"Wales, Rails, Rain & Steel" A micro steelworks layout... in the rain!

marc smith

Hi all,

A few folk on this forum have asked what I’ve been doing, as I haven’t posted too much lately. Well, I’ve been busy exhibiting, and building wagons for my latest project – a steelworks layout, based in South Wales.

I’ve mentioned this micro-layout to several other modellers, and at last, I’ve made a start! The layout will be around 6 feet, including fiddle-yard, and will represent part of a rod-mill, where steel coil is loaded into empties, and marshalled, ready for dispatch. Again I want to make the period flexible, so the stock will represent mid 70’s to late 80’s, and even early 90’s traffic.

All my designs seem to be micro-layouts these days, but the intention with this one, is that it could be expanded at a later date – or even connected to Hendre Lane (but, one stage at a time eh?). The plan is actually a mirror of Hendre, but this time the track in the foreground forms part of a loop. Running round and loading will take place on a sliding sector-plate to the right of the layout. (Until that next section gets built!)

Wagons are mainly plate wagons, plus variants from Parkside kits. Later wagons such as SPAs and OCAs are built from Cambrian kits.

During the 70’s, BR ex- LNER plate wagons – coded KEV, were used to carry coil, and are a simple conversion from the Parkside kit. Vertical stanchions were added to the ends – I used plastic strip for this, which is a tad too chunky - Perhaps in hindsight, I could have used brass strip – but I thought this may bend too easily. However, looking at photos of the prototype, it seems the stanchions were always bent about! I just thought it could look wrong in model form.

Another variant, the KRV is a much more complicated conversion – with everything above solebar level being scratchbuilt. I’ve only done one so far, and haven’t yet got around to painting it, as you’ll see from the photos.

post-2973-128343160785_thumb.jpg

In later years, further variants of plate wagons and trestle wagons were used for internal movements of coil and scrap coil. One or two examples have been seen at exhibition on Hendre Lane (although they would never have been there, in reality!) Painting these wagons in the lurid bright blue colours seen at Allied Steel & Wire was quite satisfying, as was making up scrap coil loads. These were actually my unsuccessful attempts at winding my own coil!

post-2973-1283431800_thumb.jpg

post-2973-128343193078_thumb.jpg

OCAs and SPAs are in original Railfreight livery – some of them very careworn, rusty and faded. If I had a pound for every one I saw in such condition………

A variant I must make is the SEA wagon – there used to be a kit produced for this conversion, which is sadly no longer available.

post-2973-128343182683_thumb.jpg

post-2973-128343186836_thumb.jpg

post-2973-128343189526_thumb.jpg

On to the layout itself, I’ve used foam insulation board as I did for my min-space O gauge layout “Clarbeston Northâ€. It’s nice & light, and easily cut to form contours. Before adding the backscene / ends, I will glue strips of wood to the underside, to create a basic framework for the backscene to attach to.

post-2973-128343198351_thumb.jpg

This worked well on “Clarbestonâ€, and if it can happily support O gauge, then 4mm should be no problem. On this note, I had a bit of a cock-up with my trackwork (my own fault!) and had to rip up a point. It was glued in place using PVA – and WOW! Had it stuck well! No worries about the strength of the board when using PVA – honestly.

Track again is OO, with points by Peco, although when finished you won’t be able to see much of the pointwork. I’m again using Exactoscale sleepers, but I wanted the headshunt in the foreground to represent track that has partly been re-laid. I’m using exactoscale concrete sleepers for this, Although the rail is code 75 bullhead, and rail for the concrete sleeper types should really be flat-bottom, I found that the base of Peco code 75 rail (being a bit broader than my finer code 75) fits the concrete sleepers OK. It’s not a tight-fit, but as I’m modelling this bit of track with several sleeper types (seen often enough in prototype track!) this adds strength.

post-2973-128343203419_thumb.jpg

There will also be some dummy track on this layout – I find that disused track is not often modelled, so I’ll include some well rusted, overgrown track here.

Thanks to Paul Bartlett, for his superb website on wagon types, and thanks to Brian R and Wayne C for their help and info - Brain really is a mine of useful info!

Special thanks to Hywel Thomas, for letting me see “Morfa†and look though his huge collection of photos. In my youth, I foolishly never took too much note of wagon types – but I’m glad someone did. Just where would we be without such invaluable photos now?

