Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

Railfanning in the USA - the 2010 foam

merlin46

Hi Rmwebbers

This a picture essay of a 14 day trip around the Mid-West with my Good Buddy Tony Sissons, which will hopefully be of interest to USA modellers on RMweb & even better entice more of you to US Railroad Modelling :D.

We captured the usual large amount of images, so if there is anything that you would like expanded on with more detail then please do not be afraid to ask as I am sure that amongst us we can help :rolleyes:

I will move though the photo essay on a day by day basis.

Here we go!

Day 1

In June 2010 I flew out from Manchester to Chicago then onward to Kansas City where I teamed up with Tony then onward for the usual evening beer & BS :blink:

Day 2 part 1

When I first visited Kansas City back in 1997 it started with poor weather & 13 years later it was no different:angry:. As when we left the hotel down came the rain! However with today's digital equipment it does not stop one photting :lol:

The rain was really tipping it down, but fortunately by the time we hit downtown Kansas City it was starting to ease.

post-2011-128069052593_thumb.jpg

post-2011-128069089712_thumb.jpg

Hi Tim,

Atmospheric photos! Those NS units sure look mean!

I take it that you were in Kansas City, Missouri?

I would be particularly interested to see if you got any photos of KCS units or indeed, Arkansas & Missouri units!?!

Looking forward to any other pictures you may post.

Cheers,

John E.

Hi Tim,

Atmospheric photos! Those NS units sure look mean!

I take it that you were in Kansas City, Missouri?

I would be particularly interested to see if you got any photos of KCS units or indeed, Arkansas & Missouri units!?!

Looking forward to any other pictures you may post.

Cheers,

John E.

Hi John

Yes, we captured a few KCS units, but no A&M:-(

These will follow as the trip unfolds  :blink:

HTH

Tim

Is that an ex Conrail dash 8 as the third unit in the NS consist? Don't that cab/livery combination look odd compared to the dash 9 in the front with the high number boards.

Nice stuff so far, look forward to seeing the updates. smile.gif

Hi Martyn

It sure is a Dash 8:-)

Tim

Don't that cab/livery combination look odd compared to the dash 9 in the front with the high number boards.

You're right there Martyn. Since the great takeover in June 1999 I've seen hundreds of ex CR wide cab 8's and in NS black those low number boards look silly against all the rest of NS wide cabs. I still can't get my eye around them still after all these years on, but they are easy to ID because of the low boards. :P

I think Tim's efforts here, processing literally hundreds of images - if he does, is going to be very worthwhile, unquestionably enjoyable. I'm looking forward to viewing the shots that I didn't shoot, he being in the photographers seat and me in the drivers seat. That first image of his, the BNSF jobbie at Lydia, was one of them.

Good shot Tim, especially in the near dark conditions. :good_mini: :clapping_mini:

Am I permitted to post (day -1) while you were drinking beer at ORD waiting for your connection to KC....? :biggrin_mini2: :biggrin_mini2:

Cheers, Tony

You're right there Martyn. Since the great takeover in June 1999 I've seen hundreds of ex CR wide cab 8's and in NS black those low number boards look silly against all the rest of NS wide cabs. I still can't get my eye around them still after all these years on, but they are easy to ID because of the low boards. :P

I think Tim's efforts here, processing literally hundreds of images - if he does, is going to be very worthwhile, unquestionably enjoyable. I'm looking forward to viewing the shots that I didn't shoot, he being in the photographers seat and me in the drivers seat. That first image of his, the BNSF jobbie at Lydia, was one of them.

Good shot Tim, especially in the near dark conditions. :good_mini: :clapping_mini:

Am I permitted to post (day -1) while you were drinking beer at ORD waiting for your connection to KC....? :biggrin_mini2: :biggrin_mini2:

Cheers, Tony

Sure thing Tony, just fill your boots & the screen as well biggrin.gif

Day 2 part 2

Here are a couple more down in the West Bottoms of KC in the murk of the rain, at least it was warm :D This is a BNSF West bound mixed manifest freight headed by two Pumpkins & a Swosh :blink:

Enjoy

Tim

post-2011-128076966785_thumb.jpg

post-2011-128076968408_thumb.jpg

Hi Tim

Nice pictures...looking forward to more of them. When did you go, or are you still out there and sending us pics day at a time.??

Bob

No...just went back and had another look at pics, they are dated early june....so I assume your back, and just teasing us with a few pics every day or so. How long were you out there for. Was it Tornado time when you were out there.

Hi Tim

Nice pictures...looking forward to more of them. When did you go, or are you still out there and sending us pics day at a time.??

Bob

No...just went back and had another look at pics, they are dated early june....so I assume your back, and just teasing us with a few pics every day or so. How long were you out there for. Was it Tornado time when you were out there.

