The Maxwell Colliery Loading Point

grid56104

Hi

I too am interested in coal traffic so am interested in seeing this layout progress. Do you plan on making the loading bunker operational?

At one point I was planning on modelling Liverpool Bulk Terminal and thought of ways to make the loading tower operational. One idea was to make a reloadable box which would be filled with woodland scenics coal/cinders ballast and make some form of electronic opening doors which when open would allow the coal/ballast to fall by gravity into the wagons. It would be complex but would add such a huge amount of realism to this type of layout. Keep the updates coming B)

Lewis

Lewis - the photos of the mock up tower (earlier postings show the mock up) show what I hope to do ie the coal (the woodland scenics coal you refer to) is dropped via a hole in the backscene at the top of the tower and into the wagons below. I intend to use the peco inspection pits (suitably cut out) along with slots in the baseboard either side of the track (all concealed by the tower itself) to catch surplus coal that misses the wagons and collect same in an underboard container. The theory works, the practice remains to be seen. The tower will be on baseboard 3 which is the one that will be after the corner board shown in todays photos. The final intention is that an empty wagon set is pulled under the tower and the loaded wagons (just like the real thing) come out the other side. The loco uncouples, draws forward into the headshunt release, runs round the wagon set, recouples and then takes the full train away. Simple!!!!

Max Fowler

Lewis - the photos of the mock up tower (earlier postings show the mock up) show what I hope to do ie the coal (the woodland scenics coal you refer to) is dropped via a hole in the backscene at the top of the tower and into the wagons below. I intend to use the peco inspection pits (suitably cut out) along with slots in the baseboard either side of the track (all concealed by the tower itself) to catch surplus coal that misses the wagons and collect same in an underboard container. The theory works, the practice remains to be seen. The tower will be on baseboard 3 which is the one that will be after the corner board shown in todays photos. The final intention is that an empty wagon set is pulled under the tower and the loaded wagons (just like the real thing) come out the other side. The loco uncouples, draws forward into the headshunt release, runs round the wagon set, recouples and then takes the full train away. Simple!!!!

Max Fowler

Sounds really interesting and i love the concept. Ive done alot of skulking round old Collieries and loading points in the past few years and you really get a feeling for the place. Lounge disposal point is down by me which is a similar concept to what your building and the tracks all still in situe just sadly nothing else but wasteland.

Regarding loaded wagons appearing out the other side... coal that missed could end up on the wagons rather than in them and fall off elsewhere on your layout slowly building up and then perhaps fouling tracks. Obviously regular sucking up may help but have you considered dropping fully made up loads into the wagons instead of pouring it in? A simple easily removable load could just be popped in as it passes through the loading point and stop any worrying about overspill. Just a thought like although your idea sounds more fun!

Cheers and good luck! Scott.

By making a narrow shaft for the coal to fall down the majority should end up in the wagons with only minimal excess spilling onto the tracks. But if fine or medium coal was used then there wouldnt be an issue with it affecting the trains.

the intention is to make the shaft as narrow as possible and have the shape of the hole be slightly smaller than the wagons themselves thereby trying to minimise spillage. Any there is would sit on the wagons as in real life etc.

as this has been another long weekend, I got the second board (corner board) framed up and plywood trackbase put on. Have also laid cork and some trackwork (peco code 75 as opposed to code 100 on St Ann's Depot) on the first board. The green paint is only being used to help seal the plywood!!!

as real work beckons again progress will be a little slower for a while!

Max Fowler

post-9544-0-38554100-1304287533_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-04522100-1304287549_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-05402200-1304287565_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-91284000-1304287579_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

a day on a stand at the Kyle MRC show on Saturday at Saltcoats/Stevenston allowed me to get the basic frame of the loading tower built - refer attached. Still work to do to develop the actual chute within and then add the cladding etc.

previous weekend and one night last week allowed tracks to be laid on board 2 - the curved one - and the track supports and ply base constructed for board 3 - the one with the tower - refer photos below. The shot of board 3 with no tower on it shows where the peco inspection pits are going (in the middle) and these have been cut along the base along with the 2 other slots - either side of same - hidden within the tower structure - to capture surplus coal that miss the wagons as they are filled. I will have an appropriate container under the board to collect the surplus material for re-use.