Cheers all

Marc :D

post-2973-128343156259_thumb.jpg

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Marc - Looks to be an interesting project with some nicely crafted rolling stock and definitely one to watch :D

In terms of the length, is the 6ft, the extent of the track plan shown in the photo above together with the sector plate as run-a-round? Did I understand correctly?

Pete

Marc - Looks to be an interesting project with some nicely crafted rolling stock and definitely one to watch :D

In terms of the length, is the 6ft, the extent of the track plan shown in the photo above together with the sector plate as run-a-round? Did I understand correctly?

Pete

Hi Pete,

In the photo is the "main" board of the layout - with half of the run round loop.

It's a tad over 3 feet, and I will trim it a little, once it's nearly finished.

(my original plan was just 2 feet 6 inches, but it was somewhat limiting!)

The sector plate will be a separate board, comprising 3 roads.

I built such a sliding sector plate for Hendre, using drawer runners.

but I used ply for the moving surface - and it warped! - Even though I coated both sides with PVA.

I've found the insulation board to be fab.

Apparently, it doesn't warp - so far, I've used it for a few models,

one of which was the min-space O gauge layout, and this seems to be the case.

The sector-plate as planned will be a tad under 3 feet.

However, I'm thinking about adding a loco release at the end of the plate -

perhaps this can be hinged, or removable......

...we'll see.

I've been really itching to get this one up & running,

Steelworks layouts seem to be gaining interest - 2 of the other local Cardiffians are also planning steelworks based layouts, (Wayne 37901, and Brian r) and I'm sure these will be great models.

I've seen photos of Brian's progress, and it's looking really good!

Chatting to Hywel, and while planning this one, it occurred to me that when you do see a steelworks layout,

they either seem to be portraying the whole works (nothing wrong with that, if you have space)

or they represent loading/ unloading bar-section, or even sheet metal.

I've not seen another rod-mill trype layout, as per Cardiff rod-mill

Of course, I stand to be corrected here - I'd certainly like to see a model of one.

I do like the look of those coils of wire- can't wait to fill all my wagons with it! :rolleyes:

I've also planned something a little different, re the final presentation of this one....

...but more of that later.

Cheers

Marc

Hi all,

A few folk on this forum have asked what I’ve been doing, as I haven’t posted too much lately. Well, I’ve been busy exhibiting, and building wagons for my latest project – a steelworks layout, based in South Wales.

I’ve mentioned this micro-layout to several other modellers, and at last, I’ve made a start! The layout will be around 6 feet, including fiddle-yard, and will represent part of a rod-mill, where steel coil is loaded into empties, and marshalled, ready for dispatch. Again I want to make the period flexible, so the stock will represent mid 70’s to late 80’s, and even early 90’s traffic.

All my designs seem to be micro-layouts these days, but the intention with this one, is that it could be expanded at a later date – or even connected to Hendre Lane (but, one stage at a time eh?). The plan is actually a mirror of Hendre, but this time the track in the foreground forms part of a loop. Running round and loading will take place on a sliding sector-plate to the right of the layout. (Until that next section gets built!)

Wagons are mainly plate wagons, plus variants from Parkside kits. Later wagons such as SPAs and OCAs are built from Cambrian kits.

During the 70’s, BR ex- LNER plate wagons – coded KEV, were used to carry coil, and are a simple conversion from the Parkside kit. Vertical stanchions were added to the ends – I used plastic strip for this, which is a tad too chunky - Perhaps in hindsight, I could have used brass strip – but I thought this may bend too easily. However, looking at photos of the prototype, it seems the stanchions were always bent about! I just thought it could look wrong in model form.

Another variant, the KRV is a much more complicated conversion – with everything above solebar level being scratchbuilt. I’ve only done one so far, and haven’t yet got around to painting it, as you’ll see from the photos.

post-2973-128343160785_thumb.jpg

In later years, further variants of plate wagons and trestle wagons were used for internal movements of coil and scrap coil. One or two examples have been seen at exhibition on Hendre Lane (although they would never have been there, in reality!) Painting these wagons in the lurid bright blue colours seen at Allied Steel & Wire was quite satisfying, as was making up scrap coil loads. These were actually my unsuccessful attempts at winding my own coil!

post-2973-1283431800_thumb.jpg

post-2973-128343193078_thumb.jpg

OCAs and SPAs are in original Railfreight livery – some of them very careworn, rusty and faded. If I had a pound for every one I saw in such condition………

A variant I must make is the SEA wagon – there used to be a kit produced for this conversion, which is sadly no longer available.

