OO9 Uncouplers

JZjr

Hello, I am starting a very small amount of OO9 modelling and could do with some sort of uncoupler, I have seen the Peco SL-430 offering, but really want something that doesn't involve going near to the uncoupler unit. If that makes sence!

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

For hands-free operation, the best option is Greenwich couplings (google for "greenwich couplings" ;-). Use these to replace the existing couplings, and fit magnets in the track. Several suppliers, of whom Parkside Dundas and Nigel Lawton come to mind. They are somewhat fiddly to assemble - I keep putting off building some more after I managed to build a couple for test purposes. You can probably adapt Paul Windle's couplings in a similar way. Some people use the fixed magnets, I believe others use electromagnets. If you are using any coupling of this sort, it's probably best to only fit the loops at one end (if you can ensure the stock is never reversed).

There are also people who like the N-gauge equivalent of the kadee coupler (I forget the brand name), Very different, and incompatible with 'Bemo' couplings. I believe the electromagnets also have to be oriented differently with these.

ĸen

For hands-free operation, the best option is Greenwich couplings (google for "greenwich couplings" ;-). Use these to replace the existing couplings, and fit magnets in the track. Several suppliers, of whom Parkside Dundas and Nigel Lawton come to mind. They are somewhat fiddly to assemble - I keep putting off building some more after I managed to build a couple for test purposes. You can probably adapt Paul Windle's couplings in a similar way. Some people use the fixed magnets, I believe others use electromagnets. If you are using any coupling of this sort, it's probably best to only fit the loops at one end (if you can ensure the stock is never reversed).

There are also people who like the N-gauge equivalent of the kadee coupler (I forget the brand name), Very different, and incompatible with 'Bemo' couplings. I believe the electromagnets also have to be oriented differently with these.

ĸen

Paul Windle's couplings are a bit larger than the Greenwich ones but are much easier to assemble and more robust. Magnetic operation was thought of at the initial design stage and his instructions do also include how and where to fit an iron dropper wire for magnetic operation.

Choice is realy down to where your priority is between appearance/ease of assembly/reliability/robustness...

Archived