I have a weeks holiday coming up second week in June so hopefully get a bit more progress carried out that week. Future updates to follow.

Max Fowler

post-9544-0-88005400-1306173839_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-29157400-1306173859_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-59090800-1306173881_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-27520100-1306173902_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-25635100-1306173921_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

some shots taken today of progress to date. I am on holiday all this week coming so hope to advance even further.

the board with the leg in the middle will be joined to a 'split board' ie the framing over half the length of the board will be at the height of these boards and the other half will be at the 'track level' as this next board will tie in with the fiddle yard boards which of course are at 'track height'.

with the addition of the split board I will have a shortened version of my 'overall plan'. The overall plan boards will be worked on as soon as more resources (ie money!!) become available.

further update next weekend when I should have the full 'shortened' version complete re basic framing.

Max Fowler

post-9544-0-33561100-1307214550_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-29817500-1307214570_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-55739000-1307214591_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-64868000-1307214609_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-33800400-1307214625_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Glimpsed the loader on theDEMU stand at Kyle's Ayrshire exhibition - didn't realise until now that there was a layout to go along with it! Not sure how I've missed this thread before now, but will now be a watched one.

Had a quick look at Knockshinnoch last year, or rather the site of. A pretty thourough removal job, unfortunately.

Think I read somewhere about, or saw at an exhibition, the use of loose material for coal. Something about it being a material that didn't create a dusty mess. Offhand can't think what it was they were using though!

If your loose coal loading doesn't work then putting loads in from the back might work, but here's something to avoid - I was doing some loads for 16T minerals using Parkside loads and thought making them removal with a magnet would be a good idea, so I araldited big penny washers to the underside of the plastic load. However, when I use a magnet to remove them it wants to go to one side of the load, rather than stay central. Obvious when you think about it!

Last thought - if you post anymore prototype pictures could you caption where they are? Some of the ones you have posted are familiar, but others weren't even although I assume they are all in Scotland?

Cheers,

26power

I have a bag of black aquarium stones in a range of sizes from 2mm to 4mm which would be ideal except they are a bit shiny. But there is no dust and the look is fairly close to coal. You would need a way of emptying the wagons afterwards which I assume will happen behind the scenes anyway?

Going back to the track plan you have posted - there are a couple of peninsula boards which don't appear to connect with the other side and indeed the full run of boards doesn't appear to connect to create a roundy. Have I got it wrong or is this going to be point to point?

Glimpsed the loader on theDEMU stand at Kyle's Ayrshire exhibition - didn't realise until now that there was a layout to go along with it! Not sure how I've missed this thread before now, but will now be a watched one.

Last thought - if you post anymore prototype pictures could you caption where they are? Some of the ones you have posted are familiar, but others weren't even although I assume they are all in Scotland?

Cheers,

26power

unsure how to add captions to the photos but for those that are interested the details of photos on posts to date are:

31 July posting - 2 x 37 at Knockshinnoch at New Cumnock, 1 x 37 at Blindwells near Tranent, 2 x 37 at Ravenstruther near Carstairs, 56 (hidden under loade) at Knockshinnoch, 1 x 60 at Knockshinnoch and 1 x 70 at Ravenstruther

2 August posting - 2 x 37 at Knockshinnoch, 2 x 20 near Kinglassie (on the Westfield Branch)

3 August posting - 2 x 37 at Waterside (on the Chlamerston Branch), 2 x 37 near Annbank (on the Killoch Branch), 1 x 26 near Millerhill (on the Bilston Glen/Loanhead Branch), 1 x 66/5 near Hillhouse (on the Chalmerston Branch), 1 x 66/5 near Patna (on the Chalmerston Branch), 1 x 66/5 near Hillhouse (on the Chalmerston Branch) - on the return run and 1 x 66/5 near Kincardine (on the Alloa/Longannet Line).

Max

I have a bag of black aquarium stones in a range of sizes from 2mm to 4mm which would be ideal except they are a bit shiny. But there is no dust and the look is fairly close to coal. You would need a way of emptying the wagons afterwards which I assume will happen behind the scenes anyway?