post-2973-128343182683_thumb.jpg

post-2973-128343186836_thumb.jpg

post-2973-128343189526_thumb.jpg

On to the layout itself, I’ve used foam insulation board as I did for my min-space O gauge layout “Clarbeston North”. It’s nice & light, and easily cut to form contours. Before adding the backscene / ends, I will glue strips of wood to the underside, to create a basic framework for the backscene to attach to.

post-2973-128343198351_thumb.jpg

This worked well on “Clarbeston”, and if it can happily support O gauge, then 4mm should be no problem. On this note, I had a bit of a cock-up with my trackwork (my own fault!) and had to rip up a point. It was glued in place using PVA – and WOW! Had it stuck well! No worries about the strength of the board when using PVA – honestly.

Track again is OO, with points by Peco, although when finished you won’t be able to see much of the pointwork. I’m again using Exactoscale sleepers, but I wanted the headshunt in the foreground to represent track that has partly been re-laid. I’m using exactoscale concrete sleepers for this, Although the rail is code 75 bullhead, and rail for the concrete sleeper types should really be flat-bottom, I found that the base of Peco code 75 rail (being a bit broader than my finer code 75) fits the concrete sleepers OK. It’s not a tight-fit, but as I’m modelling this bit of track with several sleeper types (seen often enough in prototype track!) this adds strength.

post-2973-128343203419_thumb.jpg

There will also be some dummy track on this layout – I find that disused track is not often modelled, so I’ll include some well rusted, overgrown track here.

Thanks to Paul Bartlett, for his superb website on wagon types, and thanks to Brian R and Wayne C for their help and info - Brain really is a mine of useful info!

Special thanks to Hywel Thomas, for letting me see “Morfa” and look though his huge collection of photos. In my youth, I foolishly never took too much note of wagon types – but I’m glad someone did. Just where would we be without such invaluable photos now?

Cheers all

Marc biggrin.gif

Dear Marc

Thanks for the heads up! The KEV and KRV are lovely. What about some of the smaller KSV conversions - although they seem to have been withdrawn in advance of the KRV and KEV they worked mixed with them - and being smaller may be more appropriate for a mini layout. BR and pre-nationalisation Coil S - open merchandise conversion – photographs includes SR, LMS, LNER and BR wagons

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brrodcoilksv

I expect you realise that many bogie bolsters of various types were used for rod coil movements just internally in Cardiff between the works and port. Cardiff - Allied Steel and Wire - internal user wagons -

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/alliedsteelwire

Paul Bartlett

Edited by hmrspaul

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc,

At last something to show! So you have been busy working quietly in the background!

The wagons and their loads are very good - I imagine that there should be quite a variety of wagons / loads which by changing over will ring the changes.

Have you wound the coils yourself? If so what did you use? I would like to pinch your ideas as I would like to make a load or two for my own wagons on Orchard Road to stand in the siding. I will be using removable loads on all of my wagons so that can change over as the mood takes me.

I like you idea for the renewed track with the mixture of sleepers - should look good. Also, the disused track will be a great scenic feature - you will need to borrow someones 'Grassmaster' for that one!!

Will follow this closely!

Richard

Dear Marc

Thanks for the heads up! The KEV and KRV are lovely......

I expect you realise that many bogie bolsters of various types were used for rod coil movements just internally in Cardiff between the works and port. Cardiff - Allied Steel and Wire - internal user wagons - 34 photographs

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/show_collection.php?id=22393

Paul Bartlett

No problems Paul!

If it were'nt for good folk like yourself, we wouldn't have such invaluable photographs.

I know I'm not alone, in being interested mainly in locos - when I was a lad.

I just failed to take note of what the locos were transporting - i.e. the very reason for them being there!!!!

Please post some piccies on this thread - if you get time...

...I'm sure others, who haven't seen your collection would be interested.

Thanks again for taking the piccies - I don't know what I'd be modelling now if you hadn't :D

Cheers again

Marc

P.S. You must have spent pots of money on film!

Just thought I'd add a photo of one of the buildings for this little project.

It's a Skytrex resin low-relief building, which they market, unpainted, and for O gauge.

Skytrex do a good range of O gauge huts, structures + wagon loads, which are really good quality. They now market the goods shed (Hemyock) which I used on my minimum space O gauge "Clarbeston North" layout.

They do another, similar low-relief industrial building of about the same size.

