Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

The photos are NOT my copyright.

attachicon.gifUNIDENTIFIED (ANGLO-SCOTTISH CAR CARRIER)_01.jpg No Diagram issued

attachicon.gifE96202E (PRESERVED AT GCR).jpg Diagram 817 (E96202E, preserved at GCR)

attachicon.gifDRAWING.jpg Diagram 817

Regards,

John Isherwood.

That D 817 was something Geoff Brewin and I were discussing as a possible candidate for Comet sides not that long before he died. Sad.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

They look like Fox bogies on the example being the A4,but Gresley bogies on the preserved example. Interesting.

Anyone have any ideas on how to model one (or eight!!) of these?

Andy

Might be worth having a word with some 3D printers for the D817 sides. I think all the other bits could be sourced from existing products?

Phil

If the D 817 vehicle is a conversion from a Lav Composite (D 50?) then it would have Gresley bogies. Similar vehicles were converted from ex-GE 50' carriages. Either or both as etched sides would be welcome. Anyone fancy talking to someone like Worsley Works?

• RMweb Premium

Might be worth having a word with some 3D printers for the D817 sides. I think all the other bits could be sourced from existing products?

Phil

Phil,

I think I’d misunderstood John’s original post. His clarification this morning makes it clear that it's not the d.817 that is needed for this train, but the E71xxx series. They obviously have different chassis’, but how much difference there was in the sides I don’t know.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Very successful, I would say, and as far as the repro of the original looks on my screen, you have a much wider dynamic range than that. Look at the detail in the smokebox door and other dark areas, which the original black-and-white has simply lost. No brick detail in the chimney, none on the tower roof. No waist lining on the leading car. In my view your pic is infinitely better. 

Your comparison shots are fantastic. Please keep them coming :)

Time for the comparison shots I threatened to produce the other day. We start with Vic Fincham's original image, which is reproduced courtesy of, and acknowledging copyright of Andrew C Ingram.

attachicon.gifimg20180419_12395079.jpg

For once, it looks as though Vic had the same light conditions as I have. Here is my attempt.

attachicon.gifcomparison.JPG

I don't have the correct engine, but this one is only one digit out. I'm rather pleased though, as most things seem to be in the right place. Despite working on it for ages, I couldn't get the same contrasts as on the prototype shot, so if any of you who are better at photoshopping can get closer, please feel free to do so. All in all though, I  feel as though this is the closest I have got so far.

G'Day Folks

Some really great photo's on this page, the instant I saw the O1 towing a train tender first, I thought, ahhh, the Barford empties, and the B17 along side the platform, no more can be said. Brilliant.

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Our camerman is, of course, fixated by his new permit to stand on the Midland sidings when taking photos, so it isn't surprising that we get more views of the A5 in the bay from that vantage point.

post-98-0-86638400-1524213849_thumb.jpg

This one is a zoomy croppy one.

post-98-0-49551900-1524213901_thumb.jpg

followed by something more conventional. It's another lovely day, and I get to go chasing golf balls again later. :sungum: On Wednesday I was playing alongside the Leicester- Birmingham line, which seemed to employ nothing other than 170s and 66s. Today, if I were able to turn the clock back 61 years, I would be able to watch a B17 crossing the Trent on the Harwich- Liverpool boat train.  So, where am I playing golf today?

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Up that place called Torksey, just a tad east of the Trent, where they have recently reopened the river bridge/Viaduct as a Right of way and very nicely done it is too.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Up that place called Torksey, just a tad east of the Trent, where they have recently reopened the river bridge/Viaduct as a Right of way and very nicely done it is too.

P

'snot fair, cos you've got local knowledge. I should have thought of that.

• RMweb Premium

Yet more golf today, which my back says it does not wish to do. I agree with it, but it is a competition, so I have no choice. I'm drawn with a young man with a handicap of one, so I suspect I shall be hiiting my second shots from some distance behind him. Come to think of it, that might apply to my third shots too.

It is time for the Down West Riding, seen first as it swings under the bridge and round that severe curve.

attachicon.gifWR 1.JPG

and then from our new found longer range viewpoint.

attachicon.gifWR 3.JPG

i think that works, whereas the next one really doesn't.

attachicon.gifWR 2.JPG

The first one, framed by the tree, is a cracker.

• RMweb Premium

My back withdrew its support on the 14th hole, confirming that I have really been rather stupid this last few days. I now find I have only one image ready for viewing, but that will have to do, as I'm not up to preparing any more. It is the West Riding again, but now at the North end.

post-98-0-98546100-1524345120_thumb.jpg

Time for painkillers and bed.

• Like 11

My back withdrew its support on the 14th hole, confirming that I have really been rather stupid this last few days. I now find I have only one image ready for viewing, but that will have to do, as I'm not up to preparing any more. It is the West Riding again, but now at the North end.

attachicon.gifWR 4.JPG

Time for painkillers and bed.

Is it an odd camera effect or is that 3-doll bracket in the foreground a bit "skewy"? Cameras really are the most unforgiving devices, are they not?

Sorry to hear about the back - I know how debilitating back-pain can be. Osteopath? Mine is a wizard, although she has prescribed an exercise regime that costs me at least forty minutes every day.

Chaz 

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Is it an odd camera effect or is that 3-doll bracket in the foreground a bit "skewy"? Cameras really are the most unforgiving devices, are they not?

Sorry to hear about the back - I know how debilitating back-pain can be. Osteopath? Mine is a wizard, although she has prescribed an exercise regime that costs me at least forty minutes every day.

Chaz 

Chaz

Several contributory factors there Chaz. As you say, the camera is most unforgiving, and when it is given a chance to record a number of objects, all of which are probably nearly, but not perfectly, perpendicular, it will have fun. You are right about that bracket though, it has had a knock at some stage, and it is showing its age too. It is one of a number which are scheduled for replacement.

My Osteopath too is very good, but is treating my multiple problems very carefully, so I have to be patient. I've only just been allowed to start a couple of gentle exercises.

There have been a lot of first class photos recently, that were not available before as you now have new vantage points for the camera.

Looking at the one for the West Riding could I just ask how you fix the destination boards to your coaches, are they permanent or removable as I know you re-use some of the coaching stock in different formations.