Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

G'Day Folks.

Just come across this photo, it's a train heading to Little Barford power station, which is of interest, but the signal is also of interest, this pics was taken in 1958, is that a Somersault signal on the platform ????

manna

it is a North Eastern signal, placed where it is because loco crew approaching from the south could not sight the signals at the north end because they were obscured by the overall roof. I suppose in a way you could call it a repeater signal. It was upper quadrant for a long while, but at some stage in the late 50s was converted to lower quadrant as seen in this image. I reckon that must have happened because sighting was still difficult when it was upper quadrant.

The Little Barford coal is always identifiable by the extra brake at the front, needed as the train could not be turned on arrival at the power station. It was also the most likely train to have a borrowed loco, as here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

is that a Somersault signal on the platform ????

I think a somersault signal displays the arm in a vertically dropped position when off. I think East Lincolnshire, not a million miles from PN, was the last scene of such signals. Wainfleet comes to mind. Others will know better!

I think a somersault signal displays the arm in a vertically dropped position when off. I think East Lincolnshire, not a million miles from PN, was the last scene of such signals. Wainfleet comes to mind. Others will know better!

Very few somersaults actually achieved the vertical off position I believe. Checking through Michael Vanns book on GNR signalling I failed to find a single example, although the one pictured on page 36 of a Stirling single at Harringay shows one getting very close.

Here's my 7mm effort...

post-9071-0-93704100-1512732126.jpg

Note the central pivot and the separate spectacle plate - quite different to the pictured NER semaphore.

There were some late somersault survivors on the Hatfield - Luton/Dunstable branch, which closed in '65.

HTH

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Courtesy and copyright of Andrew C Ingram, and not to be further reproduced please. The caption says it all.

post-98-0-43137700-1512743147_thumb.jpg

Don't mention the point rodding. And look at that hut! Not bedded in properly at all.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 11

Courtesy and copyright of Andrew C Ingram, and not to be further reproduced please. The caption says it all.

attachicon.gifimg20171208_14202781.jpg

Don't mention the point rodding. And look at that hut! Not bedded in properly at all.

More of note in this picture is the signal control cabling, makes you wander how on earth they exactly worked effectively let alone at all!

...look at that hut! Not bedded in properly at all.

Surely the hut is on some kind of plinth, or at least some substantial timbers (old sleepers?)? A garden shed plonked straight onto the ground is not long for this world..... :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

In addition to the running of trains, and the making of a photographic record, I have today been doing some research, my hope being to identify a couple of "typical" West Riding trains. That's apart from the named services, of course. I have however discovered that in 1958 at least, there was no such thing. I now have to decide whether to pick a couple of actual trains and model them, or to carry on with generic formations, as I have done until now.

I have all the necessary coaches, but coupling incompatibility makes marshalling them in correct order a nightmare. I shall give this more thought tomorrow. I'd give quite a lot for some more catering cars too.

• RMweb Premium

I do like the stark lines of the Ivatt 4. Is it a kitbuild? 

Point rodding I have done, but that photo reminds me I must tackle signal wires. 

The Ivatt is weathered Bachmann actually, nothing else has been done to it. The mere mention of point rodding for this lot makes me go all faint!

It was time for a cup of tea in the refreshment room, so our cameramen missed one or two minor events, but suitably refreshed, the 3.48pm to Kings Lynn was recorded behind the usual Ivatt 4.

attachicon.gifIvatt.JPG

That's a stunning portrait of an everyday M&GN service. It also shows just how good that Bachmann model looks.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

BRIDGES.

There are two on the floor of my railway room, and I keep having to avoid tripping over them, so they need to disappear. I was going to put them straight on E-Bay, but then thought I might just ask if anyone who visits here would be interested. If so, please let me know, here or by PM, and I'll give details of dimensions etc. Oh, and in case you haven't guessed, it is the old Crescent and Spital Bridges, both built by Allan Downes.

BRIDGES.

There are two on the floor of my railway room, and I keep having to avoid tripping over them, so they need to disappear. I was going to put them straight on E-Bay, but then thought I might just ask if anyone who visits here would be interested. If so, please let me know, here or by PM, and I'll give details of dimensions etc. Oh, and in case you haven't guessed, it is the old Crescent and Spital Bridges, both built by Allan Downes.

Gilbert, If you don't find anyone else to look after them, I'll be honoured to find a place to include them on the new Waverley East/Shed/ Mainline layout when it's built!

• RMweb Gold

Gilbert, If you don't find anyone else to look after them, I'll be honoured to find a place to include them on the new Waverley East/Shed/ Mainline layout when it's built!

Yes, Smiffy, honoured is the word. Some of us in the lower orders of the hobby would be proud to own a structure from such a legendary name.

My 2017 acquisition of a number of Larry Goddard Bulleid coaches at good prices makes me feel similarly smug. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have discovered two things today. The first is the almost impossibility of speaking to a human being at Virgin Media. The second is that one of my West Riding sets is spot on for the 1.20 Down. Had I looked at the formation from the correct end in the first place I might have discovered that earlier. It might also have helped if I could have remembered researching and setting it up some time ago.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Gilbert - I shall ensure your order goes to the youngest and prettiest packer!

Tomorrow morning will probably be our busiest day of the year, all hands on deck sort of day I reckon. 

Do you know the origin of the N5 by the way?  McGowan?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Gilbert - I shall ensure your order goes to the youngest and prettiest packer!

Tomorrow morning will probably be our busiest day of the year, all hands on deck sort of day I reckon. 

Do you know the origin of the N5 by the way?  McGowan?

SE Finecast Neil. Will the packer be a young lady, and if so, will she be delivering personally? Well, one can always try.