I think this one works well in 4mm scale, as there are no standard-sized type doors to act as a giveaway. The roller door looks fine in 4mm - and I even think the building may look a tad small in 7mm.

I've painted it with my usual mix of Games Workshop acrylic paints,

suitably grubbied + weathered, but passing the ASW site the other day -

I think I may fade this building a bit more.

I'll post some more building pics shortly, as I complete + "plant" them.

post-2973-128376546155_thumb.jpg

I've finished wiring the layout - the 3 way was troublesome, as a switch failed after I'd glued it all down! :rolleyes: Still, installed an additional one, and it's fine now.

Cheers

Marc

P.S. Other buildings are Wills corrugated iron / asbestos, wills box-section, bits of a Peco diesel depot, and I've recently bought some Walthers which looks great.

• Like 3

Looking good Mark, I look forward to seeing more photos of your buildings. The SPAs look really good, a nice Metals 37, 56 or 60 will look rather nice on those.

Thanks,

I just bought a nice metals-sector 37.

A really nice conversion to 37901.

A young chap called Alex, a 7mm modeller who I met at DEMU did the conversion.

Really nice job he's done too!

I'll add a touch of my own weathering - particularly on the bogies,

and then post some piccies (gotta get sound in there too).

I'll be adding a metals-sector 56 to my collection sometime in the future -

cos I gotta have one of them too! :rolleyes:

Marc

• Like 1

Spray-weathered the track,

must continue with ballasting soon.

I'm busy at Swindon, with Hendre this coming weekend,

so perhaps I should take the steelworks layout with me,

and do some ballasting in the evenings :rolleyes:

It's a task I enjoy, for about 20 minutes,

then get a bit tired of.

I can't imagine ballasting anything but a micro these days :lol:

Marc

P.S. I've got some replacement Oleo buffers for those wagons - I just need to find some time to fit them.

Don't know why I bothered fitting the plastic ones really,

but somehow I couldn't bear to paint them without any buffers in place :huh:

"....... Thanks to Paul Bartlett, for his superb website on wagon types, and thanks to Brian R and Wayne C for their help and info - Brain really is a mine of useful info!........."

"....... Steelworks layouts seem to be gaining interest - 2 of the other local Cardiffians are also planning steelworks based layouts, (Wayne 37901, and Brian r) and I'm sure these will be great models.

I've seen photos of Brian's progress, and it's looking really good!........."

Do I owe you money Marc ?

I´m impressed by your ASW conversions of the ex-BR ´Plate´wagons.

I´ll leave you to do the ´Rod Mill´side of the modelling and I´ll stick to bars, sections, angles and flats but

at the moment replacement windows, a dodgy pool pump and repairs to a leaky roof following the last "Gotta Frie" are taking precedence over my ´Cardiff Bar & Section Mill´ ........ but I´ll be back next Wednesday to take a break from the 35´C heat and crack on with ´the competition´

Good Luck and keep it coming, see you at the end of the month.

Brian R

Hi Marc,

Just found this thread & it looks like this is going to be another cracker of a layout! I really like your wagons, & that building is none to shabby either (except that it's meant to be shabby isn't it.....well, I guess you know what I mean!! :blink: )

I've finally managed to get a 5 foot & a bit foamboard baseboard finished & had thought I'd finally settled on a suitable track layout for it. Then I started spending too much time hanging around Knuckle Yard & I find myself actually starting to like 66's (I think being able to stand so close to them at rail level may have altered my perspective!!) - so my best laid plans have gone out the window again - & here I find you now building a steelworks insprired layout & I'm thinking of changing my mind again - aaaargggh!!! :D But I think a layout based on Knuckle in anything less than an aircraft hangar may be a bit of a struggle....?!

Looking forward to seeing this one progress (especially when you get the loco's done!) - & maybe at L&B next year....??!!

All the best

Keef

Hi Marc,

....I've finally managed to get a 5 foot & a bit foamboard baseboard finished & had thought I'd finally settled on a suitable track layout for it. Then I started spending too much time hanging around Knuckle Yard & I find myself actually starting to like 66's ....I'm thinking of changing my mind again - aaaargggh!!! :D But I think a layout based on Knuckle in anything less than an aircraft hangar may be a bit of a struggle....?!

Looking forward to seeing this one progress (especially when you get the loco's done!) - & maybe at L&B next year....??!!

All the best

Keef

Hey Keef,

Glad you got the foamboard done.

It is difficult to keep focussed, when building a layout,

but focussed you must stay, if you want to finish it!

