Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

G'Day Folks

Put thine trust in a V2.

manna

Couldn't agree more when talking about the real thing, but this is an RTR loco with no added weight, and the majority of the train was made up of heavy kit built coaches, so I was pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Experimental images this morning. Green Arrow had to pull forward well off the platform to allow the rear of the train to access it. That's fine though, as the real thing had that problem too. I decided to try a shot from the inside of the train to give an impression of this, but the curvature is really too sharp for it to succeed.

post-98-0-22717800-1548235455_thumb.jpg

Then off from one end of the layout almost to the other to watch 90730 starting away on the last lap of its journey.

post-98-0-40638000-1548235560_thumb.jpg

This is mostly to see how the enhanced lighting is working, and it is certainly easier to photoshop now. I saw an advert for Tribright lamps on TV, and thought they might be a solution. They claim to give 30 hours battery life, so if that is correct and I remember only to turn them on when actually needed they should be worthwhile. Getting the back off to put the batteries in is a nightmare though.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

The WD has moved a little closer to journey's end.

post-98-0-26687600-1548281248_thumb.jpg

Nothing much else to be said about this.

The next shot, however, is of something of more interest. This is another Up West Riding express which I haven't been able to form correctly until now. It has several portions, including one from Ripon. Grantham's 60050 is at the head of twelve coaches, which we shall examine in more detail tomorrow.

post-98-0-71233500-1548281482_thumb.jpg

For now I shall ponder why it is that, even though I am looking down at the keyboard, my finger regularly chooses to hit the key next to the one at which it is aimed.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Persimmon has now reached the end of the platform, and the passengers are able to alight from and join the twelve coaches behind it. Meanwhile A2/2 Wolf of Badenoch comes through with a KX Goods - York parcels.

post-98-0-96720400-1548367854_thumb.jpg

I don't like the angle of the A2 on that curve at all, and of course the real thing wouldn't have stood a chance of getting round something that sharp without derailing.

Much better to stick to the tried and trusted rear three quarter view.

post-98-0-69152800-1548368002_thumb.jpg

though that means we can't have both locos in shot.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Golf club AGM tonight, which should be fun, but which will require some preparation, so I must get on.

There are photos in the bank though, so we can have another look at 60506 as it runs through.

post-98-0-80253300-1548406947_thumb.jpg

The signal won't perform any better than this at present,I'm afraid. Also, the DMU has reversed, as it was discovered that old Mrs Miggins hadn't managed to get across the footbridge, before it pulled away, and she needs to get back to Little Steeping in time to put her husband's dinner on.

Analysis of the stock behind Persimmon next, and a breakdown of how it gets put together.

post-98-0-34489500-1548407406_thumb.jpg

BCK and CK form the Ripon portion, and come from a dedicated cassette.

post-98-0-51259200-1548407485_thumb.jpg

The catering is FO RK, and is in the Leeds portion. These cars are added from loose stock in Road 2. Very few formations had kitchen cars by this time, but this was one of them.

post-98-0-60387800-1548407631_thumb.jpg

BSK TSO CK, again Leeds portion and from dedicated cassette.

post-98-0-45074300-1548407757_thumb.jpg

SK SK, again from cassette, and the start of the Bradford portion.

post-98-0-15101800-1548407855_thumb.jpg

and TSO CK BSO bring up the rear, yet another dedicated cassette used, and again part of the Bradford portion.

So, this requires four cassettes to be unloaded, and two bits of crane shunting. It all takes surprisingly little time, and it allows the correct formation to run. I can't see how this could be achieved otherwise. For instance, Bradford portions could be two cars occasionally, three or four often, and on this train only, five cars. You'd need a massive fiddle yard to store every one of those combinations, and an eye watering amount of stock. I rate this concept as the biggest step forward for the layout in several years.

Now, back to AGM preparation.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 15

Golf club AGM tonight, which should be fun, but which will require some preparation, so I must get on.

There are photos in the bank though, so we can have another look at 60506 as it runs through.

attachicon.gif6 506 2.JPG

The signal won't perform any better than this at present,I'm afraid. Also, the DMU has reversed, as it was discovered that old Mrs Miggins hadn't managed to get across the footbridge, before it pulled away, and she needs to get back to Little Steeping in time to put her husband's dinner on.

Analysis of the stock behind Persimmon next, and a breakdown of how it gets put together.

attachicon.gif1 ripon1.JPG

BCK and CK form the Ripon portion, and come from a dedicated cassette.

attachicon.gif2 Ripon 2.JPG

The catering is FO RK, and is in the Leeds portion. These cars are added from loose stock in Road 2. Very few formations had kitchen cars by this time, but this was one of them.

attachicon.gif3 Ripon 3.JPG

BSK TSO CK, again Leeds portion and from dedicated cassette.

attachicon.gif5 Ripon 5.JPG

SK SK, again from cassette, and the start of the Bradford portion.

attachicon.gif6 Ripon 6.JPG

and TSO CK BSO bring up the rear, yet another dedicated cassette used, and again part of the Bradford portion.

