Horsted Keynes - East Grinstead, OO

Bluebell Model Railway

Hey all, thought I'd start a new topic on my layout which was on the old RM web, but since then alot has changed.

Brief Background of the Layout todate:
I returned to the hobby in 2006, and after some thinking of what to base the layout on, I settled on the Bluebell Railway. I chose Horsted Keynes as there was a nice flexability in the running, shunting and and general running, but most important many sidings for storage, which was key due to my plan to expand my collection.
Mid 2006 the layout was built in my room, and was generally complete at the end of the year. Built on a very low budget due to a loss of job, the stations were built from Block board, with card kits and the canopy was held up with match sticks to begin with.

Over the years the layout has been continually upgraded and modified with in the budget, Die cast Canopy supports were used to replace the match sticks, following this Peco subways were installed.

In May 2009 the layout couldn't grow any further due to the limitation of space in my room, the layout was moved in 3 sections at the end of May outside to the shed. The plan was to expand the layout to outside in a loop formation with another small layout on the otherside of the shed. This layout was to be loosley based on the new station for the Bluebell, East Grinstead.

The complete loop was completed in August. After fixing some minor problems, the layouts were closed down for Winter and maintance and updates were planned. The updates included widening Horsted Keynes to accomodate a new station building (Wills kit), and scratch building the carriage and wagon Workshop which at this time is still under construction.

Here are some images from the updated Layout:
14790114603_2c5ecffde5_c.jpg
23736654519_fd161505ee_c.jpg
19389272500_ba76676a87_c.jpg29648618660_0598e79545_c.jpg
33432048260_17ec146645_c.jpg

Comments welcome as always biggrin.gif

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway
  • Like 2

Hi Simon good to here from you!

In responce to your question, the name boards on the layout all of them, are made from scratch. Most on Horsted are made of 2 match sticks, and one ice cream stick.

The new ones on East Grinstead station are made using the same principals, Again an ice cream stick is used as the main name board, but using sticks borrowed from Mac donalds (which are used for teas and coffee's) are used as the posts at each end.

Im hoping to change the ones presently on Horsted for the newer type.

I'm presently building a new shed for storage of coaches which is being made with the same sticks.

Images soon.

Hope this answers your question. smile.gif

Update: 7th November

Taking a break out from working on a friends layout, Wenchford, Ive been progressing slowly with updates and fixing various faults around the layout during the winter break.

So far Ive repair 2 points, and replaced one completely. The point which was replace is the last remaining Standard point on the layout, was at the North end of platform 4 + 5. This point has been changed for a streamlined left hand point enabling the longer wheel base locos to use the platforms.

Work on the Carriage and Wagon workshop is still on going, progress has been slow but stead, the structure is now complete and painting is underway, windows are still to be completed, and fixtures and fittings added.

100_7131.jpg

100_7121.jpg

100_7128.jpg

100_7170.jpg

100_7175.jpg

• Like 1

I really like this layout, despite not really being the biggest fan of kettles it reminds me of summers in sunny sussex!

We used to visit my mums relatives in Forest Row and you can see a lot of the themes of small towns like this on your layout

Cheers,

Neil

Thanks Owen, kind of you to say.

I love the Bluebell railway to mainly why i built the layout, as I can't get to the place very oftern to enjoy it. The Adams radial (Which isn;t featured in this thread) hasn't turned a wheel yet, its still away as its had some issues, and the preoblem was beyond my ability to fix, so a good friend of mine from the club is having alook at it, I hope it will run one day smile.gif

Thanks for your comment

Thanks Owen, kind of you to say.

I love the Bluebell railway to mainly why i built the layout, as I can't get to the place very oftern to enjoy it. The Adams radial (Which isn;t featured in this thread) hasn't turned a wheel yet, its still away as its had some issues, and the preoblem was beyond my ability to fix, so a good friend of mine from the club is having alook at it, I hope it will run one day smile.gif

Thanks for your comment

Matt, this layout really captures the feel of the Bluebell so well, and the carriage shed and repair works look so like the real thing - a very impressive effort at scratch building if I may say so!

