1.JPG

very heavily cropped to remove a lot of hopelessly out of focus stuff, and still not up to much, but in fairness I think that degree of strong back light would give most cameras a severe problem.

You could try a reflector card to lighten the gloom. A piece of white card held alongside (both sides?) of the camera and tilted to an angle half way between the main light source (window?) and the photo's main subject. It can be surprisingly effective. I wouldn't be tempted to use a mirror as this can give rise to some odd effects - white card scatters the light and makes for a more natural effect. Next time you have a contre-jour to take why not give it a go? You can see the effect on the screen or through the viewfinder (if you are using a DSLR). Of course if you are hand holding the camera you will probably have to enlist a helper to hold the reflector...."up a bit....tilt it to me.....no, TO ME....."

Chaz

• Like 1

You could try a reflector card to lighten the gloom. A piece of white card held alongside (both sides?) of the camera and tilted to an angle half way between the main light source (window?) and the photo's main subject. It can be surprisingly effective. I wouldn't be tempted to use a mirror as this can give rise to some odd effects - white card scatters the light and makes for a more natural effect. Next time you have a contre-jour to take why not give it a go? You can see the effect on the screen or through the viewfinder (if you are using a DSLR). Of course if you are hand holding the camera you will probably have to enlist a helper to hold the reflector...."up a bit....tilt it to me.....no, TO ME....."

Chaz

The other option is to try fill in flash...

• RMweb Premium

No, you are right Andy. I got one or two of these when they first came out, and were the only type available. Too impatient to wait for the right version, as usual. They are on the list for replacement - have been for ten years or more I should think. :lazy:  No doubt I have replacements...somewhere. Incorrigible, moi?

I know the problem. That's probably why I spotted it! I've solved it by creating a 1963 version of the Flying Scotsman and swapping all the commonwealth bogies onto that rake. Not so easy when you're as disciplined in time frame as you are.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

post-98-0-57972500-1501069462_thumb.jpg

Think you could swap those bogies for whatever you need? Very easy to achieve especially if you just swap for Baccy Bogies; straight swap then I should think?

Phil

I think I may actually have some Phil. It's just a matter of first remembering where they are, and then why I was looking for them in the first place. I rate my chances of doing both at about 50%.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

And so the Special General meeting is over, the nay sayers were defeated, and we can get on with getting the club into the real world. Very good result, but I now need a couple of days relaxation to get over it. That can be arranged. Another photo of W1 under roof. Letting it get somewhat closer makes things much easier.

post-98-0-47653100-1501190929_thumb.jpg

The whiteout at the rear is entirely prototypical, and I'll find a photo to illustrate that tomorrow. Then I have one of the last two nothing shots.

post-98-0-42089500-1501191055_thumb.jpg

Very nothingy, this one.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Well, that's a year of friction and worry over, and a big weight lifted off my shoulders. Now I can return with renewed enthusiasm to the railway, and perhaps even start on that long list of jobs to be done. Don't hold your breath though. The camera focuses on 60700 again this morning, now standing patiently at the end of Platform 3, and waiting for the guard's signal to depart.

post-98-0-57362000-1501231032_thumb.jpg

then we come to the last bit of nothing, for now. I was going to bin this, but decided you should be allowed to marvel at the genius needed to get that signal growing with such millimetric accuracy from the dome of the locomotive.

post-98-0-68892200-1501231195_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

That last picture, Gilbert, must have taken you hours to set that up and position that signal precisely on top of the dome of that loco - or do you have a loose signal that you can plonk anywhere ?

Allan.

It's just a gift Allan. I can't explain it really. It isn't just signals, you know. Poles, water cranes, anything that can be made to protrude from some part of a locomotive, I can do it. It's the same with the wonky lamps, and derailed locos and stock - just comes naturally.

• RMweb Premium

I'm pleased your meeting went well Gilbert.  It is only the dedication of folk like yourself that stops clubs of any sort crumbling in mediocrity and destruction.

I see the Ramsey 'Men in Sheds' which our 'Old Farts Bike Club' grew from the frustrations of being set up 3 years ago has just opened this week - we've been going three years in the interim with great success. #sigh#  Doomed, I tell you.....full of the same nay-sayers that have haunted you of late!

Onwards and upwards now, trains on the rainy days, golf on the fine?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think I may actually have some Phil. It's just a matter of first remembering where they are, and then why I was looking for them in the first place. I rate my chances of doing both at about 50%.

If you don't want the Common' Bogies when you swap them, may I have them please? I could send you some B1s .... not the loco type though......) if you like? I have several sets and I don't know why I have them...........................................................doh!

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022