Hi Bob

I was out there for 14 days & travelled some 2500 mile with my good buddy Tony Sissons who kindly chaffeured me aroundbiggrin.gif

Yep there a few hundred images to process so it will take me sometime to post them outcool.gif

As they say all good things are worth waiting for.

Pleased that you are enjoying them.

All the best

Tim

A mere 2500 miles eh.? I remember being stopped for speeding in Utah, the cop explained that I must allow more time for my journeys, and that the whole of the UK would most probably fit into Utah.

So patience is a virtue then...we are just gonna have to wait a while you tantalise us with more offerings at intervals. If the sample so far are anything to go by, it'll be worth waiting for. I dont model US, but wow I can see the attraction...Big Locos, Big Trains....awesome power.

I remember fondly my Canadian trip....from Vancouver by motorhome up to Banff, passing through Kamloops and Revelstoke...then "The Big Hill" as they call it, including the spiral tunnels. Really p....d off my wife when we spent all one day watching trains go in and out of the tunnels.

Anyway....I'm looking forward to the story unfolding.

Look forward to catching up again at some time,

Bob.

Waiting for Tim to arrive at KC airport, due in late afternoon, I spent my day where one should spend a day - down by the tracks. So this

is Tim's day one minus one, or most of it. He belonged to the airlines for most of the day and had to do what they said until he exited the

pipe at KC airport, that's when he got his life back. Don't we all know that feeling.

As Tim explained in his previous post we experienced rain, was the same for me during the day I spent until it was time to pick him up.

I shot a couple of pix that were of interest to me and hope they are of interest to some of you guys. The first a rare bird these days, a CNW

liveried wide cab. The big deal here was the remarkably good condition of the paint job. This C44CW was in pushing mode. The other

interesting shot I captured out of the many was this WAMX SW1500 badged for the KCT - Kansas City Terminal.

post-6847-128127751695_thumb.jpg

post-6847-12812775527_thumb.jpg

Over to Tim.

Cheers, Tony

Day 2 Part 3

Hi Gents

He are couple more images from the West Bottoms of KC. The first is of a tatty patch painted 9-44CW & the second is of a West bound Borg (UP) intermodal.

Hope you enjoy

Tim

post-2011-128152338563_thumb.jpg

post-2011-128152381883_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Gents

Here we go again with a further selection from Day 2. It was lunchtime so off to McDs next to the BNSF Argentine Yard & then a bit of yard foamin, by this time the sun started to break through.

Hope you like the images.

Tim

post-2011-054669100 1284407538_thumb.jpg

post-2011-019766800 1284407553_thumb.jpg

post-2011-002807900 1284407571_thumb.jpg

post-2011-086640300 1284407587_thumb.jpg

Been digging on BNSF2036, it was built in 1966 as Canadian pacific's last GP35 where I think it would have been delivered in their old maroon and grey, worked in CP Rail red for most of it's life, then spent a little time as a Progress Rail leaser before being rebuilt to GP38-2 specs for BNSF.

Love that kind of history on modern loco's - thanks for the pics. B)

Been digging on BNSF2036, it was built in 1966 as Canadian pacific's last GP35 where I think it would have been delivered in their old maroon and grey, worked in CP Rail red for most of it's life, then spent a little time as a Progress Rail leaser before being rebuilt to GP38-2 specs for BNSF.

Love that kind of history on modern loco's - thanks for the pics. B)

Hi Martyn

I am always surprised by BNSF rebuilds & the history of that one is like so many 4 axle power that they still own & use.

Thanx for the info

Tim

Hi Gents

Here is the last selection of images from Day 2. Unfortunately the weather deteriorated in the afternoon so it was time to head back to the hotel via the West Bottoms & KCS Knoche Yard before the deluge of rain meant we had to head to the barbiggrin.gif

Tim

post-2011-020974600 1284496002_thumb.jpg

post-2011-031926500 1284496059_thumb.jpg

post-2011-063604400 1284496093_thumb.jpg

post-2011-025162100 1284496119_thumb.jpg

post-2011-013706300 1284496159_thumb.jpg

post-2011-086320400 1284496174_thumb.jpg

post-2011-040267800 1284496231_thumb.jpg

post-2011-002157700 1284496250_thumb.jpg

post-2011-079410700 1284496263_thumb.jpg

post-2011-073215100 1284496305_thumb.jpg

post-2011-063799500 1284496358_thumb.jpg

post-2011-083732200 1284496374_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Gents

It's been a few months now since I last posted & since my work commitments have now reduced it is time to get down by the tracks again to continue the foam of 2010.

Here is the start of Day 3 with some old & new Kansas City Southern locos.

Enjoy!

Tim Rogers

post-2011-051247600 1291567370_thumb.jpg

post-2011-087313400 1291567380_thumb.jpg

Archived