Out of interest, where did you get the Adams Radial, and also, what ballast have you used? I've been looking for something like that colour myself but keep coming up against greys and blacks.

Mighty, Thanks for your comment. It was my ambition to set out to create the atmosphere or feel of the bluebell railway. My layout may not be 100% accurate, nor the new buildings accurate... but it it looks to me like the buildings on the Bluebell and at a glance most people recognise it. biggrin.gif

As for your Questions:

Adams Radial was a K's kit with a white metel body. This was brought from ebay, it was going cheap so i brought it, repainted to L.S.W.R pea green, and found a number of things weren't right. tried to fix the problems myself but i only have limited knowledge on this so i gave in and seeked help. Its needed alot of work more than thought and I apprciate the help Graham is giving me.

Which Ballast are you refering? Horsted's ballast is a bit of mess to be frank lol. its very patchy from where new track has been put in.

The new lighter ballast the sandy colour, is N gauge ballast / Fine OO ballast. Brought from ebay, just over ??1 for a large bag. OO is ??1.70.

The other ballast the older stuff, is a mix of that sandy colour OO balast and Gray OO Ballast, both of these were not fine, and by ease of removal, i vacumed it up in a new hoover bag mixing the 2 togther and thus creating an odd blend of Ballast colour.

All Ballast on East Grinstead is the same N gauge Ballast used on the new sections.

Hope this answers your questions.

• Like 1

Mighty, Thanks for your comment. It was my ambition to set out to create the atmosphere or feel of the bluebell railway. My layout may not be 100% accurate, nor the new buildings accurate... but it it looks to me like the buildings on the Bluebell and at a glance most people recognise it. biggrin.gif

As for your Questions:

Adams Radial was a K's kit with a white metel body. This was brought from ebay, it was going cheap so i brought it, repainted to L.S.W.R pea green, and found a number of things weren't right. tried to fix the problems myself but i only have limited knowledge on this so i gave in and seeked help. Its needed alot of work more than thought and I apprciate the help Graham is giving me.

Which Ballast are you refering? Horsted's ballast is a bit of mess to be frank lol. its very patchy from where new track has been put in.

The new lighter ballast the sandy colour, is N gauge ballast / Fine OO ballast. Brought from ebay, just over ??1 for a large bag. OO is ??1.70.

The other ballast the older stuff, is a mix of that sandy colour OO balast and Gray OO Ballast, both of these were not fine, and by ease of removal, i vacumed it up in a new hoover bag mixing the 2 togther and thus creating an odd blend of Ballast colour.

All Ballast on East Grinstead is the same N gauge Ballast used on the new sections.

Hope this answers your questions.

Matt, thanks so much for getting back to me - very useful information. I've an idea to try and turn my layout into a Kingscote!

No problem. Sounds an interesting project, look forward to seeing how it turns out!

I've had a day off from buildings, and focused on finishng my o2 tank engine, based on W24 calbourne on the Isle of Wight. Earlier this month I purchased 2 bogies with power pickups. One was stripped and the o2 tanks wheels place on the axles. It was then wired to the motor, and it was a success and improved the running no end. whilst doing this i stripped the chassis and painted and tidied it up.

Also returned this month after work was the Dukedog, Earl of Berkeley. front bogie work and ballast was added for more pulling abiity before i could hardly pull itself. Thanks to tips and help from Graham on improving the loco.

Heres a very small video of them in testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zRUZAThlbw

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway
  • Like 1

A small update on my o2, added some pipes to the vacum westinghouse break system... think i need to paint one black, which ill do tomorrow.

100_7235.jpg

Mean while progress on the station has been going well, Firstly the ramp was finished, I tried to do some re surfacing on the platforms but found the sand was a darker than what i had used previously so decided to re-do the who lot. Also finished the wall of the bay platform, and this is how it all looks now.....