So, this requires four cassettes to be unloaded, and two bits of crane shunting. It all takes surprisingly little time, and it allows the correct formation to run. I can't see how this could be achieved otherwise. For instance, Bradford portions could be two cars occasionally, three or four often, and on this train only five cars. You'd need a massive fiddle yard to store every one of those combinations, and an eye watering amount of stock. I rate this concept as the biggest step forward for the layout in several years.

Now, back to AGM preparation.

Lovelly rake Gilbert. Though isn't the first picture "1 ripon 1.JPG" a BCK and an SK? 

I've been meaning to ask where do you get the details of the coach diagrams from. I've access to some of Robert Carrolls carriage workings but yours seem far more detailed.

Edited by davidw

• RMweb Premium

Lovelly rake Gilbert. Though isn't the first picture "1 ripon 1.JPG" a BCK and an SK? 

I've been meaning to ask where do you get the details of the coach diagrams from. I've access to some of Robert Carrolls carriage workings but yours seem far more detailed.

Actually David, it is BCK TSO. That is what it should be, and I had the official formation book open alongside me when I was typing, so how I managed to type CK instead I don't know.

The documents I have came from Brian Mc Dermott, and are Robert Carroll's copyright. He allows them to be printed out for individual's private information, or for that of non commercial enthusiast society or railway club, which I think legitimately includes this forum.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm weary folks. A long and fractious AGM, at which a load of seventy and eighty somethings turned up to vote down a proposition to allow proxy voting at future meetings. It seems we don't do democracy.

I'm off to bed, so just a photo of a lovely D16 to keep things going.

post-98-0-15751800-1548458543_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Is it my eyesight or has that lamp post had too much to drink as it looks like it is on the wonk?

As for your AGM, that is democracy. Old fellows voting to shape the future of the young when they themselves won't live long enough to see the benefits or problems their vote has caused. Happens all the time.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Is it my eyesight or has that lamp post had too much to drink as it looks like it is on the wonk?

As for your AGM, that is democracy. Old fellows voting to shape the future of the young when they themselves won't live long enough to see the benefits or problems their vote has caused. Happens all the time.

Something is Clive, and it probably is the lamp. They are not fixed in permanently, and sometimes they get knocked a bit.

As to democracy, well, we tried to get younger members to turn up just this once so that they could have a say in future without having to do so, but only a few turned up, so I suppose you could say that the result was partly their own fault. I know its the same all over, but the narrow minded selfishness still surprises and disappoints me.

• RMweb Premium

Load of old gits that have already f####d up the future for youngsters. Can you not get them culled by licence. Some sort of Golf Shoot at the 12th?

Was out until last evening but PM if yer needs to let rip.

We might get away with having one or two accidentally run over by the fairway mower, but any more than that and the rest might smell a rat. :jester:

• Like 2

I'm weary folks. A long and fractious AGM, at which a load of seventy and eighty somethings turned up to vote down a proposition to allow proxy voting at future meetings. It seems we don't do democracy.

You must have the patience of a saint!

I'm not a fan of 'a good walk spoiled', but I'd be inclined to 'leave 'em to it' - then when the consequences overwhelm them, come back to save them from themselves.

Sometimes, you can't achieve change until the nay-sayers get themselves literally up to their necks in the 'brown and smelly'.

In the meantime, enjoy life without the hassle of club politics.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

You must have the patience of a saint!

I'm not a fan of 'a good walk spoiled', but I'd be inclined to 'leave 'em to it' - then when the consequences overwhelm them, come back to save them from themselves.

Sometimes, you can't achieve change until the nay-sayers get themselves literally up to their necks in the 'brown and smelly'.

In the meantime, enjoy life without the hassle of club politics.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I'm the Club Chairman John, and I volunteered for it. I knew what it can involve, as I've done the job before. I've also been a member for half of my life now, and I couldn't contemplate walking away and seeing the place go downhill. I've one more year to do, and a very good Committee , who are equally determined, so I'm not pessimistic. I've also already thought of the next cunning plan to outwit them, which we shall discuss tomorrow.

• Like 3

I'm the Club Chairman John, and I volunteered for it. I knew what it can involve, as I've done the job before. I've also been a member for half of my life now, and I couldn't contemplate walking away and seeing the place go downhill. I've one more year to do, and a very good Committee , who are equally determined, so I'm not pessimistic. I've also already thought of the next cunning plan to outwit them, which we shall discuss tomorrow.

Do like a 'cunning plan.'