Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

MBA Comparison Shots

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

Some comparison shots of the Bachmann, (occasionally) Hurst (kit) and Dapol MBA.

General views - pretty comparable for the "train set" "I don't care" modeller

Bachmann

post-6662-128057700345_thumb.jpg

Hurst

post-6662-128057700766_thumb.jpg

Dapol

post-6662-128057699958_thumb.jpg

Inside - I prefer the Dapol light rust colour.

Bachmann - Grey

post-6662-128057704902_thumb.jpg

Dapol - Rusty

post-6662-128057706429_thumb.jpg

Ends

Bachmann

post-6662-128057716667_thumb.jpg

Hurst

post-6662-128057717212_thumb.jpg

Dapol

post-6662-128057716947_thumb.jpg

Underframe

Dapol to top, Bachmann (*much* better, bottom)

post-6662-128057726759_thumb.jpg

post-6662-128057735536_thumb.jpg

Bogies

Bachmann - nice

post-6662-128057740834_thumb.jpg

Dapol - not nice

post-6662-128057740562_thumb.jpg

post-6662-128057747246_thumb.jpg

Brake wheel

Bachmann (with brakes "on")

post-6662-128057753041_thumb.jpg

Dapol

Bachmann (with brakes "off")

post-6662-128057757137_thumb.jpg

Takes your pic, imho the Hurst kit produces the best overall model, the Bachmann is very good but the buffer beam on the bufferless ones is very poor and the Dapol one has too many fundamental mistakes for my liking.

hth

Interestingly, the Farish MBA has almost exactly the same interior colour as the Dapol OO example (which is, I agree, much better than the grey).

The scrap load in the Hurst model is excellent: is it scratchbuilt? I take it you don't have any Inter-City kits?

Jim

Interestingly, the Farish MBA has almost exactly the same interior colour as the Dapol OO example (which is, I agree, much better than the grey).

The scrap load in the Hurst model is excellent: is it scratchbuilt? I take it you don't have any Inter-City kits?

Jim

I would also like to know how you did the loads i am producing a rake of Dapol / Bachmann models & i would like to fill them with scrap .

Simon.

The loads are a base of platicard, covered in wagon loads I bought from the USA a few years back, not sure if it's still available - have a look on eBay.

hth

Thanks for that. I doubt that there's as much available in N as in OO (or HO for that matter), but I'll have a look around. I might just go for making my own.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that. I doubt that there's as much available in N as in OO (or HO for that matter), but I'll have a look around. I might just go for making my own.

Jim

I made the actual scrap yard waste materials myself, I got a load of kit offcuts, and some plastic bits like pipes etc, cut them up, sprayed them rusty and then dropped them into a plastic bag, containing paint powders of rusty hues - and shook 1

(I've just had a look on eBay and can't find it anymore, it was all done for charity and came from the States, that much I remember - sorry.

The etched ones ? yes, we have some, but not made up.

I don't blame you. I bought one when I was having my brief flirtation with 4mm. In the flat it was a thing of beauty (except maybe the bogies) but it scared the bejeezus out of me and I ended up selling it through the RMWeb classifieds.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

I'm thinking about buying some of the Bachmann versions.

I assume the buffer fitted versions always go at the ends of a rake, but does there tend to be a mix of buffer fitted / not fitted versions in the middle of a rake or are they all no-buffer versions ?

Seems to vary, we had buffered + 3 X non buffered + buffered (5) as a rake but I photographed some in London recently which were a lot more mixed up.

It's related quite a bit to motive power and whether they are running in a block train or with other vehicle types, they were built with numbers that equated to 5 vehicle sets (outer, 3x inner, outer) but nowadays that's a bit irrelevant - as long as the motive power is an EWS 66 with knuckle couplers and the train is a block train of MBAs the loco can couple directly to any vehicle so most of the scrap rakes are now randomly mixed.

If you're using a few in an "Enterprise" working or powering the train with a 60 for instance you'll need to either have a buffer fitted one on the end(s) or use a coupling adapter wagon (quite often spare BRA steel wagon!)

They've visited London on and off over the years on scrap and aggregates traffic, there are scrap flows via London now which use them, but noticing your user name you might not call that "south east" wink.gif

I think they have got to Sheerness on scrap though.

• RMweb Gold

Ta Dave - looks like you just avoided being bowled from that signal aspect! biggrin.gif

It clears a good 5 mins before the stopper gets in - had time to photograph every wagon in the train before the unit arrived B)

• 3 months later...

Hi Dave,

Just read this thread and; I know I'm posting late on thesubject - not my modelling era (at the moment) - but I'd just like to say a quick thanks for posting photos of  the different options available to modellers.

I'd read elsewhere about the Bachmann v Dapol underframe differences but your close-up studies of the two are enlightning.

Hope to say hello at Wigan.

Andy

Archived