100_7227.jpg

100_7230.jpg

100_7236.jpg

100_7237.jpg

100_7238.jpg

100_7250.jpg

100_7240.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only a small update on progress, Walk ways for foot passengers at the end of the platforms have been constructed from left over sticks. Also constructed from spares, a loading ramp on the end of platform 5. This has yet to be completed.

100_7211.jpg

100_7214.jpg

100_7212.jpg

100_7213.jpg

100_7218.jpg

A small update on my o2, added some pipes to the vacum westinghouse break system... think i need to paint one black, which ill do tomorrow.

100_7235.jpg

Mean while progress on the station has been going well, Firstly the ramp was finished, I tried to do some re surfacing on the platforms but found the sand was a darker than what i had used previously so decided to re-do the who lot. Also finished the wall of the bay platform, and this is how it all looks now.....

100_7227.jpg

100_7230.jpg

100_7236.jpg

100_7237.jpg

100_7238.jpg

100_7250.jpg

100_7240.jpg

Yesterday gave me a chance due to the dry weather to uncover the out door section to resolve a power drop in Horsted Keynes sidings. The problem was found to be a loose fishplate, once replace everything was ok again. A few other sections on the out door section have been replaced, or re-aligned. More freight has arrived in the form of 2 SR cattle wagons, Since the last update the platforms have been re-surfaced making it look alot neater, the cattle loading ramp on platform 5 has been built and finished using card and left over materials. Calbourne, o2 tank has had its first run outside and performed reasonably well (See Videos). Also agreed, in December a new loco will be purchased an N15, which will feature in the new year. This was chosen as its the closest you can get to the Bluebells S15.

The last remaining jobs for december is really concerntrating on wiring of point motors to the control panel.

100_7264.jpg

100_7268.jpg

100_7269.jpg

100_7270.jpg

Untitled-TrueColor-02-1.jpg

100_7284.jpg

• Like 1

The shot under the canopies is very effective and brings back all sorts of memories. I've spent some happy days on the Bluebell that your layout evokes. Just a thought ??“ have you considered adding some posters and enamel signs to the buildings ??“ its one of those small things that I really associate with the railway.

• Like 1

The shot under the canopies is very effective and brings back all sorts of memories. I've spent some happy days on the Bluebell that your layout evokes. Just a thought ??“ have you considered adding some posters and enamel signs to the buildings ??“ its one of those small things that I really associate with the railway.

Spot on Anglian, as you say some of the shots from under the canopies, really do look just like the real thing!

Being a volunteer at the Bluebell, I'm also wondering whether someone knows something we dont with the arrival of Oliver Cromwell on the line?!? :)

Bluebell Model Railway - have you thought about contacting the Bluebell to see whether they may do a small article on your layout in their magazine? Also if you ever want to come down to the railway for a bit of a guided tour where the public can't usually get to, let me know - we can arrange a weekend when I'm working there. Keep up the excellent work!

Cheers,

Stephen

Hi anglian

Thanks for your comments, Im still adding bits to the layout and as you say its lacking in signage at the mo. On the buildings the platform island buildings there are some, as I went down to the bluebell and took pictures of the buildings and made them in a cover, to glue on to the Superquick island platform buildings, a cheap make over if you will, but successful never the less.

Still need to make that shop on platform 3 + 4... so many things I need to do.

and Stephen always good to get some feed back from Bluebell volenteers or members, which I am a member but sadly bit far away to volenteer.

Well I don't know anymore than you do about Oliver cromwell, Its a preserved line after all so artistic license lol, I do know a guy whos a trustee of the bluebell and said it would be nice to see it down there and apparently the Bluebell has good ties with the owners... so never rule it out. Plus Tornado's down there next year in August for the big 50.

You know stephen... Ive been told i should write to all these magerzines... I just haven't got round to it... I'm not one for being happy with my work... and always reluctant to send in images or info on it, cause I know its not 100% correct as it was built on a very low budget and I did what I could and added to it over the years.

But one day, maybe you never know.

Plus its a very kind offer, I may have to take you up on that, sadly Im not due down to the Bluebell till August next year for the 50th Birthday, its a lovely line wish i could go more oftern!

Regards Matt