Going back to the track plan you have posted - there are a couple of peninsula boards which don't appear to connect with the other side and indeed the full run of boards doesn't appear to connect to create a roundy. Have I got it wrong or is this going to be point to point?

I looked at (and tried on the mock up) aquarium stones but they are too heavy. I am using 'Green Scene' Coal which is light and very effective looking.

the layout will ultimately be a large 'u' with the loading tower at one end and the fiddle yard at the other. The shortened version I am working on just now is an inverted 'l' shape.

Max

managed to get the main basis of the 'split board' undertaken today although I have found that I need to stiffen either side of the drop section of plywood that links the 2 frames as it is quite fexible. Also need to 'bridge the gap' between the solid plywood and the board which has been painted green.

Max

post-9544-0-12939300-1307396807_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-89744500-1307396824_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the photo info Max - it was the pastoral Alloa - Kincardine that foxed me.

re captions, I was assuming text could be inserted under each picture when the message was being drafted, but as I haven't done that I'm not sure!

A possible alternative is to use the free programme below to put a caption, copyright info etc. on your picture. It does quite a few other things as well. Not bad for nowt! No connection, just found it did what I wanted and think it deserves to be better known.

http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

Cheers,

26power

my week off work has been somewhat spoiled by the heavy showers but in between I have managed to get some more work completed on the 'split board' between the main openframe and the fiddle yard and track laid on boards 3 and 4. The attached photos show an overall view of boards 3, 4 and 5 (which is the split board). Track is fixed on boards 3 and 4 but only laid out on the split board to show how it will run into the fiddle yard and some proposed 'disconnected' tracks which have been lifted or overgrown. I have also shown a cose up of the use of the Peco inspection pits below (and the holes either side of the track) under the coal loader. These holes will hopefully let any coal that misses the wagons to drop into a collector tray under the boards.

hope at the weekend to get the track on the split board laid to allow a start to wiring in the next few weeks.

Max

post-9544-0-10603500-1307656101_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-47238400-1307656119_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-00635400-1307656137_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

as I return to work on Monday, here is the latest update of my 'shortened' version of The Maxwell Colliery Loading Tower.

All basic track now laid. Refer to attached photos. Fiddle yard has still 2 other boards to be added but garden aint big enough!!!! size is 8 feet (starting from the headshunt) x 16 feet scenic boards plus 11 feet of fiddle yard. All scenic boards are 18 inches wide. Fiddle yard 1 foot wide. Total board area - just under 50 sq ft. next step (when time and money permits) is basic wiring and purchase of 4 tortoise point motors for the 4 points on the scenic boards.

Max Fowler

post-9544-0-12954800-1307815369_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-77620100-1307815385_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-15223800-1307815401_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-54313800-1307815418_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-56669700-1307815432_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

been a bit quiet of late - real work getting in the way of the hobby again!! However have managed (given the weekend weather) to get the ply sides added to most of the boards. Will post up some pics later this week.

Max

Hi

Just found this thread, looks like a good project and i look forward to seeing it progress, a layout dedicated to coal is good as it is (or was ) probably the major freight flow in much of the country, good to see it being represented. I've also had the idea of modelling a rapid loading bunker that works, i presume you've checked it but it looks like it'll be a squeeze to get a HTA or HHA hopper through the opening, or is that the idea? Looking good!

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

been a bit quiet of late - real work getting in the way of the hobby again!! However have managed (given the weekend weather) to get the ply sides added to most of the boards. Will post up some pics later this week.

Max

the promised pictures at last - better late than never. Joints between boards not fully tightened hence differences in levels.

Next action is to strengthen up all the sides and then start the wiring!! Off work from 29 August for a week to get moving on it again and to check St Ann's Depot for the Ayr show.

Max

post-9544-0-64381700-1313167122_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-89155300-1313167140_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-41719800-1313167159_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-91793100-1313167179_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-60498400-1313167197_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-03596600-1313167219_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-32983200-1313167240_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-44608700-1313167253_thumb.jpg

• Like 4