Bachy John Arnold 5 plank wagon

Gene

Just recieved 3 of the new Bachmann 5plank steel floored wagons lettered for John Arnold and Sons (#37-033) and I must say all 3 have very sloppy lettering...about the worst I've seen from Bachmann in 10 years...going to need lots and lots of weathering to hide it...quite disappointing.

BUT the the Bacchy Scenecraft depot crane looks great...I can't speak to the actual accuracy of it but it looks the ticket to my eyes.

Cheers

Gene

One of the plywood fruit van they releases a while agos had wonky lettering which, it turned out, was exactly as per the prototype. I haven't seen the PO wagon in question but I would wonder first whether Bachmann are simply reproducing flaws inherent on a particular prototype.

One of the plywood fruit van they releases a while agos had wonky lettering which, it turned out, was exactly as per the prototype.

But it was wonky on both sides. I doubt if the real van actually had this 'error' on both sides.

Interesting to hear that the lettering isn't great. I have a retailer here in Melbourne who once made custom Transfers. Once they really got in to doing the lettering they realised that as they were hand applied (IE the real ones) they all varied to quite and extent. So the wagons you have in the "John Arnold" livery are they all the same error or is it just one or 2 of the wagons that are wrong?

I ask seriously as it may be worth while keeping them if the individual variation is good as it is more prototypical. Though as 45568 said if you are not happy "send 'em back"

But it was wonky on both sides. I doubt if the real van actually had this 'error' on both sides.

Probably not but its not that common to have a view of both sides to go off, they probably just copy one picture and put it on both.

You'll have to renumber them anyway but it is annoying to redo the main wording.

all 3 wagons have the same "defect" in the lettering " John Arnold and Sons" on both sides of the wagons.

As for returning them...repacking and re-posting them from Canada back to the UK is more trouble and cost than its worth..I'll hide the defects with heavy weathering...its just unfortunate that quality-control has these kinds of lapses

Gene

PS...just checked the pic on the Hattons site...the problem is not noticeable

Archived