I've been thinking about this steelworks layout for a long time now,

and building the Crate (Bracty Bridge) and the O gauge min-space really got in the way of this one.......

Could you adapt the plan in any way, to include 66's?

a 5 foot baseboard sounds plenty to me - but it will depend on your plan of course.

As Stubby says - he could get a continent in 6 feet :lol:

If you could take a pic, or draw out your plan, you must post it.

I'm sure you could adapt it in some way....

I spend a fair bit of time at Margam Knuckle, so I know what you mean about it being inspiring. And yes, you would need a fair bit of space to do it justice, or even capture the feel of the place.

Perhaps there's room on your plan to do all your shunting with an 08,

and just stable a 66?

Then you'll be wanting sound too!

Let me know what you decide

Best

Marc :D

P.S. I've already had my invitation to L&B next year,

and will hopefully be taking this one along.

Also hoping the good Captain K has space for it at the next Taunton members day too.....

As Keefr says,

Margan Knuckle yard is a fab place to watch trains, and you can get up-close.

66's a couple of 08's, and the occasional 60 occupy the yard.

The yard is next to the steelworks, and also sees traffic for the tanker terminal at Robeston.

The steelworks locos are really fab, and watching movements at this yard have really inspired me in starting this layout.

Here is a link to my gallery, which contains images taken at Margam Knuckle

(hope it works!!!)

Smiths Snaps!

Marc

• Like 1

Focus? What's that??!! Only Focus I have is the thing I have to drive...!!

I know what you mean though Marc, & I've decided to totally ignore the lure of the steelworks & stick with what I'd already decided. I think....!! :unsure: :D (However, I do know that even if I now have a grudging respect for 66's, I won't be buying any, not when there are 37's to get....!!)

Anyway, I won't take up any more of your thread other than to say I'm looking forward to your progress!

Keef

• 2 weeks later...

Not a huge amount of progress on this little project lately, but I thought I’d post an update and a clearer plan.

The track is laid + wired. Though there are a couple of “dummy†pieces of track to be laid. I’ve been ballasting, at a very slow pace – half an hour here & there. Ballasting is never my fave task – even on a very small layout, it always seems to take longer than anticipated.

post-2973-097165000 1285601533_thumb.jpg

The fiddle yard will be a 3 road sliding sector-plate, and after the one I built for Hendre, I will NOT be using plywood again! Looking at the plan, I’ve been thinking about the possibility of adding a couple of further loco-release sidings beyond the end of the fiddle – just for added flexibility and ease of operation for exhibition.

As this layout is Allied Steel & Wire inspired, I will be installing some overhead pipework (see attached photos). I feel this is something that really lends a sense of atmosphere and location to the layout, and could help make or break the model. I’ve yet to decide exactly how to approach the suspension columns / gantry for this, but I will be trying a few materials in the near future.

post-2973-061414800 1285601605_thumb.jpg

post-2973-084236400 1285601625_thumb.jpg

I’m thinking about using the gantry form the Ratio overhead crane – possibly the N gauge version. Together with a mix of Knightwing girders – I need to see how they “sit†together firstly. At the site of ASW Cardiff (now Celsa) close observation reveals several types and design of girder support…..

I also have yard lamps ready to install – and I’m sure that will take me ages to install / solder etc. Still, I’m not really in a rush to finish this one! When using this sort of foamboard as a base material, you can either install the wiring so that it passes right through the board as per using MDF, or you can bury the wiring altogether, as I have opted for here.

This of course, means that wiring is no longer prone to damage when transporting the layout – but you have to get it right, with no dodgy or “dry†solder joints, otherwise you could end up digging the wiring back up again at a later date!

I’ve included a couple of my own pics of the site, just to give a feel for the area and the overgrown, unkempt nature of the site. For more pics, take a look at Brian R’s photos on his thread – he’s got dozens of pics, of this delightfully grubby industrial site.

post-2973-032147100 1285601652_thumb.jpg

After a bit of a dearth of layouts of this sort of prototype, now that Brian and Wayne are building their layouts too - I hope there won't be too many around in the future :rolleyes:

Cheers :D

Marc

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
I’ve yet to decide exactly how to approach the suspension columns / gantry for this, but I will be trying a few materials in the near future

Marc,

Have a look at the Airfix Signal Gantry (Google the images) - the legs look just about right for the support legs for your pipes.

Or you could try Pete Harvey's radio mast etch.

Cheers

Stu