Heljan Cargo waggons

kiwitrains

Anybody got any of these, my problems are the couplings well they don't couple there is a lot of slack in the bar from the wagon anybody tried any other method of coupling and derailment they seem to be too light can weight be put on them? very disappointed actually costing 25 quid a time and they do seem to be on par with Lima

Generally, I replace all the Heljan cranked couplings with straight Bachmann or Hornby ones - that applies to locos and wagons. My CargoWaggons run fine as is, although I took a leaf out of Gwiwer's book and narrowed the side steps in the centre of each wagon by about 1mm (tight clearances on my layout).

Anybody got any of these, my problems are the couplings well they don't couple there is a lot of slack in the bar from the wagon anybody tried any other method of coupling and derailment they seem to be too light can weight be put on them? very disappointed actually costing 25 quid a time and they do seem to be on par with Lima

I couple mine with the Hornby close couplers (R8220). This has cured both the slack and derailment problems on mine.

Thanks for the replies tried the Hornby close coupling ones but no good they don't even line up, the Bachmann ones are a improvement and seem to work fairly well but the problem still exists I am going to try some weight in them and see what happens if no good they will be on Ebay.unsure.gif

• 2 months later...

I had probs with my cargowaggons straight out of the box with the coupling cam mechanism jamming and then eventually falling out on one of mine - requiring stripping the model to reassemble. During reassembly I cleaned up the cam mechanism of rough edges and things have been better but I do find the whole set up frustratingly fragile. Mine are running on Kadees now for which at least the NEM pocket is about the right height.

Matt

I am so glad I read this. I have recently bought two Heljan Dogfish wagons and had the same trouble as Kiwitrains reported with the Cargowagons - failure to couple with each other or other wagons, couplings catching the rails over points, derailing when shunting. I have been considering replacing the couplings with Kadees but that means doing all rolling stock and the locos (or keeping separate batches of stock) as they're not compatible with TLCs. Then I read SRman's comment and gave it a try. What a result! The plastic on the Bachmann's seems to be a bit thicker and it raises the bar quite a bit. I don't want to hijack this topic but I think perhaps the advice should be posted under Hints and Tips.

Many thanks.

Harold.

• RMweb Premium
I took a leaf out of Gwiwer's book and narrowed the side steps

As one of my mods has been mentioned I'll mention the other one as well.

I have a rake of five Cargowaggons which used to derail at the slightest excuse (or at none) and to randomly part company with each other or with the loco; they could never be put at the front of a train with anything hooked on behind them. Not any more. They are now part of one of the best freight trains I own.

The side steps are a trifle wide for many layouts but will accept being shaved back with a scalpel by around 1mm and the colour made good if necessary. I simply ran a soft-leaded pencil over the cut edges and it looks fine. I also took the scalpel to the moulding inside the wagon ends which diverts the coupler bar left or right. Shave as much of the central point off as you can. The couplers then have nothing to catch on and stick one way or the other. I found this cured the derailing and the uncoupling at a stroke.

All Heljan items have droopy couplers to some extent. It's worse on locos such as their class 33 Cromptons. But I now have no problem coupling the Cargowaggons to a Bachmann loco and attaching Hornby wagons behind which are fitted with the older style giant hook and loop.

As SRman will perhaps remember from visiting my layout when we had four UKF bogie vans on the front and six 4-wheel PCA's on the back with the Cargowaggons between.

• 6 years later...

Hi all,

It's been a while since any new Heljan Cargowaggons in 00 gauge have been released. Is it likely Heljan will do any re-runs (weathered or otherwise) - although you can find the odd one on Ebay.

Is there any potential for any new liveries that would be worth producing?

May have to make some enquirers at the Heljan stand at Warley......

Archived